Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
This is true, but it's not like jobs magically grow on trees.

Other parts of the City have either figured out how to incubate businesses that employ people, or their residents just go wherever the jobs are.

There aren't lots of living-wage jobs in Avondale either, but it's not like I or my neighbors just go "damn, no legitimate work here so I better try dealing coke on the corner."

I'm getting increasingly sick and tired of this "no jobs" excuse. I have friends who commute almost 2 hours each way to get to/from work.

Show of hands - how many people here actually work within a few miles of their home?
I commute a half hour to the hood for work. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I commute a half hour to the hood for work. lol

I've heard of the reverse commute but never thought of it that way. ha ha

Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Hi-freaking-larious. I love this generation of the Reader social writers, they are all convinced that the Damen L stop is the navel of the City:

The migration of the hipster | Feature | Chicago Reader

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
What's that mean..navel of the city?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What's that mean..navel of the city?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
The Reader has long been obsessed with Wicker Park, to the extent that they can't fathom that a) it isn't the end-all be-all of cool and b) that their relentless and myopic hype contributed to why Wicker Park crashed and burned in the first place.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
The Reader has long been obsessed with Wicker Park, to the extent that they can't fathom that a) it isn't the end-all be-all of cool and b) that their relentless and myopic hype contributed to why Wicker Park crashed and burned in the first place.
Wicker Park crashed and burned?

Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wicker Park crashed and burned?
From a serious artistic and cultural hub standpoint, as in where innovation was happening and new ground was being broken? Long ago.

Ironically enough, the Reader covered it well, linked in the hipster article:

The Panic in Wicker Park | Feature | Chicago Reader

I just find the Reader increasingly schizophrenic. Half the staff decries the pitfalls of gentrification/segregation while the other half - if unwittingly - promotes it.

It barely resembles the paper I grew up with anymore, Dumke and Joravsky and the periodical super in-depth investigative story (like the Burge stories) are why I read it now.

My personal opinion is they got fat and lazy from ad revenues when they were the only game in town (or at least on the north side).

They were slow to embrace the new reality of the Internet and specifically, apartment advertising on Craigs List. Time Out Chicago saw an opening and went for it, and since then the Reader has been tearing itself in half trying to be both a go-to for all happening events while also staying true to their counterculture roots.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Anyway, it's ludicrous. Elminate out of wedlock kids and in many instances you eliminate poverty
Please tell me how you arrived at this conclusion.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
This is true, but it's not like jobs magically grow on trees.

Other parts of the City have either figured out how to incubate businesses that employ people, or their residents just go wherever the jobs are.

There aren't lots of living-wage jobs in Avondale either, but it's not like I or my neighbors just go "damn, no legitimate work here so I better try dealing coke on the corner."

I'm getting increasingly sick and tired of this "no jobs" excuse. I have friends who commute almost 2 hours each way to get to/from work.

Show of hands - how many people here actually work within a few miles of their home?
This post REEKS of privilege, and you're so used to privilege you can't even see it.

Commuting to work takes time AND money. If you don't have a car, you have to get on public transportation. My job offers a $200+ stipend for commuting costs. Does a low-wage job do the same?? Doubtful.

"Other parts of the city" haven't figured anything out. Here, you imply that it's up to the residents in those neighborhoods to "figure out" how to bring jobs to their communities. It's not. At the very least, it's up to the alderman who's in charge of the ward. Then MAYBE he or she can put a proposal up. But do you really think Rahm Emanuel is taking a collaborative approach to governing? Is he REALLY gonna consider a proposal from an alderman whose constituents are poor? HIGH UNLIKELY. Good luck convincing the COMPANY (the entity that calls the shots here, because it's THEIR money at stake) to relocate to a low-income area.

People in Avondale can afford to commute to well-paying jobs (because I doubt most people in Avondale are commuting miles to work at McDonald's). You must realize that everyone doesn't have the luxuries that you do. And yes, when you are poor, using money from your meager paycheck to commute is most definitely a luxury.

Privilege. Can't stand it.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Is this a joke?
This quote was in response to JacksonPanther's post about white families and closeness.

Do white people have close relationships with extended family? Do you have regular gatherings with extended family (not including holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas)? I am serious and would like feedback from any person willing to give it.

From my perspective, white people are more focused on the nuclear family. I do not see extended family relationships like I do with other cultural groups.

This is not meant to offend. But if it does, well...you have an idea how it feels to be a black person reading racist threads in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago