Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate in May of next year. I currently reside in DeKalb Il, but born and raised in Chicago. I'm interested in moving to a nice suburb outside of Chicago. I have a nine year old son and need to make sure the area has low crime and excellent schools. I'm also interested in returning to school to work on my MSW. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Depends on your price range really. What price range do you want to fall in? Right now the most bang for your buck is still in Lockport, Homer Glen, Lemont or New Lenox, but that is without 355 being there yet. Things will change in the not too distant future there. If you are looking for higher end homes which come with higher price tags, you can move a little closer in like Naperville, Oak Brook, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Willowbrook, Hinsdale, Darien but again those areas have higher priced homes. Then you can get a little closer in towards Chicago; like Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Palos Hills and still be in a very nice safe community with good schools, but the area is a little older and contains less young families, however there are some areas that are in Burbank where there are alot of young families still (83rd and Naraganssett) and many people are doing remodels, teardowns and add-ons to the homes there plus the homes are on 1/2-1 acre lots there in many cases. Happy house hunting!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Have you looked into the western burbs? Youd be about 1/2 way between DeKalb and Chicago. Places like Elburn, Wheaton, Wayne, Warrenville, Naperville, Geneva, Wasco, St. Charles, etc have great schools. Depends on how much $$ you have to spend....

Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
Default Illinois Location request

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Depends on your price range really. What price range do you want to fall in? Right now the most bang for your buck is still in Lockport, Homer Glen, Lemont or New Lenox, but that is without 355 being there yet. Things will change in the not too distant future there. If you are looking for higher end homes which come with higher price tags, you can move a little closer in like Naperville, Oak Brook, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Willowbrook, Hinsdale, Darien but again those areas have higher priced homes. Then you can get a little closer in towards Chicago; like Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Palos Hills and still be in a very nice safe community with good schools, but the area is a little older and contains less young families, however there are some areas that are in Burbank where there are alot of young families still (83rd and Naraganssett) and many people are doing remodels, teardowns and add-ons to the homes there plus the homes are on 1/2-1 acre lots there in many cases. Happy house hunting!
I read this thread and this quote interests me. We're relocating from Australia to IL, USA. We are originally from N.J. and moved to Melbourne about 2 years ago, we're repatriating now. Job located in Napreville area.

We have 2 young boys, 8 + 3, interested primarily in great local public schools that they can attend. We're also looking for neighbourhoods that are great to rasie kids, i.e. parks, towne centre activities etc and have shopping etc within close reach, not miles and miles away. Initially looking to rent a single family newer home, can do a 2yr lease if required. Won't want to spend anything more than $1800-$2000/month... Where do we fall?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J.relo View Post
I read this thread and this quote interests me. We're relocating from Australia to IL, USA. We are originally from N.J. and moved to Melbourne about 2 years ago, we're repatriating now. Job located in Napreville area.

We have 2 young boys, 8 + 3, interested primarily in great local public schools that they can attend. We're also looking for neighbourhoods that are great to rasie kids, i.e. parks, towne centre activities etc and have shopping etc within close reach, not miles and miles away. Initially looking to rent a single family newer home, can do a 2yr lease if required. Won't want to spend anything more than $1800-$2000/month... Where do we fall?
You can rent a place in Naperville for that and it would meet your other requirements.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Wheaton is a great town, it's got an established town center with nice shops and it's on Metra to the Loop. It's also closer to the city than Naperville and not as sprawling. Of course, it really depends on where you're going to work. The Chicago area is HUGE compared to Melbourne.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM

363 posts, read 439,862 times
Please tell me more about Wheaton. I'm currently unemployed in the south suburban area of Chicago; the jobs in the Chicago area seem to be west and north of here. Ideally I would rent for 1-2 years only, as we are thinking very seriously of moving out of state. I couldn't afford more than $1300 month, probably less.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; 10-21-2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Argh, OP is from two years ago, but PrairieGirl asks current question about Wheaton...

Probably better to start new thread. Wheaton has some dedicated rental units that would be in price range, but need to know more about how large a place is desired...

Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
Thanks "almost3am & knitgirl".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs