Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongoe View Post
which is one reason we'll still take a look at Flossmoor when we visit for house hunting.

For a good laugh, look at the property taxes in Flossmoor.

Property taxes in excess of $20,000 per year are not uncommon in Flossmoor. That's insane!

Here's an example > http://www.trulia.com/property/10410...smoor-IL-60422

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-31-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Reality check doc...

There are NO shortage of idiots driving grossly overpriced automobiles in Houston, Vegas, LA or NYC either and none of those areas are known for anything other than absolutely horrid public schools. You and your hot car driving friends are the in kind of company one associates with highly educated hard working professionals, I hear R. Kelly has quite the collection of "whips"...

Maybe if more of your neighbors valued education over the showy excess of luxury cars the schools would be ranked higher. Saying your school is 47th is not exactly anything to take pride in... In Illinois the fall- off in school performance is quite dramatic. Know anybody moving to Rockton for its 44th ranked school in the state? http://www.usnews.com/education/best...gh-school-6784

I wonder what sort of cars your parent's neighbors had when you were going up? Most of the physicians I knew growing up drove rather modest vehicles . The kids most likely to better themselves often had parents that were immigrants. An awful lot of the spoiled kids that I've known over the years have quite literally crashed the expensive toys lavished upon them. An even greater tragedy is the kids that have thrown away their lives with addictions to drugs / alcohol. In my experience as a teacher, real estate investor / agent and parent of academically talented children I have seen too many kids from homes with seemingly limitless financial resources make the least of the advantages available to them. I can also add, as do have a quite interest in motorsports, that kids that grew up knowing the struggle that comes from actually wrenching on track driven cars / restored vehicles that diligence , hard work, concentration to detail are all traits too rarely developed among young people. You might give some thought to that...

(and just because I like to twist screw driver a little bit -- are you one of those nephrologists running a string of dialysis clinics that exists largely because Medicare will pay your bills a lot easier than they'll get folks to deal with chronic diabetes and efforts of primary care physicians to get patients to adopt a healthier lifestyle?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Just realized this thread is old but whatever. Lincoln way east is in us news /ranked as a top us high school. I just looked, and its #47 in IL. Frankfort is definitely not Hicksville. I live in lighthouse point 161 district and now I'm moving to abbey woods (157). I'm a physician (nephrologist) and my wife is an internist, our neighbor in abbey is ortho spine surgeon, another is family practice, endocrinologist, and a handful of other physician friends live here and around frankfort. I know about 2 dozen, just the ones I'm acquainted with. So far judt in abbey woods (I'm a car nut) I've seen a Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini gallardo, Porsche cayman S, just from what I've seen recently, I'm adding a Nissan GT-R and a e63 amg to the mix. I haven't seen a single ATV. In lighthouse one of my neighbors has a Audi R8, and another a Bentley continental GTC speed. Lol. My gauge of how well ppl may be doing...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-31-2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
The Lincoln Way high schools look like colleges. Are the north and west suburbs paved in gold or something?

Snobbery really knows no bounds..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM

172 posts, read 316,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are NO shortage of idiots driving grossly overpriced automobiles in Houston, Vegas, LA or NYC either and none of those areas are known for anything other than absolutely horrid public schools. You and your hot car driving friends are the in kind of company one associates with highly educated hard working professionals, I hear R. Kelly has quite the collection of "whips"...

Maybe if more of your neighbors valued education over the showy excess of luxury cars the schools would be ranked higher. Saying your school is 47th is not exactly anything to take pride in... In Illinois the fall- off in school performance is quite dramatic. Know anybody moving to Rockton for its 44th ranked school in the state? Hononegah High School in ROCKTON, IL | Best High Schools | US News

I wonder what sort of cars your parent's neighbors had when you were going up? Most of the physicians I knew growing up drove rather modest vehicles . The kids most likely to better themselves often had parents that were immigrants. An awful lot of the spoiled kids that I've known over the years have quite literally crashed the expensive toys lavished upon them. An even greater tragedy is the kids that have thrown away their lives with addictions to drugs / alcohol. In my experience as a teacher, real estate investor / agent and parent of academically talented children I have seen too many kids from homes with seemingly limitless financial resources make the least of the advantages available to them. I can also add, as do have a quite interest in motorsports, that kids that grew up knowing the struggle that comes from actually wrenching on track driven cars / restored vehicles that diligence , hard work, concentration to detail are all traits too rarely developed among young people. You might give some thought to that...

(and just because I like to twist screw driver a little bit -- are you one of those nephrologists running a string of dialysis clinics that exists largely because Medicare will pay your bills a lot easier than they'll get folks to deal with chronic diabetes and efforts of primary care physicians to get patients to adopt a healthier lifestyle?)
I grew up in Munster Indiana, my dad worked in whiting at American maize products company, we grew up in a small 1800 sq ft modest house, growing up in Munster, most of my friends and I were mainly into cars. My first car was a 1983 olds cutlass, which I replaced the tired old 231 cubic inch Buick v6 with a 350 Chevy and a th400 trans pulled from a lesabre from Paul's auto yard in Hammond, I've been wrenching on cars since I was 13. I had a 2003 lancer Evo in training that I built the complete long block myself in my in laws garage.
So no, I'm not a silver spoon kid. I do not own any dialysis clinics. Physician owned strings of dialysis units is a thing of the past, giant corporate chains like DaVita and fresenius own the bulk of HD units now. The docs who made out like bandits when selling there privately owned HD units were most likely from your vintage. Now a days being a dr is much tougher and challenging then the playboy drs u know from your vintage.

Lincoln way schools are good enough, just like Munster schools were good enough for me. The cars I've chosen as mentioned are not for there "showy" factor but since I'm a car guy I demand a platform that is the penultimate for performance and moddability, and after market support. Hence the GTR. I do track the car and do multiple HPDE events at autobahn in Joliet. Twist the screwdriver all u want the frankfort man I am now will withstand it just fine and with a smile

Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM

You'll sound smarter if you lookup what "penultimate" means and use it properly...

I'd suggest that if more folks stressed the values you learned in Munster we'd all be better off.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM

172 posts, read 316,124 times
The r35 is penultimate for performance and moddability until the next gtr I will order which will b the r36. That being said, back on topic, contrary to what ppl say, frankfort is not Hicksville, and it has a good school system, metra station is only a couple miles away, great historic downtown, great festivals, great park district, 35 minutes to anywhere including downtown Chicago, access to I-80, I-355, I-57, I-294 all within 4-8 miles, and ur only 6-7 miles from all the crazy retail on Lagrange in orland park. They just opened a giant Mariano's behind abbey woods to, love that place. Real estate has picked up, builders are back at it. It's like the hinsdale of the southwest

Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Frankfort schools were already discussed -- probably not in the category that would motivate one would move to the area.

I agree there is decent access to expressways, have no idea what time of night that "35 minutes to anywhere" would apply becuase it certainly is not a valid estimate for travel to Chicago at rush hour, heck I doubt you could make it to Oak Brook at rush hour is less than 45 minutes.

Good like with the car.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM

34 posts, read 114,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
The r35 is penultimate for performance and moddability until the next gtr I will order which will b the r36. That being said, back on topic, contrary to what ppl say, frankfort is not Hicksville, and it has a good school system, metra station is only a couple miles away, great historic downtown, great festivals, great park district, 35 minutes to anywhere including downtown Chicago, access to I-80, I-355, I-57, I-294 all within 4-8 miles, and ur only 6-7 miles from all the crazy retail on Lagrange in orland park. They just opened a giant Mariano's behind abbey woods to, love that place. Real estate has picked up, builders are back at it. It's like the hinsdale of the southwest

Frankfort is indeed nice, but there's no way anyone is driving to Chicago or the western suburbs in 35 minutes unless it is a traffic-free Sunday night. Even then, it would take closer to 45 minutes to get to the Loop and an hour or more to get to north side, the northern suburbs or far western suburbs. Driving during peak times would take an hour-plus.

Metra service is also slow on the Rock Island line. Someone taking the train from Frankfort to work in the Loop is looking at close to an hour-and-a-half door-to-door commute at least (10-30 minutes getting to/from train station on each leg, plus 55 minutes on the train). Outside of rush hour, you can push that train time up another 20 minutes.

If someone works at one of the nearby hospitals or owns a business that is located in the south or southwest suburbs or works from home, then Frankfort would be a fine choice. However, if someone is working in the Loop or the Oak Brook cooridor, then there are much better alternatives with shorter commutes.

I wouldn't put Frankfort in the same tier as Hinsdale. I'd consider it more along the lines of Downers Gove -- a mix of higher-end new construction and older, more modest homes. Although, Frankfort's downtown is much smaller and it doesn't have the direct Metra service compared to DG.

Last edited by JamieLannister; 09-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM

76 posts, read 210,470 times
OP here. Hard to believe this old thread got resurrected...

We ended up living in La Grange for the 4 years we were in Chicagoland, but moved last year to Rochester NY. La Grange was great. We really miss its walkability (and quick access to the loop which is now a plane ride away).

When considering Frankfort, I was planning to drive to the Metra Electric line, but I was going to Hyde Park. Would the Electric line not be preferred for going to the loop too?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM

34 posts, read 114,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongoe View Post
When considering Frankfort, I was planning to drive to the Metra Electric line, but I was going to Hyde Park. Would the Electric line not be preferred for going to the loop too?
For Loop access, the Metra Electric might be a little quicker for for those areas of Frankfort south of Lincoln Highway near Harlem Avenue (Prestwick Country Club and the subdivisions off of Laraway). While the train time on the Metra Electric from 211th Street would be a little shorter vs. the Rock Island from Hickory Creek, the time savings might be negated by extra time driving/parking/walking. All in all, it wouldn't make a significant difference in saved time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs