Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
The top 400 wealthiest americans own the same wealth as the bottom 150 million (50%).

Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Assuming you're serious, all I can say is some of our south and west side brethren don't know nearly as much about the north side as they think they do.

Yes, Yuppie is a hugely derogatory term amongst most people I know. Why? Well, you can look it up, but it essentially is a slur to describe the gentrifiers who forced loads of people out of their neighborhoods.

In recent years it has taken on even more negative overtones to describe the tone-deaf types who see removing blue collar and less-than-6 figure making people as "urban renewal."

Or, you could also buy a used copy of any collection of Mike Royko's columns, he covered the topic in depth.
Yes, exactly on all fronts. I totally agree with you for why it's a derogatory term and also that people on the south/west sides don't know as much about the north side as they think they do - and the same can be said about north siders not knowing as much about the south/west sides as they think they do. The funny thing is that some people stereotype the entire north side as all white, when in reality, the areas like Uptown, Albany Park, Rogers Park, etc are all decently integrated amongst many races.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Yes, well, some news has broken to make the whole thing even more depressing: The machine gunning essentially lacked a motive!

That's right: A gangbanger had been shot at earlier in the day so he and his pals simply drove by the park and sprayed it because it was in the other gang's territory. They weren't even going after a specific person!

Woo-hoo progress!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Nice diversion tactic.

I presume having an education makes one a yuppie? Seriously? Hahahahahaha. Gee, I must be a yuppie too.
I can't really divert from something that doesn't exist, and that would be anything of value from you. Are you under the delusion we all want our neighborhoods to be more like West Garfield Park?

Please, educate us, O Wise One.

And yeah, you're on a computer and live in an urban area. So if you're less than 60 years old, yep, you're a yuppie too.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, exactly on all fronts. I totally agree with you for why it's a derogatory term and also that people on the south/west sides don't know as much about the north side as they think they do - and the same can be said about north siders not knowing as much about the south/west sides as they think they do. The funny thing is that some people stereotype the entire north side as all white, when in reality, the areas like Uptown, Albany Park, Rogers Park, etc are all decently integrated amongst many races.
There's a huge divide, no doubt. And it's true that north siders can be clueless about other parts of the city, but nobody here is really personifying that (when we get a self-identifying Chad or LP Trixie, it'll be different).

In my experience, in the past 20 years it's been the south and west siders who are lucky.

Be wary when the developers/real estate cabal sets its sight on your neighborhood. What comes in short order is a lot of crappy construction and your friends and family being uprooted from their neighborhood. Progress is inevitable, but it doesn't mean much to those who can't afford to stick around and enjoy it.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM

btw, I was in the Back of Yards all day yesterday. Taking public transportation, even! I somehow survived.

I imagine it has something to do with not being stupid enough to time my visit with being in a place known for problems late on school nights.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, I was in the Back of Yards all day yesterday. Taking public transportation, even! I somehow survived.

I imagine it has something to do with not being stupid enough to time my visit with being in a place known for problems late on school nights.
I'm glad you survived but that does nothing to negate the fact that it's a gang infested warzone.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I'm glad you survived but that does nothing to negate the fact that it's a gang infested warzone.
In relative terms, yes, it's gang infested.

But I do wonder what that term actually means, in terms of hard stats.

What % of residents in an area have to be affiliated/self-identify with a gang for it to meet that threshold?

I have no idea. It seems like a pretty fluid kind of description which has to do with the feel of public spaces in the evening.

Meaning, I suspect that 90% of people in the Back of the Yards have nothing whatsoever to do with gangs and just avoid areas that are known to be problematic/hot spots.

They shouldn't have to do that, of course. In a perfect world I ought to be able to go out to a park at 10 pm and do whatever I damned well please. But knowingly putting your kids at risk is a different matter IMO.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
My friend used to live in Back of The Yards.. He moved out because of issues with his roommates not the neighborhood. It varies block by block. There are parts you probably want to avoid but it's not really the whole neighborhood..

Last edited by urza216; 09-24-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago