Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM

29 posts, read 78,114 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are looking to relocate in the western suburbs with easy access to I-88 (I will be working at Westchester/Broadview where I-88 merges with I-290).

We travel to Naperville very often on weekends (to the Science of Spirituality Meditation center), and quite often to West Chicago (my in laws's home)

I am looking to rent a 2b 1.5b apartment or townhome, somewhere in the price range of $1100 to $1250. Naperville/Glen Ellyn seems to be too pricey, may be out of budget.

I have shortlisted the following suburbs:
Downers Grove
Lisle
Lombard
Oak Brook Terrace
Westmont

I would request you all to help me with more information about these and help pick the most relevant.
Also, if you have any additional suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Downers probably is a little nicer than the others, but apartments are not easy to find with that combination of price / size. Oakbrook Terrace rentals tend to be overpriced becuase of corproate rental situstion with proxmity to Oak Brook.

Maybe Lombard...

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for your response. I just did some research for Oak Brook Terrace, it is way out of my budget.
Do you know if I can find condos for rent in any of these suburbs?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Your budget is a little tight, but I don't see any problem pulling it off in downers, lisle, warrenville or lombard.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM

How do Downers Grove, Lisle, Lombard, Westmont compare with each other? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
one tip id give you is try to be close to an expressway. ive lived in aurora nad naperville reently and your not far from the city or anything else from that matter however when you dont live near an expressway like i didnt your looking at a 30 minute commute just to get on 88 where as otherwise in 30 minutes i could probably be downtown if traffic isn't bad. downers grove is probably gonna be out of price range. i like lombard though there are some sketchy areas, totally safe just not where id want to live. i feel the same about westmont. one community id recommend is villa park. not sure what i like about it but i like it. its right near oakbrook and all the shopping, restaurants, etc. they have a nice prairie path, close to 88, 290, 294 all expressways. people there just seem very friendly and nice almost too the point of being annoying ie pulling up to a 4 way stop and spending 2 miutes there because everyone wants to wait for everyone else to go first. ong there prairie path people will like sit in the street stopped in there car waiting for a biker or walker a block away to come and passs lol. its also much more affordable than some of the places you mentioned

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
one tip id give you is try to be close to an expressway.
Tip number 2: Stay west of the Hillside Bottleneck if your job location is west of there (where I-88 splits off of I-290, and I-290 joins up temporarily with I-294). The bottleneck itself isn't terrible any more, but 290 is usually seriously congested between the Manheim onramp and First Avenue. Both directions.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
one tip id give you is try to be close to an expressway. ive lived in aurora nad naperville reently and your not far from the city or anything else from that matter however when you dont live near an expressway like i didnt your looking at a 30 minute commute just to get on 88 where as otherwise in 30 minutes i could probably be downtown if traffic isn't bad. downers grove is probably gonna be out of price range. i like lombard though there are some sketchy areas, totally safe just not where id want to live. i feel the same about westmont. one community id recommend is villa park. not sure what i like about it but i like it. its right near oakbrook and all the shopping, restaurants, etc. they have a nice prairie path, close to 88, 290, 294 all expressways. people there just seem very friendly and nice almost too the point of being annoying ie pulling up to a 4 way stop and spending 2 miutes there because everyone wants to wait for everyone else to go first. ong there prairie path people will like sit in the street stopped in there car waiting for a biker or walker a block away to come and passs lol. its also much more affordable than some of the places you mentioned
Thanks for your tip doodlemagic.
I totally agree with you, I have had numerous discussions with my wife regarding this and living close to the highway makes a lot of sense. It can easily shave off 15 minutes each way from your commutes.
I have had similar responses from other people: that Lombard and Westmont are less preferable, not unsafe though. I wonder why?

I will surely check out Villa Park.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Tip number 2: Stay west of the Hillside Bottleneck if your job location is west of there (where I-88 splits off of I-290, and I-290 joins up temporarily with I-294). The bottleneck itself isn't terrible any more, but 290 is usually seriously congested between the Manheim onramp and First Avenue. Both directions.
Thanks lookout kid.
My work is actually located in Broadview which needs me to take exit 19A for 17th street.
I have already experienced the bottleneck on 290E past Manheim Rd, so I take the exit for Manheim Rd. and then take Cermark Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs