Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times

Advertisements

coffee addict, you might take a harder look at Sugar Grove. Great location just off I88 for quick access to naperville. my husband works there and can make it from door to door in less than 30 mins. Prices have dropped some with the housing slowdown and we are a really safe community. we have a great vet right here in town and he is planning to build a brand new animal hospital. There are some newer homes in the kimball hill settlers ridge sub that are priced around 200. some are duplex units, but you do have a nice yard. some are even fencing things in! check it out! Sugar Grove Illinois - Home Page is the official website of the village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

38 posts, read 115,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iac74205 View Post
I highly suggest taking a look for yourself, as the difference between the "nice" areas and "bad" areas is easily seen in how the houses are kept, and the number of police shelters on corners.
I would take a hard look at the school district before you buy a house in any community. To buy a house in a community that has a poor school district on the vague concept that the schools will improve is fantasy. That goes for the west side of Aurora too.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 37,774 times
You might want to check out Rockford and the surrounding towns. From Rockford you can drive into Harvard or Elgin to get the train into the city. A lot of people drive into the city and suburbs from Rockford. I just can't see paying for a house in that part of the state that will cost half or less in Rockford. A 150k house in Rockford will give you what you would pay in the closer suburbs, Elgin,Aurora,Joliet ect. 300k or more. Not to mention the taxes are going to be much lower. There is talk about extending metra (commuter train) to Rockford, But I don't know about that. The state really can't afford it but then again they are adding another lane in each direction on interstate 90. Guess they'll do what they did to bale out the Chicago buses and trains, just add more taxes to the state, like people 400 miles south in Cairo care if people in Chicago have to pay more bus fair or even can make it to work at all. It shouldn't take long to find out living here that what Chicago wants Chicago grts and the whole state pays for it.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,801 times
I live in joliet and am getting ready to move it really depends on nationality there is a high percentage of hispanic, so if your hispanic and do not speak english well Joliet is welcoming it has hispanic stores, cell phone places, super markets, etc... They have great section 8 houseing, in fact a building was just put up 8 feet from my home for rehabilitating drug prostitutes, nice huh? I would try New Lennox, Manhatten, Crest Hill (lockport schools) Lockport, Tinley park....Good Luck in your search, for me I'm going toward Wilmington more house and land for less money. also you can go to the joliet harald and read the local news that is always a good way to look into a city/town (police beat) or type in City of Joliet in your search engine.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 25,475 times
I think this may be of interest to people that are possibly interested in Joliet. It is an article in the Chicago Titled "Joliet is the place to be" There is much more here than what people have been saying. This place is really coming to be a great place. Please read this article, and ad this into your decision. http://www.cityofjoliet.info/documen...ceToBe_000.pdf

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,426 times
Try Oswego, not Aurora

Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
Joliet has some wonderful areas to live in. I have relatives that are in the Cathedral District, there are beautiful historic homes in that neighborhood and it is very close to the University of St. Francis. The west side of Joliet (Shorewood) is almost identical to Naperville with large, lovely homes at affordable prices. Definitely worth checking out.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 17,372 times
I have a house for sale in Aurora. It is on 34 in the Georgetown subdivision. Also it is in the 204 school district.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Some of Joliet is ghetto and should be avoided like the East side and some parts of Aurora as well. I noticed one person said check out Rockford, DON'T!!! Rockford has higher crime and is more run down then either of the towns. Plus its not considered Chicagoland. I would suggest the Westside of Joliet by the mall, its a nice area and pretty developed.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM

56 posts, read 166,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Some of Joliet is ghetto and should be avoided like the East side and some parts of Aurora as well. I noticed one person said check out Rockford, DON'T!!! Rockford has higher crime and is more run down then either of the towns. Plus its not considered Chicagoland. I would suggest the Westside of Joliet by the mall, its a nice area and pretty developed.
I agree that the area around the mall is decent. It seems that people recommend this area of Joliet for those thinking of relocating to Joliet. Though, there are much nicer areas of Joliet than the area surrounding the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs