Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 PM

95 posts, read 325,480 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Michigan and have read several threads and replies - no one is raving about Evanston! What am I missing? Is it the traffic, crime, or what? I just graduated from college and it looks like a great college town - with just a train ride into the city - on the lake, what the he**??

The location works for my new job- I don't think I would like the burbs north of Evanston - at this point in my life - maybe later when I get my own little family going!!!

Thanks in advance, very confused!!!

Last edited by mstengle; 04-04-2008 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM

71 posts, read 269,497 times
I love Evanston. I think that when people get down on Evanston it has to do with single family housing prices, segregation, crime in certain areas, schools, status, and all of the new condos going up downtown. At this point in your life, not a lot of that would affect you.

For someone just out of college and looking for a place to rent, I think Evanston would be an awesome choice. There's a lot going on, good access to public transportation, and it's right next to the city! Plus it's a beautiful town.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM

95 posts, read 325,480 times
That sounds good for a change MIA! Any areas you would recommend, I will be commuting to Glencoe and my roommate will be commuting to Elk Grove Village.

I guess the better question, any areas to avoid??

Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I think mia hit most of the negatives. I would stress that the "crime in certain areas" is kind of a big deal. The city does an AWESOME job of posting the info in a useful, relevent format: City of Evanston - Police - Crime Statistics & Reports - Montly Crime Statistics (http://www.cityofevanston.org/departments/police/reports/monthly.shtml - broken link)

The simple answer is avoid renting in any area with burglary, robbery or shots fired. The bad news is that is quite a few areas. The result of this is to drive prices in the areas that are quieter considerable higher. The student housing at Northwestern is also really pricey. I think you can find a lot of places that are a better deal.

Further the road layout in & around Evanston makes it a pain to get around. This is especially true of the potential commute west to Elk Grove Village. The only way to do this is spend a considerably portion of the commute on surface streets that seem designed to frustrate you with poorly timed lights, goofy lane configurations (including lots of restricted-during-rush-hour streets/turns) and an overall "we don't want you to drive through here" attitude. The major expressway that runs north(Edens) is under going reconstruction this summer -- expect major delays on it and the surface alternatives.

Finally the majority of bars / music venues that cater to young people will be a considerable distance into Chicago. That means parking hassles on both ends or riding the purple line through Evanston's rougher areas at a very lonely hour.

Not saying that Evanston has nothing go for it, just saying that you really ought to give some serious weight to just how difficult it may be to get from there to work for both of you.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,547 times
I think youll see a crime trend the closer you get to the City of Chicago. I dont find any of the near Chicago suburbs friendly and particularly in the City of Chicago. The traffic, stress levels, attitudes , are normally high on the scale. I see too many hassles associated with living in Chicago and near surrounding areas. Too much concrete also. I live 45 miles outside of Chicago in Lake County and wouldnt move closer in than that. Some like the city life but to me its a hassle with parking , noise, and just trying to cross the street. Thats my take and its okay if you disagree with me.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,553 times
I live in New Trier Township just north of Evanston. We have much more affordable rentals. Your roomate could take the Edens South and then get on the Kennedy and be in Elk Grove Village in a short amount of time when all the construction is done. You can rent a 2 bedroom for maybe around $1400 in either Wilmette, Winnetka, or Glencoe. Glenview would also be good but rentals are more expensive there like they are in Evanston. Wilmette is just north of Evanston and you can be in downtown Evanston in just 5 minutes by train and 7 by car. Wilmette has nice apartments near 4th & Linden. From there you can take the Metra in Wilmette, Metra Evanston (Central Street), or the CTA Purple Line. Pace Suburban Bus System also can take you around. Parking in Wilmette is a breeze, while parking in Evanston, Winnetka, and Glencoe is a major headache. Glencoe is one of the prettiest towns in Chicago and you should really consider it. We have a pretty good real estate market right now too.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,620,678 times
I agree that Evanston would be a great place to live for you. Its a very vibrant, interesting city with some wonderful 'hoods and the beach. Such an easy jaunt to Chicago when the mood hits. Other then the city, couldnt think of a better place for a recent grad. Love walking around by NWU.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

The city does an AWESOME job of posting the info in a useful, relevent format: City of Evanston - Police - Crime Statistics & Reports - Montly Crime Statistics (http://www.cityofevanston.org/departments/police/reports/monthly.shtml - broken link)

The simple answer is avoid renting in any area with burglary, robbery or shots fired.
Evanston really does an incredible job at making information available to everyone. I noticed that some of the best areas have had bugluries as happens, just about everywhere.

Evanston is urban-suburban and a great town, especially for people who shun typical suburban enviornments and want/need the ability to walk to shops, restaurants and entertainment.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Evanston is really a great town, and the don't let the B.S. crime hysteria scare you. Outside of a couple of neighborhoods on the west side and south side of town, crime is NOT that big of an issue in Evanston. And even these neighborhoods are now facing some pretty serious gentrification pressure.

Evanston is definitely one of the top five most interesting suburbs of Chicago, but has a bit more of an urban flavor than many in terms of density and commerical areas. It's mostly high-end, and housing is expensive there. Most people that love Evanston are looking for some of the benefits of the suburbs (better schools, larger homes), but don't want to let go of all of the city ammenities. It's sort of a city/suburb compromise.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,368 times
Crime is very high in evanston compared to other suburbs in Chicago

Poverty seems very high

Median income seems very low $58,940
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs