Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times

Advertisements

IL is nice, the schools in the chicago metro area are mostly good. Yes you can get a nice house for $300K. It won't be a big house but they are there for sure and not dumps.

Check realtor.com assorted real estates and you will come up with some.

Con to IL: taxes are high. Cook county (where chicago is and schaumburg I think is in) now has the highest sales tax in the nation with 10.25 percent. Gas taxes are highest, thus the price of fuel is amongst the highest too.
That is the biggest con of IL.

I don't mind the weather. You just have to dress for it. I just spent part of last summer in FL. No way IL's summers are like that. FL does not get cool at night, it stays into the 80s all night long. And the sun is way brighter. IL does have humidity for sure, but again not to the magnitude of FL.

Also chicago metro area is within driving distance of lake michigan, so you can take advantage of that when you want to "beach".

Personally, I would look into st. charles (not just because we live there) just because it is in within driving distance of schaumburg (hubby drives to hoffman estates daily) and there are plenty of nice homes for your price range. Not huge, but 3 bedroom ranches or split levels. (stay in-town s.c. and not in unincorporated areas even though homes are even cheaper there though) You may want to check out the town of bartlett too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,378 times
Ok I must be unsuited to the weather in this region because I can't stand the Chicago humidity! I also can't stand the cold. I have had many nights, especially when we had window units where I thought I was going to die because it hadn't cooled down. I can't tell you how many gallons of water we dumped from our dehumidifier each summer - in fact one of ours died in the process of removing humidity from the air.

Maybe you people live on the lake where you get some cooler breezes or maybe you have some super human humidity immunity and I have none LOL. All I can say is TG we have had mild temps so far. I am sick of dealing with a huma-doo every summer!

If I could move the city of Chicago to Arizona or Northern California I would be so happy. Give me lots of sun and dry heat and I'm a happy girl. I guess that's why we want to relocate .

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Ok I must be unsuited to the weather in this region because I can't stand the Chicago humidity! I also can't stand the cold. I have had many nights, especially when we had window units where I thought I was going to die because it hadn't cooled down. I can't tell you how many gallons of water we dumped from our dehumidifier each summer - in fact one of ours died in the process of removing humidity from the air.

Maybe you people live on the lake where you get some cooler breezes or maybe you have some super human humidity immunity and I have none LOL. All I can say is TG we have had mild temps so far. I am sick of dealing with a huma-doo every summer!

If I could move the city of Chicago to Arizona or Northern California I would be so happy. Give me lots of sun and dry heat and I'm a happy girl. I guess that's why we want to relocate .
How many humid days have we had this June? About 10. The other days have been very low humidity. Did you forget? How about step outside right now, nice 82 degrees with low humidity, same as yesterday, and the week before, and...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM

"Sunny, mild and low humidity is a gift and should be enjoyed while you can enjoy it (like this week) because that kind of weather is not typical." Calidreemer - earlier post in this thread

I realize I have been pretty chatty here - sorry OP - but I did give credit to the weather this week. I guess I have humidity PTSD .

OP - you would do fine here - I guess I am the odd ball on this issue.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luauelvis View Post
I have been reading this thread for a few weeks now, and evertone seems pretty nice and helpful so I thought I would put you all to the test. I am a 33 year old married teacher with 2 children (9and 4) My wife is a registered nurse. we are looking to move from Seattle Washington to either Shaumburg, Naperville, or as opposite as you can get, Jacksonville Florida. I know what you are thinking, Florida compared to Illinios, they could not be more different!!!!! My wife went to college in Florida and really loves the sun. I spent the first 16 years of my life in Minnesota. I miss the midwest. I miss the seasons and the people. Illinios is not cheap but compared to Washington it looks alot better. So if anyone out there could help with some advice that would be so great.
1. Does 300,000 buy a decesnt home in Shaumburg, or Naperville areas?
2. How do you all like living in Ilinios?
3. What makes illinios so special?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

What do I like best about Illinois? The fact that it is close to Michigan and Wisconsin! I'm a nature and outdoor person and our neighboring states to the north have more opportunities.

Anyways at this point in my life I am seriously considering the city, which I never thought I would before. Wicker Park would be cool, I am a music snob. I don't get into the ga-ga over baseball so Wrigleyville or Bridgeport would be out of the question.

If I were to pick a suburb though, either the places close like Evanston or Oak Park, or the lake towns far to the northwest. Again: outdoors.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
"Sunny, mild and low humidity is a gift and should be enjoyed while you can enjoy it (like this week) because that kind of weather is not typical." Calidreemer - earlier post in this thread

I realize I have been pretty chatty here - sorry OP - but I did give credit to the weather this week. I guess I have humidity PTSD .

OP - you would do fine here - I guess I am the odd ball on this issue.
Just an FYI... We're currently at 35% humidity, which is about 30% LESS humidity than San Diego, CA currently shows. If you find this weather uncomfortable, the only place youll find humidity levels to suit your needs is PHX, AZ, unless you can tolerate 110+ summer temps.
Chicago, Illinois (60290) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 07-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Ok - I'm not feeling heard so I'll stop - besides it's kind of off subject. Sorry OP, please excuse the humidity tangent - my fault.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM

19 posts, read 80,862 times
Congrats on being a teacher--our public school systems (no matter which state) will always be in need of good male teachers! This means that you've got plenty of options in Illinois. Check in to Park View Montessori school or Brickton Montessori in Chicago. If you're not Montessori certified, look at GuidedStudies.com for info--it certainly has given me many more schools to consider than I had by being a regular public-school certified teacher. Good luck, and bundle up in Illinois!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luauelvis View Post
I have been reading this thread for a few weeks now, and evertone seems pretty nice and helpful so I thought I would put you all to the test. I am a 33 year old married teacher with 2 children (9and 4) My wife is a registered nurse. we are looking to move from Seattle Washington to either Shaumburg, Naperville, or as opposite as you can get, Jacksonville Florida. I know what you are thinking, Florida compared to Illinios, they could not be more different!!!!! My wife went to college in Florida and really loves the sun. I spent the first 16 years of my life in Minnesota. I miss the midwest. I miss the seasons and the people. Illinios is not cheap but compared to Washington it looks alot better. So if anyone out there could help with some advice that would be so great.
1. Does 300,000 buy a decesnt home in Shaumburg, or Naperville areas?
2. How do you all like living in Ilinios?
3. What makes illinios so special?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
300k might not do it in naperville but you should be able to find a house for that price in the naperville area. i don't see why not.

i like illinois because of its' beautiful plants and animal life such as the oak trees and squirrels. i like illinois because it has a history of success and successful people not to mention access to the best city in the world (in the summer time only).

what makes illinois special? it has always been the key to transportation for the nation. whether it be goods or people. whether it be by railroad or by the mississippi river.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Since you are a teacher and parent, I have to emphasize that Illinois can be a great place to raise children. There are some very good schools (as long as you are in the right school system) and access to such wonderfully enriching and educational experiences for your children. There is much cultural diversity (lots of great festivals, music and restaurants), access to world-class theater and museums (including some great children's museums), an unbelievable amount of high quality children's programs throughout the city and suburbs (e.g. music, theater, art, foreign language, etc.), access to good sport programs for all 4 seasons (including skiing), and easy access to just about every professional sport for family outings. And, depending on where you live, a highly educated network of parents who value these things. I cannot think of a better place to raise my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs