Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times

Advertisements

Cobolt I actually used to waitress at Swensons when I was in high school. We used to go to Dr. Jazz when I was a kid. Many of my friends had birthday parties there. What was that huge sunday called? The one that had like 12 scoops of ice cream?

You must have been from Evanston or spent a lot of time there.

Later I was introduced to Zephyrs off of Ravenswood. That was a fun place that is now a pizza/Italian place.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Cobolt I actually used to waitress at Swensons when I was in high school. We used to go to Dr. Jazz when I was a kid. Many of my friends had birthday parties there. What was that huge sunday called? The one that had like 12 scoops of ice cream?

Later I was introduced to Zephyrs off of Ravenswood. That was a fun place that is now a pizza/Italian place.
Naaah. We actually lived a few blocks west of Lawrence and Western. I grew up there. My dad took us all around though....we traveled to the burbs...the grandparents eventually moved out there. I'm trying to think of this other joint we used to have the birthday parties. Man...it was right next to Rainbow ice skating rink or near that area....I'll have to think on that. Gotta run to a meeting right now.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:

Zephyrs is not an Italian/Pizza place now. The storefronts it once occupied are re opening soon as an Irish Bar and Grill.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Naaah. We actually lived a few blocks west of Lawrence and Western. I grew up there. My dad took us all around though....we traveled to the burbs...the grandparents eventually moved out there. I'm trying to think of this other joint we used to have the birthday parties. Man...it was right next to Rainbow ice skating rink or near that area....I'll have to think on that. Gotta run to a meeting right now.
The Rainbow is gone. Now a condo complex stands there.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Rainbow is gone. Now a condo complex stands there.
Yeah...I'm sure it's gone. The last time I was around, I hardly recognized the old hood. Used to live on Lawrence and Washtenaw St....back when the hood was a mix of Euro working class immigrants. Anyway...there used to be this like pizza/ice cream joint near (I think) the Rainbow Ice rink..Kids would go there for birthday parties...they had like a stageshow with people dressed in those animal costumes....music playing....It's like the name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Avengfire - do you know the pizza place I am talking about? How far off am I on the Zephry thing? I thought for sure when I went to eat there last month it was the old Zephyrs place - oh well - the last time I was at Zephrys was like 22 years ago.

I remember the rainbow too - we went skating there for fun - not often, but sometimes we had friends who had partied there. We used to do a lot in the city with my family - especially on free days at the museums. All summer you could count on going to the museums - The only thing I didn't get to see but wanted to was the Tut exhibit. I remember I cried because my parents couldn't take me. I think I had chicken pox that summer. Oh well.

So Cobolt did you go to the Aragon a lot or the Riveria? We used to go see concerts there - I saw Prince at the Aragon in like 88? Tons of Reggae at the Riveria!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:

I remember the rainbow too - we went skating there for fun - not often, but sometimes we had friends who had partied there. We used to do a lot in the city with my family - especially on free days at the museums. All summer you could count on going to the museums - The only thing I didn't get to see but wanted to was the Tut exhibit. I remember I cried because my parents couldn't take me. I think I had chicken pox that summer. Oh well.
Well, my ma had the bright idea that I wanted ice skating lessons, which is why I went to Rainbow...otherwise, we just skated outside at the parks when they'd freeze over the basketball courts...let's see, Horner Park and I can't think of the other right now.

Quote:
So Cobolt did you go to the Aragon a lot or the Riveria? We used to go see concerts there - I saw Prince at the Aragon in like 88? Tons of Reggae at the Riveria!
We moved out to the burbs when I got into the age I'd be going to concerts (we moved to Park Ridge, then Niles, then Waukegan)---I had my step mom drive me all the way to E Troy, WI when the Police were there like way in the 80s.

My cousins still live in Park Ridge...my grandma off of Harlem Ave in Harwood Heights. I haven't been back to Chicago in a long time...looking at coming back this year for a visit. So much has changed.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yeah...I'm sure it's gone. The last time I was around, I hardly recognized the old hood. Used to live on Lawrence and Washtenaw St....back when the hood was a mix of Euro working class immigrants. Anyway...there used to be this like pizza/ice cream joint near (I think) the Rainbow Ice rink..Kids would go there for birthday parties...they had like a stageshow with people dressed in those animal costumes....music playing....It's like the name is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it.
Was it on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Clark?
When were you here last?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Avengfire - do you know the pizza place I am talking about? How far off am I on the Zephry thing? I thought for sure when I went to eat there last month it was the old Zephyrs place - oh well - the last time I was at Zephrys was like 22 years ago.

I think the pizza place you are talkin about had to be Chicago's Pizza at 1742 W. Wilson. Which was right near Zephyrs. But that closed down a few years ago...not sure what pizza place you ate at...
The only location of Zephyrs I have known was at 1777 W. Wilson. I think you are a few years older than me... Did Zephyrs have more than one location?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM

It was driving me crazy so I looked it up and I went to Spacca Napoli at 1769 Sunnyside which is the corner of Ravenswood and Sunnyside. It just seemed like it was the old Zephyrs - guess the old memory wasn't as good as I thought? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs