Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times

Advertisements

I think some of these girls are overweight and lonely (the term f-hag comes to mind), and a lot of them hang with attractive gay men as a way of deflection. Maybe these guys give them more validation too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Good point. What kills me is when women want to take me with them to go shopping and get their nails done and when they find out they have to help me more then I help them is funny. I have no sense of fashion! Lol!
I think that is a missconception among women,that all gay men are fashionable. When my husband and I were looking for an apartment here in Andersonville, the two guys who lived there were an older gay couple, both looked like some members of Hells Angels or a similar Harley Davidson MC gang. Big beer belly's, arms covered with tattoos, leather ..lol..As far as their apartment, it was absolutely gorgeous. They sure knew how to do decorate their living space.
Working at an department store in Memphis my manager was this stereotypical gay guy most people are picturing when they thinking of gay people. Those types are the once you notice too when walking down the street too. Which is probably where the stereotype is coming from.

I am a big pro gay rights person mainly because of my sister in law. Well, she was the one that truly opened my eyes for it. She has been with her gf for 16 years when they served in the Air-force together.. Their home state does not allow gay marriage and it has been hard for them.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:38 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
The same can be said elsewhere. Maybe you need to travel more.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Yes, very common in urban areas at least. I often see lots of straight women with gay male friends climb into my cab here in Boston. They're both giggling, silly and havin' a gay old time.

As someone just said, some think all gays are fashionable, gorgeous, witty, sympathetic and interesting, etc., just like on Will and Grace and some other shows.

In reality, there are fat slob "bears" (me) who can't cook, dress, see, sing, decorate or do your hair and nails. We're normal, not FABULOUS. And I don't march in gay parades.

When some gay guys think I'm str8, they're interested at times until they realize I'm gay. Not as sexy to them at that point. Not that I'm that difficult to spot as gay, but some gays just don't have the gaydar they think they have.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
When some gay guys think I'm str8, they're interested at times until they realize I'm gay. Not as sexy to them at that point. Not that I'm that difficult to spot as gay, but some gays just don't have the gaydar they think they have.
My gaydar doesn't work most if the time now. I've met some feminine straight men who you would swear where gay and the other way around. What gets me are the number of gay men who look so hard core.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Maybe this isn't just a Chicago thing but I've noticed straight women love hanging out with gay men. They even like to go to gay bars. The moment they find out I'm gay, a light goes on and they let their guard down and enjoy being around me. I don't mind the attention but wow! If straight men got the same attention, they would be in heaven.

What's up with that?
Some straight women don't like to hang out with gay men. Some straight women are indifferent to your sexual orientation when determining friendships. And some straight women seem to be more of what you have experienced. Sometimes that's based on your individual personalities, interests, compatibility, etc..I'm not one to make many sweeping generalizations. It isn't a Chicago thing, nor any other location thing. If your experiences have worked out to your liking, great, good for you. Without knowing the individual people you've encountered, nor you, I wouldn't be able to say about your experiences. But I also wouldn't be able to make a sweeping judgement about Chicago, nor any other geography, nor about "straight" women. But again, if you've had positive experiences, that's great, good for you.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Maybe this isn't just a Chicago thing but I've noticed straight women love hanging out with gay men. They even like to go to gay bars. The moment they find out I'm gay, a light goes on and they let their guard down and enjoy being around me. I don't mind the attention but wow! If straight men got the same attention, they would be in heaven.

What's up with that?
I am a straight male but have a number of gay friends and pretty much absolutely true and it's true in many other places, not just in Chicago or even the US. My foreign ex girlfriend and all her foreign friends loved my gay friends. They like them because they think many gay guys are more feminine or are into more things that they personally enjoy - so they can relate. Obviously not true of everyone, but there is that. Also the fact they know the guy will probably never try and sleep with them and make things awkward. I think it's just a matter of being open minded though. I had women friends from relatively small towns in Iowa who never lived in big cities who loved gay guys too. However, there are many people who are not like this as you know.

And as a side note, as a straight guy, it really works out well when they find out you're friends with gay guys. Most open minded ones just automatically trust you a little more because of it right away and realize you're probably comfortable/confident in who you are.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
I am a Chicago woman who used to love hanging out with gaymen. But just as spending most of my time with women, I realized that hangingwith gay men was counter-productive to me meeting single straight men, since Iam single and looking lol.

But gay men make great friends because they have an honestyand directness that I appreciate and don’t get from other women. My gay guy friends helped me learned somethings about dating and relationships that I found to be valuable and havelearned to apply their advice to my life. The gay men I used to hang out with areno longer around but I still will go to a gay bar, but only on occasion. I misshaving a circle of gay men to hang with. Gay men keep it real! I love that.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I am a Chicago woman who used to love hanging out with gaymen. But just as spending most of my time with women, I realized that hangingwith gay men was counter-productive to me meeting single straight men, since Iam single and looking lol.
I think that depends on the person and everything. I have gay friends who actually introduced me to a handful of women I ended up dating or what not. But I could see how some don't do that.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

But gay men make great friends because they have an honestyand directness that I appreciate and don’t get from other women. My gay guy friends helped me learned somethings about dating and relationships that I found to be valuable and havelearned to apply their advice to my life. The gay men I used to hang out with areno longer around but I still will go to a gay bar, but only on occasion. I misshaving a circle of gay men to hang with. Gay men keep it real! I love that.
My best friend is straight female and always respect my advice. (i give her better advice than i do myself) She knows she can call me anytime day or night when she wants to talk and the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago