Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 48,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
The illegals have ruined many otherwise promising communities. As for driving, many have no license or insurance. Driving drunk or high, driving the wrong way on one-way streets, driving in reverse the length of a city block, holding drag races in the alleys, etc. And that is just driving. What about those who live 4 families to a house, hold mariachi parties with live bands in urban backyards, engage in dog-fighting etc? When will people understand that anyone who gets into this country illegally has no fear and/or respect of ANY law?
I buy the economic arguments, but what I don't get is how you can tell it's the illegals committing all the offenses above? I've found the illegals to be more on the straight and narrow, keeping a low profile to AVOID getting deported, etc. Your above description sounds more like unemployed legals!

"hold mariachi parties with live bands in urban backyards"

That sounds like a lot of fun! How is that a crime on par with drunk driving? Give me a call next time your neighbors kick out the Mariachi jams, I'd like to check it out!

The government has to go after the business men who are profiting off this. Bottomline, follow the money. And they don't want to do that because it will **** off business.

And you are right, we are all complicit in this if we eat out, hire people for yardwork, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM

94 posts, read 466,769 times
All the baby boomers have empty nested and dont have kids to do their lawns. Not to mention the fact that no self respecting kid in this day and age is going to mow a lawn for under 20 or 30 dollars leaves little option for much else.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
The illegals have ruined many otherwise promising communities. As for driving, many have no license or insurance. Driving drunk or high, driving the wrong way on one-way streets, driving in reverse the length of a city block, holding drag races in the alleys, etc. And that is just driving. What about those who live 4 families to a house, hold mariachi parties with live bands in urban backyards, engage in dog-fighting etc? When will people understand that anyone who gets into this country illegally has no fear and/or respect of ANY law?
Boy, that's a lot of stereotypes packed into one paragraph there! The most I've seen on the Board in some time, and that's saying something. Definitely a City-Data Forum "Web Gem."

I won't bother delving into why they are mostly wrong, because Soho already did that. All I'll say is that agree that illegal immigration is an issue that the country must get a handle on. But until Americans stand up and refuse to participate in it on an economic level nothing is going to happen. As long as there's a demand for the cheap services they provide, it's going to continue. And as long as the illegal immigrants are concentrated in a few areas, there probably won't be any major outcry. Most communities are still largely isolated from the negative effects, for now.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 AM

338 posts, read 616,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Boy, that's a lot of stereotypes packed into one paragraph there! The most I've seen on the Board in some time, and that's saying something. Definitely a City-Data Forum "Web Gem."

I won't bother delving into why they are mostly wrong, because Soho already did that. All I'll say is that agree that illegal immigration is an issue that the country must get a handle on. But until Americans stand up and refuse to participate in it on an economic level nothing is going to happen. As long as there's a demand for the cheap services they provide, it's going to continue. And as long as the illegal immigrants are concentrated in a few areas, there probably won't be any major outcry. Most communities are still largely isolated from the negative effects, for now.
With all due respect, Bru----ethnics Know Their Own! It's not fun living in a mess, it's called watching a working class enclave degenerate into a ghetto.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Apparently not the restaurants though. I don't mean to pick on you but we need to understand that all of Chicagoland is enjoying the fruits of illegal immigration. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. Unless we are prepared to completely boycott all businesses which use this labor (probably 99% of restaurants and the other businesses I cited), all of our rallying against illegal immigrants will always be somewhat hypocritical. IMHO of course.
OK,I wont go to any more restaraunts ever ever again

Old 07-27-2007, 11:37 AM

15 posts, read 50,517 times
Default I appreciate all the feedback

although I didn't mean to start a debate on illegal immigration I really like the candid responses, though.

Miami is diverse but by no means are we all holding hands and singing Kumbaya - it looks like the issues are relatively the same no matter where you go (we struggle with illegal immigration here too). We will probably be visiting Naperville and surrounding areas just to see for ourselves - I have a feeling the cold winters would be more of a drawback than the diversity issue .

Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Mom View Post
I have a feeling the cold winters would be more of a drawback than the diversity issue .
I agree. But if you can survive Miami summers, you can survive Chicago's winters. You might actually love the super-dry air in winter, and far less hot/humid summers here. Who knows? Best of luck in your move. Also check out St. Charles, Geneva, Bartlett, Wheaton, Warrenville, Winfield, Plainfield, Wasco, Elburn, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, etc.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 AM

153 posts, read 209,766 times
What ever you do don't consider the North Shore. I live in Evanston a progressive town on the North Shore but Hispanics don't do as well as Asians and African-Americans. Hispanics could do well in maybe Schaumburg or Skokie, wide range I know. But this is the truth. There is already tension in schools between Blacks and Whites here in Evanston.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,327 times
[quote=jenrik2714;1135210]So basically what you are saying is Latinos are going to bring these communities down? What difference does it make if they are here legally or not you shouldn't get pulled over for driving while black or mexican. Most Latinos are hard working and provide for their families. I think the most dangerous people in Naperville are the teenagers who were born with silver spoons in their mouths who get away with anything because their parents have money. :madI totally agree with you. I have never seen teenagers so disrespectful as I have seen in Naperville. I have live on the South Side of Chicago and I have not seen the disrespect or vandalism I have seen in Naperville. My husband is African American is is always getting pulled over for NO reason at all. It doesn't matter if you live in a million dollar neighboor if you are Black in Naperville and Male you are going to get pulled over for NO reason at all. Yes Naperville Police officers are racist and it has EVERYTHING to do with race. Don't fool yourself.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In the last five years: 3 exhaust tickets (2 Wheaton,1 St. Charles), 1 moving violation for not coming to a complete stop at a frickin stop sign (Wheaton), 1 ticket for having license plate lights out (Wasco), 1 ticket for squealing my tires (Oregon, IL), 1 warning for loud exhaust (West Chicago), 1 ticket for speeding (DeKalb/Sycamore area). Besides the speeding, tell me those arent rediculous. The licensce plate lights was understandable, but a lady in a Jeep backed into me in Geneva and knocked em out of operation. That wasnt my fault. And dont call me a liar, you dont know me. Im way past the age where I feel the need to lie.

I wont mention the speeding ticket in Oklahoma (7 over), WI (just cuz I had IL plates) and Arizona for following too closely.

Wow! You must just look like a trouble maker! Ha Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs