Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 PM

341 posts, read 412,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Okay.......I'll bite and start the fireworks.....

Over rated without a doubt......Oak Park
Under rated......Vernon Hills
Oak Park is slowly getting the crap from Austin/Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM

Orland Park is over rated. You say your from Orland Park, and everyone thinks you are rich.
Palos Park over rated.
Robbins underrated, I don't think Robbins is as bad as people try to make it out to be.
I agree with above that Lagrange is underrated but so is LaGrange Park.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 PM

Bedford park is underrated the small housing area is nice for being next to factories.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 24,016 times
Underrated:
As someone who grew up on the northwest side, I think quite a few places in the southwest suburbs along BNSF are underrated. After grad school, my wife and I were living in the South loop and our family was growing. We made the decision to move out. Essentially we needed something with a yard, good schools and a quick commute to the Chicago where we both worked. We chose Riverside because it basically fit all those criteria.
It's 10 miles from the city which translates into an 18 minute train ride, less than an hour driving at the height of rush hour, and easy access to train from any part of town.
The school district is well ranked (our elementary is 10/10 @ greatschools.org) with fantastic Catholic School options in Fenwick and St Ignatius too.
The town's homes typically have large yard sizes, we have a 1/3 acre and that is not at all uncommon.
What I didnt expect was how sincerely pretty the town was, the welcoming "small-town USA culture" and how easily I could access other areas outside of Chicago.
When we moved in, I started riding my bike to the train and I was shocked at how that "Mayberry" scenery put me in a great mood in the AM. The crossing guard I pass everyday waves at me like we are long lost friends, the old growth trees, the merging winding streets, the river, the architecture. It's great.
From the town adminstrators to the popular volunteer fire dept fireman to the clerks at "wisconsin-esque" middle of town grocery store have all been welcoming and accommodating.
Lastly, the town is situated between two major highways in 55 and 290 which are accessible in 5 minutes, a 15 min drive to Oak Brook shopping, 15 minute drive to the massive Palos forest preserves system, quick access to Oak Park, Forest park, and La Grange restaurants and bars.
Riverside is underrated, as are Brookfield, La Grange Park and Western Springs. Berwyn is much better than I envisioned.

Overrated:
- Park Ridge was recommended and on paper we liked it. However, whenever we looked at houses the roar of the planes was deafening and suprisingly we encountered ALOT of homes with water issues. Unlike Elmhurst, there wasnt really just one section that we needed to avoid. Maybe it was just the homes that we happened to see at the time, but looking back of all the places we were considering (Park Ridge, Elmhurst, Riverside, LaGrange, Glenview, Edison Park , and Arlington Heights) I'm really happy we didnt buy in Park Ridge more than any others.

Last edited by Butkusrules; 02-24-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 8,319 times
Hi everyone,

I'm considering a move to the Chicago area for a job opportunity this summer and would greatly appreciate your expertise! I have three small children and will likely be working from an office in the Oak Lawn area. I know nothing about Illinois neighborhoods, aside from a few visits to Chicago (downtown) many, many years ago. Can anyone tell me which neighborhoods are the nicest (30 min commute time)north of Oak lawn and not too far from the city (30 min or so). Without considering budget restrictions, what do you all recommend?

I'm looking forward to hearing anything that anyone has to offer!

Thanks!!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,034 times
Faces93, check out Hinsdale, Western Springs and La Grange -> just search these boards and you will find tons(TONS) of info on these 3 highly desirable towns. ~ They are your best options...

Old 06-02-2016, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 8,088 times
Underrated:
Brookfield
La Grange
La Grange Park
Riverside

Honestly all of these 4 places are great suburbs to live in. All have overall solid/good elementary/middle schools and all feed into fantastic top notch high schools (Lyons Township High School for La Grange, La Grange Park, and South Brookfield) and (RB High School for Riverside, and North Brookfield)
I have personally have lived in Brookfield and I graduated from Lyons Township. Honestly this suburb has a lot to offer and it is pretty affordable to. Lots of upper middle class and middle class people. All very friendly and humble. I have yet to meet the snobs you encounter in places like Naperville and Hinsdale. There are 3 parks, Elhert and Kiwanis being the big ones. And it even has a downtown. 8 corners is appealing and you get the amazing high schools which honestly is what resonates with somebody the most is high school.
Though it isn't really that racially diverse as a place like lets say Berwyn. (Brookfield is mostly White, some Hispanic)
Not to mention Brookfield is home to the world famous Brookfield Zoo one of the most acclaimed zoos in the country. Great for kids.
Happy to see that more people seem to be mentioning Brookfield. I think it is definitely a town on the rise and it also borders other great suburbs like La Grange/La Grange Park.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 AM

5 posts, read 8,088 times
Overrated Suburbs:
Naperville
Schaumburg
Hinsdale
Oak Park

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield1995 View Post
Overrated Suburbs:
Naperville
Schaumburg
Hinsdale
Oak Park
Weird. I dont see how cities with burgeoning downtowns, beautiful homes, excellent nightlife, supreme safety, good PT, and excellent schools could be considered "overrated". But hey, who am I?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Weird. I dont see how cities with burgeoning downtowns, beautiful homes, excellent nightlife, supreme safety, good PT, and excellent schools could be considered "overrated". But hey, who am I?
Schaumburg sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs