Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM

400 posts, read 957,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post

Internet Poster: "You're a Jag."

A2DAC: "Does anyone even understand the meaning of words anymore???
Or has the internet killed any reading comprehension, we as a species, might have had??? "

i like it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Does anyone even understand the meaning of words anymore???
Boundary:

1. Something that indicates bounds or limits; a limiting or bounding line....Boundary, border, frontier share the sense of that which divides one entity or political unit from another. Boundary, in reference to a country, city, state, territory, or the like, most often designates a line on a map: boundaries are shown in red.

Boundaries of Chicago can be found here.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
Quote:

Or has the internet killed any reading comprehension, we as a species, might have had???

Being FROM somewhere is/can be different from where someone lives.

Internet Poster: "Hey A2DAC1985!"

A2DAC: "Hey person-I-just-made-up-to-have-a-fake-conversation-to-make-a-point! How's it going?

Internet Poster: "I'm not too shabby. But I've been thinking... You are a little bit different from the people I usually run into around these parts... Where are you FROM?"

A2DAC: "I'm from Indiana."

Internet Poster: "Oh, really? What city?"

A2DAC: "Well, I was born in Indianapolis, but lived outside the city for a little while."

Internet Poster: "But you now live back in Indianapolis?"

A2DAC: "No."

Internet Poster: "Well, I asked you where you're FROM, and you told me..."

A2DAC: "Yeah, I know what I said. I'm FROM Indianapolis, Indiana. That doesn't mean I live there now."

Internet Poster: "Well... where do you live now?"

A2DAC: "Chicago."

Internet Poster: "Wow!!! That's so cool! I live in Chicago too!"

A2DAC: "Sweet, which neighborhood?"

Internet Poster: "I live in Schaumburg."

A2DAC: "Hmm... I think... wait... I know I'm not the most knowledgable person on Chicago neighborhoods... Maybe you can tell me what side of town it's on?"

Internet Poster: "Sure! The Northwest side."

A2DAC: "That doesn't help me much... I live on the Northwest side and have walked a sizable portion with the dog... And I've looked at a few neighborhood maps... And I don't recall ever seeing a 'Schaumburg' on the Northwest side. Could you be more specific?"

Internet Poster: "Well, I guess it would be West, and a little to the North of O'Hare Airport."

A2DAC: ""

Internet Poster: "You don't know what or where O'Hare is???"

A2DAC: "Oh, no. I most certainly do. I know that 'Politics' helped shape Chicago's boundaries to extend out to just include O'Hare. So, if you are to the West, and then North of O'Hare, you don't live in Chicago."

Internet Poster: "But I live in Chicagoland."

A2DAC: "Yeah, that's not Chicago. It's 'Chicagoland'."

Internet Poster: "OF COURSE IT'S CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a CHICAGOAN!!!!!!!!! People who live in the suburbs their whole lives, but frequent the city on a regular basis are CHICAGOANS!!!!!! THE TRUE CHICAGOANS because I've been to more places in and around Chicago than you!!!!!! Just because you happen to live inside the arbitrary city limits does not mean you are a Chicagoan!"

A2DAC: "It means I am a resident of Chicago. When I have lived INSIDE the city for as long as I did in Indiana, then I might start to consider myself a 'Chicagoan'. And by my estimate I have about 25 years until I can make that claim. But what I need no time limit for is claiming to be a resident of the great CITY of Chicago. Do you see the difference between living in the city and being a Chicagoan?"

Internet Poster: "But those boundaries are silly and arbitrary and..."

A2DAC: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, I know. But here's the thing; They still do matter, no matter how much you want them not to. You can live outside the city and still be a Chicagoan. How? Being from the city to begin with, or spending a very significant amount of time living inside the city. If you have never 'lived' a minute inside the city limits, for me personally, would not call someone a Chicagoan if their only residence has been OUTSIDE the city limits their entire lives. Heading into the city limits once in a blue Moon does not, at least for me, satisfy the criteria of being 'FROM' Chicago or being a 'Chicagoan'.

Internet Poster: "BUT I AM A CHICAGOAN!!!!!!!!!"

A2DAC: "I am in no position to decide your 'Chicagoan' status. I am not debating that for one second. What there is NO DEBATE about is that I live inside the city of Chicago. You live OUTSIDE the city and you are a RESIDENT of Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago. Could you have lived in the city at some point in time and been a Chicagoan inside the city limits of Chicago? Most certainly. But at this point in time, that is not the case. The case is: You are a Chciagoan that lives in a place that is not Chicago. End of Story.

Or has the internet killed any reading comprehension, we as a species, might have had??? "
This reminds me of that "Exact Words" episode of The Brady Bunch where Greg does everything by exact words, not by what someone actually means and how ludricrous life becomes.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:

Or has the internet killed any reading comprehension, we as a species, might have had???

Being FROM somewhere is/can be different from where someone lives.

Internet Poster: "Hey A2DAC1985!"

A2DAC: "Hey person-I-just-made-up-to-have-a-fake-conversation-to-make-a-point! How's it going?

Internet Poster: "I'm not too shabby. But I've been thinking... You are a little bit different from the people I usually run into around these parts... Where are you FROM?"

A2DAC: "I'm from Indiana."

Internet Poster: "Oh, really? What city?"

A2DAC: "Well, I was born in Indianapolis, but lived outside the city for a little while."

Internet Poster: "But you now live back in Indianapolis?"

A2DAC: "No."

Internet Poster: "Well, I asked you where you're FROM, and you told me..."

A2DAC: "Yeah, I know what I said. I'm FROM Indianapolis, Indiana. That doesn't mean I live there now."

Internet Poster: "Well... where do you live now?"

A2DAC: "Chicago."

Internet Poster: "Wow!!! That's so cool! I live in Chicago too!"

A2DAC: "Sweet, which neighborhood?"

Internet Poster: "I live in Schaumburg."

A2DAC: "Hmm... I think... wait... I know I'm not the most knowledgable person on Chicago neighborhoods... Maybe you can tell me what side of town it's on?"

Internet Poster: "Sure! The Northwest side."

A2DAC: "That doesn't help me much... I live on the Northwest side and have walked a sizable portion with the dog... And I've looked at a few neighborhood maps... And I don't recall ever seeing a 'Schaumburg' on the Northwest side. Could you be more specific?"

Internet Poster: "Well, I guess it would be West, and a little to the North of O'Hare Airport."

A2DAC: ""

Internet Poster: "You don't know what or where O'Hare is???"

A2DAC: "Oh, no. I most certainly do. I know that 'Politics' helped shape Chicago's boundaries to extend out to just include O'Hare. So, if you are to the West, and then North of O'Hare, you don't live in Chicago."

Internet Poster: "But I live in Chicagoland."

A2DAC: "Yeah, that's not Chicago. It's 'Chicagoland'."

Internet Poster: "OF COURSE IT'S CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a CHICAGOAN!!!!!!!!! People who live in the suburbs their whole lives, but frequent the city on a regular basis are CHICAGOANS!!!!!! THE TRUE CHICAGOANS because I've been to more places in and around Chicago than you!!!!!! Just because you happen to live inside the arbitrary city limits does not mean you are a Chicagoan!"

A2DAC: "It means I am a resident of Chicago. When I have lived INSIDE the city for as long as I did in Indiana, then I might start to consider myself a 'Chicagoan'. And by my estimate I have about 25 years until I can make that claim. But what I need no time limit for is claiming to be a resident of the great CITY of Chicago. Do you see the difference between living in the city and being a Chicagoan?"

Internet Poster: "But those boundaries are silly and arbitrary and..."

A2DAC: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, I know. But here's the thing; They still do matter, no matter how much you want them not to. You can live outside the city and still be a Chicagoan. How? Being from the city to begin with, or spending a very significant amount of time living inside the city. If you have never 'lived' a minute inside the city limits, for me personally, would not call someone a Chicagoan if their only residence has been OUTSIDE the city limits their entire lives. Heading into the city limits once in a blue Moon does not, at least for me, satisfy the criteria of being 'FROM' Chicago or being a 'Chicagoan'.

Internet Poster: "BUT I AM A CHICAGOAN!!!!!!!!!"

A2DAC: "I am in no position to decide your 'Chicagoan' status. I am not debating that for one second. What there is NO DEBATE about is that I live inside the city of Chicago. You live OUTSIDE the city and you are a RESIDENT of Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago. Could you have lived in the city at some point in time and been a Chicagoan inside the city limits of Chicago? Most certainly. But at this point in time, that is not the case. The case is: You are a Chciagoan that lives in a place that is not Chicago. End of Story.

I'm willing to bet that someone on the northwest side has heard of Shaumburg before. And would understand that he or she was from the burbs before O'hare Airport was brought up.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
I think the elephant in the room here, the reason why people from the suburbs might choose to keep it at "Chicago" instead of "Chicagoland" or "the Chicago area" or "near Chicago", is that there's a sort of cultural prestige in being from a large city, instead of just a suburb of it. American culture might have glamorized suburban living back in the '50s and '60s, but those days are long gone. Now cities are considered cooler, and the suburbs are where vanilla, conservative white people are supposed to live. There's increasingly little truth to this (part of the reason counties like DuPage and Lake are blue now is that they're getting more diverse), but that's still what people think.

This truncation to just the bare city name among suburnanites is especially the case among younger people, in my experience. I had a guy in one of my college classes who claimed to be "from Chicago" and when I asked where, sheepishly specified "Wheaton."

Personally? I was born and grew up in the city proper, but I don't mind it. It's not my job to police other people's language and how they express their identities. Most of us fudge aspects of our identities when presenting ourselves without even thinking about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
I knew someone from Williams Bay Wi, 89 miles away, who claimed to be from the Chicago area.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-28-2017 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Edit distance

Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I knew someone from Williams Bay Wi, 85 miles away, who claimed to be from the Chicago area.
One of my two roommates in college was from Terre Haute, Indiana (181 miles) and used to say he was from "near Chicago" when he was studying abroad in Peru, since most of the natives had never heard of Indianapolis.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:30 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,852 times
Why was an old thread that degraded rapidly, ressurected?

I'm from the greater Chicago area!!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:15 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
If you are from the suburbs of any major city, I think it would be more proper to just say "I live in the Chicago suburbs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago