Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM

258 posts, read 1,003,864 times

Advertisements

To me theres no comparing NYC and Chicago because NYC feels much more like a big city to me. Chicago is a city but doesnt have alot of the history and feel that NYC does to me. The subway system is a big part of it, as its much more complex then in Chicago. However, as many people have stated, its way too expensive to live in Manhatten where all the action is, and why live so far from the action that you cant enjoy it? In Chicago, you can afford to be closer to the action, and therefore Chicago is a better choice unless you make alot of money to throw away to rent. I've considered Brooklyn or some other outter borough to move to and I still am, and then just travel into Manhatten for fun, I'm still comparing rent costs to live in an outter bourough. But Chicago can be a fun city in itself, and is generally safe if you dont cross into bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Where's WesleyPrescott?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
To me theres no comparing NYC and Chicago because NYC feels much more like a big city to me. Chicago is a city but doesnt have alot of the history and feel that NYC does to me.
Disagree partially about the feel part. It depends on where you are and I've had a "NYC" feeling here on numerous, numerous occasions, including my uncle who is from NYC. First time he visited, the first thing he said was "I feel like I'm in Manhattan right now."

As far as history goes, yes obviously NYC has more history as NYC has been an establishment for over 200 years longer than Chicago. Not many cities can compete with that in the US. However, Chicago still has a ton of history. However, just because a place has a lot of history doesn't make it better. In that case, I could say Tashkent, Uzbekistan is a great, great city because it's been around since 500 BC. What matters more is if that history can actually been seen today. When I was just in Turkey, I saw one of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World, but guess what? It was literally only one pillar left of it. So who cares in that case? If I'm going to care about history, it better actually still be accessible.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
I prefer Rome to NYC. Though it's subway system is less extensive, it's history is much more interesting.

Food is better too....

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlajos View Post
i prefer rome to nyc. Though it's subway system is less extensive, it's history is much more interesting.

Food is better too.... :d
+1,000,000

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
all this comparison between Central Park and Lincoln Park leaves me a bit confused.

Yes, I'd agree that Manhattan revolves around one park, Central Park; nothing is in its league although a number of parks in the outer boroughs are quite substantial.

But Chicago's core is hardly built around just Lincoln Park. In fact, there is a very important park right in the heart of everything....iterally our "front door"....of course I'm talking about Grant Park and if one includes as part of its complex both Millennium Park and the Museum Campus, this alone would create a blockbuster park that few cities in the US could measure up against.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
all this comparison between Central Park and Lincoln Park leaves me a bit confused.

Yes, I'd agree that Manhattan revolves around one park, Central Park; nothing is in its league although a number of parks in the outer boroughs are quite substantial.

But Chicago's core is hardly built around just Lincoln Park. In fact, there is a very important park right in the heart of everything....iterally our "front door"....of course I'm talking about Grant Park and if one includes as part of its complex both Millennium Park and the Museum Campus, this alone would create a blockbuster park that few cities in the US could measure up against.
I agree that LP + Grant Park + Museum Campus are great, but I dont get the vibe that CHICAGOANS use Grant Park as a getaway from the big city the way NYers do with Central Park (or Prospect Park); Grant Park seems to be more of a place to host events as Lola or some other concert. I dont get park feel, as much as "big open grassy space"

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM

72 posts, read 242,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Where's WesleyPrescott?
Haha, I'm here. Don't worry. I'm actually sitting back a little bit and reading everyone's input. I appreciate all the great answers.

I agree that New York is much closer to the action and you have more cities nearby. I know a popular area close to NYC is the Poconos and that's actually where I'm from.

It is super convenient.

I do notice that the east coast does feel very.. congested to say the least. I want the big city feel, but at a more livable pace. Every time I visited Manhattan.. it was just so overwhelming. Also, every time I asked someone for help, they either didn't speak English or wanted nothing to do with me.

The people there just didn't feel so welcoming.

A big draw to Chicago for me is that there is less competition and a better COL. I am pursuing a degree in advertising and I've done my research on quite a few large firms out there and it seems like there would be plenty of opportunity with less of the cut-throat competition you would see in Manhattan.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
Haha, I'm here. Don't worry. I'm actually sitting back a little bit and reading everyone's input. I appreciate all the great answers.

I agree that New York is much closer to the action and you have more cities nearby. I know a popular area close to NYC is the Poconos and that's actually where I'm from.

It is super convenient.

I do notice that the east coast does feel very.. congested to say the least. I want the big city feel, but at a more livable pace. Every time I visited Manhattan.. it was just so overwhelming. Also, every time I asked someone for help, they either didn't speak English or wanted nothing to do with me.

The people there just didn't feel so welcoming.

A big draw to Chicago for me is that there is less competition and a better COL. I am pursuing a degree in advertising and I've done my research on quite a few large firms out there and it seems like there would be plenty of opportunity with less of the cut-throat competition you would see in Manhattan.
It's definitely less congested here, more livable, but still a big city with tons going on. I don't know if you've ever been to Chicago, but you should take a visit. You never know, you might not like it either afterall..or you may love it.

As far as Advertising (/marketing) goes..there's a number here. Look at Leo Burnett as they are headquartered here. I'm sure you know who they are if you're in college for advertising.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I said "a few" of the art scenes, not "THE arts scene." So you showed my point. For example, you cannot tell me that Chicago's fashion industry/scene is better than NYC's, but you could show me how other "scenes" in Chicago are just as good as in NYC (or possibly better).
I don't think I showed your point at all as it's hard to respond to vast generalizations with little detail given. I was merely responding to a very specific area of "the arts". You're right though, the fashion scene in NYC is better, the fine art scene is not.

Last edited by chitownperson; 05-01-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago