Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM

229 posts, read 469,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Only when the teams are winning.
The united center has had the highest attendance in the NBA for last couple of years and ranked in the top 5 even during the 1999-2005 era when the team was horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM

229 posts, read 469,062 times
Although i can honestly i hate the white sox and their fans i am also a Chicago folk and i care about the city.
I think the best possible solution would be to renovate the surrounding areas. They can add more bars, restaurants maybe even a mall? All this would give people to stick around the neighborhood before and after the game.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I go to cubs games to drink and party. That is pretty much why the cubs always seem to fill the seats. Most people who go to Sox games want to ACTUALLY WATCH the game. I find baseball fairly boring to watch, unless I am drinking. I have always claimed to be a "Chicago" fan. There are too many games in baseball and there is just not enough action in a game for me to sit and watch every play.

Basketball or Football is different. I would rather see one of those games any day. Like I said though, I always enjoy a reason to drink and party. The sox have tailgating which is cool, but they don't have the bars in the area for the after party.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
^^^ Pretty much. Wrigley and Cubs game are a huge tourist attraction. It's definitely not that way for the Sox. It is much 'cooler' to be a Cubs fan as well...how else could you earn the moniker of 'loveable losers'?
There is absolutely nothing cool about:
Go Cubs goooo! Go Cubs goooo!
Hey Chicago whaddya say?

The Cubs are gonna win today!

Makes me cringe every time I hear it. It's in competition with "The Patriots and We" from Superbowl XX as the worst team related song.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Not for the Blackhawks, though. I went to several Hawk games 4-5 years ago, and the entire balcony was empty; it was almost embarassing to be there, and I was a tourist..
We had our reasons.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
We had our reasons.
I suspect that the reasons began, and ended, with Bill Wirtz..

Of course, the team wasn't anything special, either..

Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Sox season ticket sales are down and the "dynamic pricing" nonsense that the Sox are currently using serves to punish the casual fan that might decide to attend on a lark. While you can find ticket sale codes with some quick web surfing, the casual fan likely isn't going to spend a lot of time tracking those down. And even though the team is in first place currently, it takes a while for that to translate into walk-up sales, but you're not going to get 10,000 walk-ups on a regular basis regardless.

The smaller season ticket base also has impacted the secondary market. Go on stubhub and see how many tickets are available for upcoming games at Sox park vs. Wrigley. Around 1200 on average available for upcoming Sox games and around 3500 on average available for Cubs games. So there is a supply shortage on the secondary market.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Frankly I don't get the Wrigley Field love. Yes, the history of it is cool, but as it is today, it sure isn't very nice. I imagine some tourists are surprised on what it doesn't have, like modern amenities found at every other major league ballpark. And unless you live in the neighborhood, its a royal pain to get to. It very over rated.

I much prefer Comiskey-US Cellular Field and its not just because I am a Sox fan. Yup, it doesn't have as much history, but with the recent reno and the that its been home to the Sox for twenty years now, its coming into its own. You never end up missing an inning because you drank too much and have wait in line to use the restroom. Plus the 300 level is really nice, when its hot, you can duck into the a/c for a couple minutes. Plus its easy to park too.

And the average Sox fan is more into the game then any Cubs fan.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM

95 posts, read 219,366 times
Several others have said it perfectly. Sox fans go to actually watch the game. Lots of Cubs fans are at the park solely for the experience of Wrigley/Wrigleyville. While there are some who are there truly for the game, lots are there to see and be seen, get some sun, and drink. Not so for Sox fans- we want to actually see the game.

And of course transportation/the neighborhood plays a role. There's plenty to do before and after a game in Lakeview; not so in Bridgeport. And lots of Cubs fans live around the park. It's an incredibly densely populated area where people can simply step outside their front door at be right at Wrigley. And lots of people at Cubs games are college/just graduated kids with time on their hands to actually go to games. I'm a northside Sox fan who works all day. I wish I had the opportunity to go to Comiskey (will never call it US Cellular) more often, but when I get off of work, I don't feel like taking a bus and a train to the southside, and doing that all over again to get back home, so I watch the games on tv when I get home. How many of those casual Cubs fans who go to the park just because it's something to do would actually sit and watch 9 innings at home?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
And unless you live in the neighborhood, its a royal pain to get to.
It's literally across the street from a stop on a major el line. It's the complete opposite of "royal pain to get to". I'm having trouble thinking of any attraction in Chicago that's easier to get to, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago