Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Young. Early 20s would be my best guess. I dunno, maybe they thought it was funny, or....? Can't say. I'm not in the heads of morons.
If this happened in Portage Park there's a fair chance they're from Poland, where much of the population still hasn't exactly embraced Western European/American-style aspirations of ethnic and racial harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, last week, me (a white guy), a black guy and a Mexican guy were hangin out at my place...
A punchline waiting to happen...

Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If this happened in Portage Park there's a fair chance they're from Poland, where much of the population still hasn't exactly embraced Western European/American-style aspirations of ethnic and racial harmony...
Was going to say this and agreed with the general idea.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

A punchline waiting to happen...
I know, right? Especially when we go out. :P Like I said - WE'RE AWSOME!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Nope, just pointing out that lots of people don't let word and thoughts of strangers intimidate them.
Who said anything about being intimidated?

Anyway, I'm half tempted to press you, but won't because I don't feel like it. But in case you're unable follow your own conversation, I'll summarize:
  1. You posted some screed which more or less went "Oh, so a bad thing happened, but I'm here to assure you racism isn't a thing."
  2. Someone responded, "Always a good time when folks who have never experienced a certain thing try to assure those who have that it isn't actually a thing."
  3. Then you said it's not a thing for people who... actually point 3 is unclear, as it didn't really make any sense. You seem to have claimed racism isn't a problem for people who take responsibility for themselves? Juh?
  4. Upon questioning, your response was lots of black people flee Chicago to the suburbs.
Uh, all right then. How 4 reconciles 3 is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Delicious Lorrie,

How so you feel about a thread you started YESTERDAY already being 11 pages long?
Aye, change your settings, brah. Only six pages for me. Also, Lorie. One r.

Edit: Really, Drover? I've been on the far NW side for nearly two years, and the Polish immigrants in general have been entirely friendly in a way the folks in other neighborhoods that the C-D crowd seems to love have not. This is the second time in this thread it's been suggested that the sticks I live in are home to backward attitudes, when the crap I've dealt with in Chicago has never been in my neighborhood until Friday. It's possible that they were Polish, but based on my experiences in Chicago, I'd be very surprised if they were.

Last edited by Lorielicious; 03-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: stuff

Old 03-10-2013, 01:43 PM

190 posts, read 315,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardias View Post
maybe racism in chicago would be less common if black people would actually take better care of each other and their communities.

the people I know that have prejudices against black people are not full of blind hatred; mostly they do not respect people that refuse to better their own kind and generally accept the litter, drug dealing, violence, and stupidity found in black neighborhoods. at some point black people need to stop placing blame or accepting the role of victim and simply empower themselves and marginalize the shtheads among their kind. If they cannot do so like the italians/germans/irish/etc. have done already, then black people should not expect respect from others. If one does not respect themselves, how can anyone else respect them?

I write this as a mixed race, low income urban fellow in garfield park.
jesus christ, way to group group black people as a single entity.

you do realize the black community is composed of individuals with their own beliefs, thoughts, and actions, right?

this kind of thinking is what creates racism in the first place. us/them all day long.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Well, I think it makes you a City Data celebrity - famous on the internets..

Okay, not really. But more worthy of that 500 dollar cash prize than Chet.

Last edited by urza216; 03-10-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
jesus christ, way to group group black people as a single entity.

you do realize the black community is composed of individuals with their own beliefs, thoughts, and actions, right?

this kind of thinking is what creates racism in the first place. us/them all day long.
Pro tip: Whenever a recently registered poster has one post of a controversial nature, some trolling is afoot. I don't charge for this advice; I'm a philanthropist.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Who said anything about being intimidated?

Anyway, I'm half tempted to press you, but won't because I don't feel like it. But in case you're unable follow your own conversation, I'll summarize:
  1. You posted some screed which more or less went "Oh, so a bad thing happened, but I'm here to assure you racism isn't a thing."
  2. Someone responded, "Always a good time when folks who have never experienced a certain thing try to assure those who have that it isn't actually a thing."
  3. Then you said it's not a thing for people who... actually point 3 is unclear, as it didn't really make any sense. You seem to have claimed racism isn't a problem for people who take responsibility for themselves? Juh?
  4. Upon questioning, your response was lots of black people flee Chicago to the suburbs.
Uh, all right then. How 4 reconciles 3 is beyond me.

Number one and two are your feelings and perceptions, not mine. No one said racism isn't a bad thing. Number three is not comprehensible and yes number four emphasizes that many flee because of fear, crime and the incivility of their own community.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Number one and two are your feelings and perceptions, not mine. No one said racism isn't a bad thing. Number three is not comprehensible and yes number four emphasizes that many flee because of fear, crime and the incivility of their own community.
Hee! Okay.

1) It's very clear to anyone who can read that you're dodging the question.

2) There is no 2. Happy Sunday, everyone!

Cheers.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Happy trails Lorie, Wherever they may lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago