Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 PM

142 posts, read 432,088 times

Advertisements

Being a Wisconsinite, I've had to adopt/adjust to a lot of Chicago slang...

Soda became "pop"... Sneakers became "gym shoes"... Highways became "expressways"... the Living room became the "front room"... and Where are you? became "Where you at?"

Oddly enough, I've lived here 3 years now, and I use all the Chicago slang now. My friends back home barely recognize me by the way I talk now...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

172 posts, read 485,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post
Being a Wisconsinite, I've had to adopt/adjust to a lot of Chicago slang...

Soda became "pop"... Sneakers became "gym shoes"... Highways became "expressways"... the Living room became the "front room"... and Where are you? became "Where you at?"

Oddly enough, I've lived here 3 years now, and I use all the Chicago slang now. My friends back home barely recognize me by the way I talk now...
I heard all those expressions back home in Detroit, so I guess its a Great Lakes Midwest thing. Actually, from what I heard, the term pop stems from Faygo, who was the first to bill their soda as "soda pop"

The only term i've heard here that I haven't heard in other places is "Jag-off". I really can't think of anything else that is unique to this area

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,219 times
Default Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mromero84 View Post
ok...i can figure out "bogus" and "pop"...which by the way is so cool for an outsider to notice the regional dialect/slang in comparison to southern dialect/slang

but does anyone know what a "softball" is??

"so how much I owe ya??..."

"its a softball g, just pay me tomorrow?"

??????
the word is not soft ball its "sau buc" and it mean 10 dollars

Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
The only term i've heard here that I haven't heard in other places is "Jag-off". I really can't think of anything else that is unique to this area
"Jag-off" seems like a New Jersey or Brooklyn type of slang word. But I guess parts of Chicago aren't so different from parts of Jersey or Brooklyn.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I have to confess to using the word 'jag-off' on more than one occasion. In fact, I think I used it to describe someone just this week.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
"Jag-off" seems like a New Jersey or Brooklyn type of slang word. But I guess parts of Chicago aren't so different from parts of Jersey or Brooklyn.
Nah, the only place I have ever heard it is in the Chicago area. I even told Neonwattagelimit about the word when I last saw him. He had never heard it before and he is from N.Y...

Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcri View Post
..."sau buc" and it mean 10 dollars
No, it is "sawbuck." Here is some proof.

Sawbuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sawbuck - definition of sawbuck by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

sawbuck - Definition at the #1 Online Dictionary

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromero84 View Post
ok...i can figure out "bogus" and "pop"...which by the way is so cool for an outsider to notice the regional dialect/slang in comparison to southern dialect/slang

but does anyone know what a "softball" is??

"so how much I owe ya??..."

"its a softball g, just pay me tomorrow?"

??????

lol, you might have misheard them. Since its in reference to money, im assuming you misheard "softball" instead of "softbuck" which is $10

Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
It's funny when you're away from Chicago for a long time and you come back to visit family, you're hit with all the slag you sort of forgot about. My cousin's favorite word has to be "jag off." He said it in reference to his neighbor one Christmas visit and I just died laughing. I totally forgot about the term and suddenly had childhood memories of the adults in the family, doing the gossip thing and complaining about the "jag off down the street".

Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redglassofwine View Post
no one really says yous guys, its more like you guys.
Thanks goodness for that! I grew up on the south side with "youse guys", until my college room mates beat it our of me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago