Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I went to the Sox game last night - attendance was pretty good for a Thursday night, I thought - 25K and change.

The real problem was taking the red-line home after the game. For some really weird reason, it was WILDLY over-crowded. I had never been so tightly packed in to an EL car before. And it's not like I've never taken the red line to/from a Sox game before. What's funny is how 90% of the train empties at Jackson.
I've similar experiences at the Cell after Sox games, but it's always after a Sun afternoon game; the subway is quite packed ( just like Boston), and yes, quite a few exit at Jackson, like me, to take the Blue Line northward. Come to think of it, I usually see a bunch of White Sox fans standing on the platform at Cumberland, ready to make the long commute to the South Side for the game..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Yep, that's correct. In terms of driving distance (according to google maps), Wrigley is 6.6 miles from The Loop, and the Cell is 5.4.

Wonder where that is measuring from and the route is. Wrigley is at Addison/Sheffield (3600 N/1000 W) which is 4 1/2 miles north of Madison and 1 1/4 miles west of State, so I could see 6 miles max (drive west to Halsted and north to Addison).

Sox park is at 35th and Shields (3500 S/324 W) which is 3 1/2 miles south of Madison and let's say 3/8 miles west of State. No more than 4 miles of driving.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM

459 posts, read 723,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
You mean like the Dodger and Angels stadiums?
Now that you mention it, yeah. I mean we have buses/subways to get there, but people in cars come from all across the Southland to the game, hence the parking lot. In our metro, we need them.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM

459 posts, read 723,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Cell and Wrigley Field are nearly equidistant from the Loop, and if anything the Cell is a tiny bit closer. I think Wrigley Field just "feels" closer because of the contiguous dense urban development along the shoreline from downtown all the way up through (and past) Wrigleyville.
Thanks for pointing that out. You're right. The route we took to get to Wrigley was very urban and compact, as well as contiguously built up. I felt like we were back in LA (minus the skyline) driving to the Sox stadium.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post

Wonder where that is measuring from and the route is.
You can google it yourself in less time than it took you to proclaim your wonder.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. You're right. The route we took to get to Wrigley was very urban and compact, as well as contiguously built up. I felt like we were back in LA (minus the skyline) driving to the Sox stadium.
I bet you took the expressway down then. When you're looking down a corridor that's 14 lanes and two RR tracks wide, it's easy to get a sense that you're driving through wide-open spaces. There's no similar way to get to Wrigley from downtown. Even if you take Lake Shore, there's a wall of urban development immediately to your left.

If you had taken Halsted Street down toward the Cell, you might have gotten a different picture. Once you get 2 blocks west of the Cell, you're in the thick of a neighborhood that's 15,000 people per square mile.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
The gentification of Lakeview accounts for difference in the attendance between the Cubs and the Sox. Before that the Cubs' and Sox attendance were comparable. See Lee Elia's 1983 comments about the 3,000 fans that were at Wrigley Field one day in 1983.

With the gentrification, young people from Iowa, Michigan, etc. with disposable income that liked to get drunk moved into the neighborhood and Wrigely Field became an event rather than a place to watch baseball.

Print it.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
The gentification of Lakeview accounts for difference in the attendance between the Cubs and the Sox. Before that the Cubs' and Sox attendance were comparable. See Lee Elia's 1983 comments about the 3,000 fans that were at Wrigley Field one day in 1983.

With the gentrification, young people from Iowa, Michigan, etc. with disposable income that liked to get drunk moved into the neighborhood and Wrigely Field became an event rather than a place to watch baseball.

Print it.
That's the cliche line that Sox fans use to make themselves feel better. But it doesn't explain why the Cubs have higher TV viewership, a far wider-reaching audience, higher merchandise sales, and a 50% higher franchise value.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's the cliche line that Sox fans use to make themselves feel better. But it doesn't explain why the Cubs have higher TV viewership, a far wider-reaching audience, higher merchandise sales, and a 50% higher franchise value.
the tv viewership is WGN vs. pay tv (ontv); the higher value comes from greater attendance and greater tv

the historical attendance figures are not a cliche

Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
My brother-in-law recently took off on his his motorcycle on a whim, driving all night from Reno, NV to Oakland, CA just to catch a White Sox 'away' game. Immediately after the game he returned home on his motorcycle and slept just 2-3 hours before work the next day. So, yes, some of them are quite.. devoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago