Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 AM

17 posts, read 18,235 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Southeast Michigan, but my children are all growing up and I am considering moving back to the Chicago area to be closer to my extended family. I currently live in a very nice home in a somewhat diverse, decently affluent community (majority white, larger asian population and a decent amount of African Americans). My family members all live in the South Suburbs. I lived in both Park Forest and Flossmoor as an adult and we ran from Flossmoor in the early 2000's because my son was getting chased home from school by bully thugs.

I have no interest in living in the South Suburbs proper (Homewood, Flossmoor, Matteson, etc.). I am an African American woman, so I do not want to try and intergrate a neighborhood and cause a stampede out. I want a nice newer house that is somewhat affordable ($400,000 max) and around 2500 sq. feet. Obviously, I would like to be close enough that I can visit my family regularly. Some have suggested Frankfort, but I am not convinced that is a good fit. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I cannot recommend Illinois for your situation.

You could easily be facing property taxes of $12,000 for no real benefit.

If you want to be closer to Illinois than Michigan I would consider Indiana.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM

That is disappointing to hear. Can you expand a little. Is it primarily because of taxes, housing budget, or because I don't want to live in the South Suburbs?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Taxes are the biggest factor.

Illinois has really painted itself into a terrible corner -- taxes are so high that they discourage investment.

In many areas there are a lack of any jobs that would allow for comfortable lifestyle, especially on salary that would be considered "good" in adjacent states and thus because of tax situation.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 PM

172 posts, read 316,411 times
I think Tinley park would be a good place for your criteria

Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks to both of you for your input!

Old 12-28-2014, 02:25 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,372 times
If you are definitely set on coming to Illinois I would also look at Lemont and Palos Park/Palos Heights. Close enough to the south suburbs and very nice areas to live in.

Otherwise, the tax benefits of living in Indiana are hard to ignore. There are some great communities that will also be close to the south suburbs.

I guess that you need to find some specific homes in these areas (IL and IN) and then to a compare and contrast to see what makes the most sense for you.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,086,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I totally agree. You're better off in Indiana. There are a lot of nice towns close to the south suburbs that you could live in without dealing with ridiculous Illinois property taxes.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 PM

I am not familiar at all with the communities in Indiana. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Seriously dude, you need to just give up on this forum. You might think that telling everyone to avoid Illinois is a helpful stance to take, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be up front about the potential costs and let people evaluate their own situations. And even if we are truly in a "sky is falling" situation in Illinois as you and some others believe, I still believe we are in a better position than much of Michigan and other parts of the Midwest.

Kimkim6887: Property taxes are high in Illinois, and they may be going up depending on how our government deals with the pension crisis. I personally think we are more likely to see other state-wide taxes jump, and believe that income tax increases are the most likely outcome. But be aware that Illinois has become a "high tax state" particularly over the last ten years (we used to be in the middle of the pack), and it seems unlikely that this will improve. It could be a significant drain on the economy--which as it stands now is still in much better shape than the Detroit region's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs