Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:14 AM

207 posts, read 213,909 times

Advertisements

Good morning -

I have a friend who would like to move to another N or NW suburb with some racial diversity. She and her children are African American and unfortunately have come across discrimination over the past year. She's currently in a very affluent area which is predominantly Caucasian, with the very top tier schools, but due to the racist comments and actions she's seeing she feels she can no longer stay and is planning on listing her house in the Spring.

She's considering going even further north to the Grayslake and Warren school districts, but I honestly have no idea what the AA presence is in that region. I don't think it's super high. I also know that those districts can't hold a candle to the district that she's coming from.

She needs:

1. Somewhat of an AA population
2. Safe/family friendly
3. Strong school district

Any suggestions? They are SUCH a sweet family and it breaks my heart that they're in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 AM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
The first thing that comes to mind is Hoffman Estates.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is Hoffman Estates.
How are the schools? We have friends in HE but they opted for Elgin Academy because they weren't happy with the public schools.

Looks like the AA population is a little higher at 4.8%. It's .01% where they are now.

Last edited by olive03; 02-28-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:08 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
How are the schools? We have friends in HE but they opted for Elgin Academy because they weren't happy with the public schools.

Looks like the AA population is a little higher at 4.8%. It's .01% where they are now.
Take a look at the Illinois Report cards online for more specific demographicd by school. HE *high school* (part of district 211) is at least 10% AA. The multiple feeder schools will vary.

The portion of HE suburb that is zoned to Elgin HS is probably the wildcard. D64 is still having funding/resource issues AFAIK. Other parts of NW Cook suburbs could work too.

If your friend is currently in a well funded district such as those that feed into Stevenson, New Trier, Hinsdale, they might want to re-evaluate the tradeoffs of switching to HE. It’s good to look at class sizes/amenities/programs- have your friend call to determine needs/fit/availability, especially with things like special ed.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Take a look at the Illinois Report cards online for more specific demographicd by school. HE *high school* (part of district 211) is at least 10% AA. The multiple feeder schools will vary.

The portion of HE suburb that is zoned to Elgin HS is probably the wildcard. D64 is still having funding/resource issues AFAIK. Other parts of NW Cook suburbs could work too.

If your friend is currently in a well funded district such as those that feed into Stevenson, New Trier, Hinsdale, they might want to re-evaluate the tradeoffs of switching to HE. It’s good to look at class sizes/amenities/programs- have your friend call to determine needs/fit/availability, especially with things like special ed.
Thank you very much for the great info. I believe that our HE friends feed into Elgin schools, which is why they opted to go private.

And yes, my friend would be coming from one of the three districts you mentioned (Stevenson, New Trier, Hinsdale).

Any other burbs you'd recommend? I've been racking my brain on this and haven't been able to come up with anything yet.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Skokie, Evanston, Waukegan, Zion.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Skokie, Evanston, Waukegan, Zion.
Waukegan and Zion are out because of schools.

Not sure how the districts in Skokie and Evanston are?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Not sure how the districts in Skokie and Evanston are?
They are very good.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Waukegan and Zion are out because of schools.

School ratings are over-rated.

I think it is better to be free from persecution and racial harassment and free to be able to learn in peace in a school with a lower grade than attending a school where a student is bullied or harassed or a victim of racism in a top scoring school.

Just my thoughts.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
School ratings are over-rated.

I think it is better to be free from persecution and racial harassment and free to be able to learn in peace in a school with a lower grade than attending a school where a student is bullied or harassed or a victim of racism in a top scoring school.

Just my thoughts.
There are limits to this.

Going from a Stevenson feeder (for example) to either Waukegan or Zion would be a massive adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs