Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Three main problems- Hawk, the neighborhood, and the stadium.
Bridgeport is a great neighborhood. I'd rather hang out there than Wrigleyville most days, actually. The problem is the area immediately around the stadium itself. Like most modern stadiums it's surrounded by parking lots, which doesn't really leave much space for anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Bridgeport is a great neighborhood. I'd rather hang out there than Wrigleyville most days, actually. The problem is the area immediately around the stadium itself. Like most modern stadiums it's surrounded by parking lots, which doesn't really leave much space for anything else.
It's all about $$$ with parking. Building a one level parking lot is probably a little cheaper than building a ramp (especially a semi underground ramp). it would be a nice project though...Make some 30 story buildings, make the parking above and have bars/restaurants/shopping on the floor levels.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building a one level parking lot is probably a little cheaper than building a ramp (especially a semi underground ramp).
Actually, it's WAY cheaper. Parking garages cost $15,000-$40,000 per space to build. I don't know what parking lots cost per space, but I'd guess it's more like a few hundred. Your point is right on target, though.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Actually, it's WAY cheaper. Parking garages cost $15,000-$40,000 per space to build. I don't know what parking lots cost per space, but I'd guess it's more like a few hundred. Your point is right on target, though.
Yep. I think you are spot on about the main problem is the area right around the stadium... If there was more immediate things to do instead of a parking lot, it would be much better and I bet attendance would rise. I have only been to that stadium itself maybe 5-7 times, but I have friends who are big Sox fans and on Facebook I always see pictures of them tailgating in the parking lot and they are not the only ones.

It's like, how the HELL do they not see this? The White Sox are better than the Cubs, yet their attendance is lower, all the time. One reason is because because there's crap to do before and after the game directly next to the stadium. It just baffles my mind. It's expensive to build a parking garage and such, but it's do-able. Just blows my mind everytime I think about it.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Yep. I think you are spot on about the main problem is the area right around the stadium... If there was more immediate things to do instead of a parking lot, it would be much better and I bet attendance would rise. I have only been to that stadium itself maybe 5-7 times, but I have friends who are big Sox fans and on Facebook I always see pictures of them tailgating in the parking lot and they are not the only ones.

It's like, how the HELL do they not see this? The White Sox are better than the Cubs, yet their attendance is lower, all the time. One reason is because because there's crap to do before and after the game directly next to the stadium. It just baffles my mind. It's expensive to build a parking garage and such, but it's do-able. Just blows my mind everytime I think about it.
I wondered this too. While more expense to build a garage, the long term profits are much higher. There is little maintenance needed on a parking structure, they are really a cash cow.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I'm really sick of the cubs vs sox fans comparison. I remember watching chicago code and the first question they would ask everyone 'hey cubs or sox?', its embarrasing. I'm a big Sox fan (watching the game now), but still root for the Cubs whenever they are not playing the Sox, enjoy going to games, ect...
I agree; I'm happy to go to either park, depending upon who happens to be at home whenever I'm visiting Chicago; the atmosphere is a little more serious at the Cell, however, but that's OK by me..

Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I wondered this too. While more expense to build a garage, the long term profits are much higher. There is little maintenance needed on a parking structure, they are really a cash cow.
Yep, in the long run it's way better. Look at even now, the Sox are doing well, yet the attendence is 27th out of 30! 21,000 per game average in a stadium that can fit 40,000. The Cubs sell out or near sell out every single game even when they SUCK. It's absolutely amazing.

So, let's say you spend $30 million on new parking and developments around your stadium, but you see an increase of at least 10,000 people per game. Let's say the average price for a ticket is $20. Let's say you have an 80 home game season. 10,000 empty seats, but 10,000 gained on average per game would be an extra $16 million a year. That's not even counting the price you'd charge for parking (maybe a few dollars extra).

By that alone, you could pay off your $30 million investment in a few seasons easily. you might have to hire some more staff because of more people, but that's minimal in the grand scheme of things ($10/hour, 5 hours a day for games, 80 games, 20 new people is $80,000 a season).

Are the owners of the stadium (I guess it's not owned by the Sox owners?) afraid if new bars come right around the stadium it will steal their revenue from in-stadium alcohol? Do they not see the potential increase of attendance from a project like this? Ridiculous. Also, I think it would be more attractive to other events such as concerts to be held there. It's pretty much a win-win for the economy if the attendance were to rise by that much.. New developments = new business = more jobs = larger GDP possibly = ....

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
If there was more immediate things to do instead of a parking lot, it would be much better and I bet attendance would rise.
I have to wonder, since old Comiskey Park was in essentially the same spot, and since its construction predated widespread use of the automobile: Was there once a business district around the stadium that was eventually torn down for parking lots? Obviously at a certain point people in the U.S. started caring more about having a place to park than they cared about walkable districts, but thankfully that trend is reversing in many places.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Three main problems- Hawk, the neighborhood, and the stadium.
Hawk's an irritating wally, but the neighborhood is fine and so is the stadium (post-rehab anyway).

Old 06-14-2012, 10:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
^^ Comiskey (sorry I don't like calling it by it's corporate idiom)is a better overall place to watch a game. It is easier to walk around, there are more food choices and I like their promotions better, like fireworks night, Elvis night and bring your dog to the park. Wrigley is a better on field experience with the ivy, large crowds and seemingly closer seats. Switch the stadiums and the White Sox sell out every game while the Cubs endure attendance problems during the bad years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago