Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning to move to a Chicago suburb in about a month or so since I will be switching jobs. Do you guys have any recommendations?

My ideal community is something like this (in no particular order).

- Maybe a 30 minute drive to the loop? I like to drive.
- If I leave my garage door open I should not be expecting uninvited visitors at any given time.
- If I leave my vehicle's doors unlocked, I should not be expecting someone to rob my vehicle.
- Parking a luxury car should not be a problem or at least not make me paranoid to take a look at it every half an hour.

These might seem ridiculous but I basically want it to be a safe community.

I am looking to purchase a house.
As others have mentioned, this is kind of a pipe dream.

1. If you have a garage in your back yard and you're in your house and in a safe neighborhood, you might be okay. Otherwise, close your garage.
2. Lock your car doors.
3. You should be fine in any safe area regarding a luxury car. Just lock it.

When are you driving to and from work? If it's regular 8 to 5 or something, then this isn't really an existing Chicago suburb. The city limits are just too far from the loop to make it there in 30 minutes from almost any suburb except maybe Evanston or Harwood Heights, but still unlikely.

Suck it up and take Metra or the El. It gives you more options, especially if you're upping your price to $600k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:02 PM

37 posts, read 55,686 times
I live in Lombard and I regularly commute to the loop within 30 minutes...

Old 03-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayubimope View Post
At what time of day do you commute to the Loop? What time of day do you commute home?

Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
There are no trains from Lombard to the loop <30 min.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There are no trains from Lombard to the loop <30 min.
I drive

Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
At what time of day do you commute to the Loop? What time of day do you commute home?
8am and 5pm

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
8am and 5pm
That sounds optimistic.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning to move to a Chicago suburb in about a month or so since I will be switching jobs. Do you guys have any recommendations?

My ideal community is something like this (in no particular order).

- Maybe a 30 minute drive to the loop? I like to drive.
- If I leave my garage door open I should not be expecting uninvited visitors at any given time.
- If I leave my vehicle's doors unlocked, I should not be expecting someone to rob my vehicle.
- Parking a luxury car should not be a problem or at least not make me paranoid to take a look at it every half an hour.

These might seem ridiculous but I basically want it to be a safe community.

I am looking to purchase a house.
There's no safe community that close. You have to go to a small town outside the Chicagoland area to find what you want and then you 're not sure either.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 PM

201 posts, read 278,017 times
Take all of these "no safe community" people with a major grain of salt. Obviously, it is never wise to leave doors unlocked or garage doors open, and people are right in saying that even in the nicest communities, why invite theft. That said, there are tons of nice suburbs where in all likelihood you could leave your car doors unlocked for years and nothing would happen, and there would be absolutely no issue parking a luxury car.

Leaving your garage door is open is careless and foolish, but most of Chicago's nicest suburbs are about as safe as you can get for all intents and purposes.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 AM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Quote:
8am and 5pm
No way you can get from Lombard to the loop, and park, in 30 minutes at 8 and 5 everyday. No way. Maybe once a week, maybe twice. But you'll certainly have days where the drive is 40-50 minutes, and as many days where it's 1hr 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs