Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM

19 posts, read 41,649 times

Advertisements

Is there an advantage in Cook versus Lake county Illinois in regards to property taxes?

Such as overall tax rate, laws that can effect rate changes, etc...

School districts not an issue.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
School districts are the primary taxing authorities, so they are a big part of this. Over all Lake County property taxes tend to be higher, but it really varies depending on the taxing districts involved and the individual houses.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
In my comparisons, Cook Co. is lower than Lake Co. Some like the more rural feel to parts of Lake Co., and some like the schools such as Stevenson and Libertyville. But you can find nice neighborhoods, with good schools in No. Cook that can save you quite a bit of $$ compared to Lake Co. Some will come back with places like Grayslake, Gurnee etc., but, although the schools are not bad, there is a drop-off compared with what you find in Cook. And the property taxes are still high! And will your job always be in Lake Co.?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I live in a 50 year old HOA sub division of 411 homes, which is split Cook vs. Lake County.

Property taxes on my model run about $3000/year more in the Lake County part of the sub division, despite the same HOA amenities, school district, municipality, park district, library and so on.

County and township within county, matter.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I live in a 50 year old HOA sub division of 411 homes, which is split Cook vs. Lake County.

Property taxes on my model run about $3000/year more in the Lake County part of the sub division, despite the same HOA amenities, school district, municipality, park district, library and so on.

County and township within county, matter.
Ouch!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM

If schools don't matter, some of the older homes in Barrington that feed into Wauconda schools are pretty decent. A friend stated that you need to be careful of flooding in some of the neighborhoods. I'm thinking west of Rand and Old Rand (lake Shore Dr?) There are some surprisingly country like areas of Barrington and palatine within Cook Co. Lots of Forest preserves maintain an open feeling. There was a listing on Deerpath Rd south of Lake Cook Rd within Cook Co. Nice area, but being in Barrington schools, the taxes may still be higher than you want.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Northern Cook County is often higher than other parts of Cook County, so it depends on the town.

I am in Lake County and pay $12K a year. A home of a similar size selling for less money in Wheeling has a tax bill of a bit over $8K and in Arlington Heights a little over $9K. It would be lower in other towns.

To those who can afford the steep property taxes, I highly recommend Lake County towns that feed into Stevenson High School. Taking schools out of the equation, I don't see a benefit in living in one county over the other.

One thing that does drive me crazy about living where I do, which may not be a problem in Cook County, is the issue of snow plowing. We have three agencies involved in the plowing of our streets. I may head out in the morning with clean streets in my development, which our village plows, get to the next main street and find it hasn't been plowed because IDOT is responsible and hasn't been out yet, and crawl to the next main street which also hasn't been plowed because the County is responsible and hasn't gotten to it yet. It makes for frustrating travel, particularly during a winter like the one we just had.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Northern Cook County is often higher than other parts of Cook County, so it depends on the town.

I am in Lake County and pay $12K a year. A home of a similar size selling for less money in Wheeling has a tax bill of a bit over $8K and in Arlington Heights a little over $9K. It would be lower in other towns.

To those who can afford the steep property taxes, I highly recommend Lake County towns that feed into Stevenson High School. Taking schools out of the equation, I don't see a benefit in living in one county over the other.

One thing that does drive me crazy about living where I do, which may not be a problem in Cook County, is the issue of snow plowing. We have three agencies involved in the plowing of our streets. I may head out in the morning with clean streets in my development, which our village plows, get to the next main street and find it hasn't been plowed because IDOT is responsible and hasn't been out yet, and crawl to the next main street which also hasn't been plowed because the County is responsible and hasn't gotten to it yet. It makes for frustrating travel, particularly during a winter like the one we just had.

For LOWER property taxes!!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
For LOWER property taxes!!
This is a case where my fingers outpaced my mind.

You would think since I am planning on leaving Lake County this year due to the high taxes, I would have remembered that little point.

Thanks for the assist, cubssoxfan.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
If schools don't matter, some of the older homes in Barrington that feed into Wauconda schools are pretty decent. A friend stated that you need to be careful of flooding in some of the neighborhoods. I'm thinking west of Rand and Old Rand (lake Shore Dr?) There are some surprisingly country like areas of Barrington and palatine within Cook Co. Lots of Forest preserves maintain an open feeling. There was a listing on Deerpath Rd south of Lake Cook Rd within Cook Co. Nice area, but being in Barrington schools, the taxes may still be higher than you want.
The greater Barrington ( 60010) area is about 100 square miles. It is comprised of several municipalities, Village of Barrington, North Barrington, Lake Barrington, South Barrington, Barrington Hills, Deer Park, Tower Lakes and Timber Lakes.

Most of these towns feed into Barrington Schools. The most distant unincorporated parts of the area may feed into Wauconda, Lake Zurich or Crown- Dundee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs