Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,250 times

Advertisements

I have friends in Humboldt Park who say that it's difficult to say whether it is "safe" or not. You have to get more specific than the neighborhood or even certain streets there. It comes down to who is living in the houses next to yours. It's incredibly varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
I'd say it doesn't start getting sketchy until West of Central Park, but it's a matter of degrees, I suppose.
I would agree with this. Even then, there are many who have no problem crossing CP to go to Weegee's. I think that's as far west as I would go (late at night anyways)
I've said it a million times before, you're more likely to get run over by a skateboarding hipster at the Armitage/Kedzie than anything. And even then, they'll probably mop the blood from your brow with their ironic t-shirt and offer you a PBR by way of apology.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleCat View Post
I have friends in Humboldt Park who say that it's difficult to say whether it is "safe" or not. You have to get more specific than the neighborhood or even certain streets there. It comes down to who is living in the houses next to yours. It's incredibly varied.

Residential burglary is present and a real threat in any part you want to live in humboldt park. You have to take that into consideration when renting, in terms of is the property or unit secure enough. But, certain parts of humboldt park are more safe to live in without too much fear of property crime than others, because the police patrol certain parts of humboldt park fairly well. And other parts hardly at all, unless they are called out after a crime has already happened. Humboldt park is worse than 80 percent of chicago neighborhoods in terms of crime happening. Not the worst of the worst neighborhood overall, but there are some of the worst areas of chicago within the humboldt park neighborhood. Weekly occurances of violent crime do happen in and around some of the so called nice areas of humboldt park. And certainly around the main thoroughfares in humboldt park.

The same can be said for other gentrified areas in the city north, south, and west. I get the same feeling or level of safety that I do in humboldt park as I get in bronzeville on the south side. There is a mix of income brackets now living in the area that didn't exist a while ago. It's now totally safe to go out in the community to different stores, stop at the gas station, a restaurant, or other venues if traveling by car at night. But walking around and taking public transit at night? I don't know about that one. And I don't see it getting that safe anytime soon. Just as in bronzeville there are now tons of new condos, new townhomes, renovated properties, even a starbucks coffee, and other boutiques. But the majority of the area apartments are still occupied by the same old neighborhood folks. Some of the poorest in bronzeville's case have been displaced out of the neighborhood do to the projects being torn down. But, the majority of the areas low rent tenement apartment and section 8 rentals have the same group of folks living there. Just as in humboldt park, in many cases in the building right next door. You will have a market rate rent apartment building where the tenants are paying 4 times as much or new condo owners living on the same block as several section 8 tenement apartment buildings. Also, just as in humboldt park. Poverty is still very high. Violent crime is still high. And property crime such as residential burglaries is still a real problem in a lot of parts.

As fas as safe in terms of violent crime, such as murder, robberies, rape, etc. Crime is fairly high, and even the so called safe areas of humboldt are only safe in terms of talking about specific residential blocks. And the crime stats bear this out. I would say humboldt park as a whole is less safe than most of chicago. As a whole meaning some parts are better. But the main thoroughfares and majority of the residential areas in humboldt park have violent crime occurances on a regular basis. I have driven past a couple of shooting scenes that were police taped off while living in humboldt park. It happens.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-28-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,508 times
Hi, I've been thinking about moving to an apartment in Humboldt Park.

I visited the place and the surrounding area today, and it didn't seem incredibly dangerous (but what do I know). I understand how it differs block-by-block and how perceived safety is a question of degrees, but what do you think about Washtenaw Ave between Armitage and North?

Is that a more or less safe part of Humboldt Park/West Bucktown???

Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
The area is considered Palmer Square.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM

66 posts, read 104,007 times
Just in general, always check out prospective neighborhoods both during the day and night...

Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 PM

230 posts, read 385,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgoodstuff View Post
Hi, I've been thinking about moving to an apartment in Humboldt Park.

I visited the place and the surrounding area today, and it didn't seem incredibly dangerous (but what do I know). I understand how it differs block-by-block and how perceived safety is a question of degrees, but what do you think about Washtenaw Ave between Armitage and North?

Is that a more or less safe part of Humboldt Park/West Bucktown???
That's where I live. Please do not call it West Bucktown

It is safe. I have been here a year and a half with no safety issues.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
That's where I live. Please do not call it West Bucktown

It is safe. I have been here a year and a half with no safety issues.
Hey, they got 416 likes, they're unstoppable...

https://www.facebook.com/westbucktown

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Here is good rule of thumb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Hey, they got 416 likes, they're unstoppable...

https://www.facebook.com/westbucktown
There is direct correlation between real estste ads that "extend" the boundaries with modifiers like "west" or "north" and the likelihood that said unit is really in a undesirable area adjacent to the "hot" area where things like the selection of resturants is more along the lines of fast food chains and the bars have the stink of stale beer...

Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is direct correlation between real estste ads that "extend" the boundaries with modifiers like "west" or "north" and the likelihood that said unit is really in a undesirable area adjacent to the "hot" area where things like the selection of resturants is more along the lines of fast food chains and the bars have the stink of stale beer...
Paging West Roscoe Village...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago