Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,919 times

Advertisements

I think it's a bit mellow dramatic to state, "Oak Park is forced to accept the souless national retailers in town / across Harlem in River Forest that destroys the character that once made the area quaint." I don't believe anyone has ever expressed opposition to non independent businesses moving in, just that they don't take over the town and turn it into a characterless place and lose support for independent businesses... neither of which have happened.

I should emphasize that Oak Parks vibrant downtown is JUST ONE reason people move here, but the HUGE advantage it has over places like Hinsdale, Naperville etc... is that not only is the "core" walkable, but a significant portion of residents have walkable access from their residence to the "core" without the premium. Also, some people are willing to give up a little glitz for a place with less of a real housewives feel to it... though I find the Oak Park downtown plenty quaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
sorry - Cozy Corner

yikes... probably the worst choice of all the places to eat at the mall.

Honestly, I don't know why that place has remained for the past 30+ years.... But I guess every town needs an old diner.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

Honestly, I don't know why that place has remained for the past 30+ years.... But I guess every town needs an old diner.
There is probably enough of an aging population to support places like this.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I think it's a bit mellow dramatic to state, "Oak Park is forced to accept the souless national retailers in town / across Harlem in River Forest that destroys the character that once made the area quaint." I don't believe anyone has ever expressed opposition to non independent businesses moving in, just that they don't take over the town and turn it into a characterless place and lose support for independent businesses... neither of which have happened.

I should emphasize that Oak Parks vibrant downtown is JUST ONE reason people move here, but the HUGE advantage it has over places like Hinsdale, Naperville etc... is that not only is the "core" walkable, but a significant portion of residents have walkable access from their residence to the "core" without the premium. Also, some people are willing to give up a little glitz for a place with less of a real housewives feel to it... though I find the Oak Park downtown plenty quaint.
I should add that one only needs to walk around different streets in downtown Oak Park to realize that the sheer number of small businesses far out number the large national retailers. Most people I know in Oak Park don't cement their idea of the character of Oak Park based on the store on and across the border of the town... they tend to base it on the majority of that which is going on in the town, but of course one would have to spend enough time in this place to know that, and not just merely drive along Harlem ave. What does it say about one who is trying to look for the quaintness and character of Oak Park in a River Forest mall?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
I was over at Divine Consign in Oak Park - they are on Oak Park just north of the expressway (800 block of S Oak Park Ave?) anyway, there is a cute little bunch of shops right over there, it almost made me want to move up there if i were to pick a cute part of Oak Park to live in.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was over at Divine Consign in Oak Park - they are on Oak Park just north of the expressway (800 block of S Oak Park Ave?) anyway, there is a cute little bunch of shops right over there, it almost made me want to move up there if i were to pick a cute part of Oak Park to live in.
That's an amazingly affordable area of Oak Park as well, with great access to the city. The amenities in southern Oak Park are very underrated, in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's an amazingly affordable area of Oak Park as well, with great access to the city. The amenities in southern Oak Park are very underrated, in my opinion.
South Oak Park was where the rough-neck Irish like the Hogans, McGuires and McGoverns lived. And quite a few Bohemians and Italians too. Not proper Oak Park people; definitely not your Waspy Unitarian types.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
South Oak Park was where the rough-neck Irish like the Hogans, McGuires and McGoverns lived. And quite a few Bohemians and Italians too. Not proper Oak Park people; definitely not your Waspy Unitarian types.
There's a shift in lot size that occurs at Madison Street. The lots south of Madison Street are typically quite a bit smaller, and perhaps this was the original dividing line of affordability in the village?

One advantage now to living on one of those smaller lots is that the property taxes are a bit more manageable. But a friend who grew up down there points out that you can sometimes hear your neighbors arguing since the houses are so close together.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I liked the atmosphere of the place, plus a few shops, it looked like a good place to live in that part of Oak Park, if I wanted to move there.. i had been checking apartments and I like to see the neighborhood, and well I was frankly surprised that there were so many shops at that part of town.. i've never been there before and was pleasantly surprised.. Plus i now like that store a lot! Imma gonna go back there next time i am looking for something to buy like furniture, or decorations.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Melodrama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

World Wide Words: Harsh one's mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs