Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,445 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the western Algonquin/Carpentersville area and wanted to get opinions on school district 300. I have looked at test scores, demographics, etc... but those don't tell the whole story. What about extracurricular activities, parent involvement, AP courses, and intangibles?

Are there any parents/teachers/admins here that have experience with this district that can offer opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 AM

Nobody has any direct experience with this district?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 137,156 times
Sorry. I don't even know where Algonquin or Carpentersville are!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Have you tried greatschools.net?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
Have you tried greatschools.net?
Yes I have. I was just looking for a little more insight beyond simple test scores.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 AM

65 posts, read 294,935 times
Default Carpentersville & Algonquin

Avoid Carpentersville & the East side of Algonquin. I lived in both for 30 years. Stay away.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Carpentersville has gone downhill for the last years. It is not a desirable area for resale or schools, but there are some decent pockets. Still, I think Algonquin would be a better idea for schools,safety and resale investment.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop89 View Post
Avoid Carpentersville & the East side of Algonquin. I lived in both for 30 years. Stay away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Carpentersville has gone downhill for the last years. It is not a desirable area for resale or schools, but there are some decent pockets. Still, I think Algonquin would be a better idea for schools,safety and resale investment.
I specifically mentioned the west side for those reasons. I know the east side is not good. We are looking at the extreme NW corner (if you go any further you are in Algonquin) of Carpentersville. As far as I can tell, it might as well be Algonquin. Is this true?

Even though we are technically looking at Carpentersville, I know there is a stigma attached to it so I also mentioned Algonquin because most of the schools are the same that west Algonquin residents attend.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,477 times
I've lived in the area since 1987 and all three of my sons graduated from Dundee Crown. We used to know many of the teachers very well. All of my sons enjoyed their high school experience and went on to good universities (2 Northwestern, 1 Benedictine). All three boys had nearly a year of college credit upon graduation due to advance placement exams. It has been my experience that 300s AP results are pretty good.

I really felt that a critical part of their high school experience was interacting with a diverse group of students. They learned a lot about life and were grateful for what they had in comparisons to other students. My greatest fear in raising my sons was that they would develop a sense of entitlement. The diversity of Dundee Crown truly made a difference. They made friends of very different backgrounds.

Canoeist (on the Fox)

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeist View Post
I've lived in the area since 1987 and all three of my sons graduated from Dundee Crown. We used to know many of the teachers very well. All of my sons enjoyed their high school experience and went on to good universities (2 Northwestern, 1 Benedictine). All three boys had nearly a year of college credit upon graduation due to advance placement exams. It has been my experience that 300s AP results are pretty good.

I really felt that a critical part of their high school experience was interacting with a diverse group of students. They learned a lot about life and were grateful for what they had in comparisons to other students. My greatest fear in raising my sons was that they would develop a sense of entitlement. The diversity of Dundee Crown truly made a difference. They made friends of very different backgrounds.

Canoeist (on the Fox)
Thank you very much for the post Canoeist. This is the type of information I am looking for. It appears that some good parenting may have helped play a role in your kids' success.

I would love to hear your thoughts on why Dundee Crown has such low test scores. It also appears that there were a relatively small number of AP courses offered. Again, I can only go by what I find on the web which can be misleading or outright wrong at times. So if this is not true please correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs