Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM

528 posts, read 712,261 times

Advertisements

My condo caught me doing Airbnb rental and fined me $4000 for violating the "no unit can be rented for vacation purposes". They did not care that I was renting only 1 of my bedrooms while I slept in the living room. I was shocked at the magnitude of the fine and also the lack of any warning. Is this normal for most high-rise condo associations?? I did speak to a lawyer and he said there is really not much I can do.

I deleted my Airbnb account and lost 30 or so future reservations. While doing Airbnb I earned around $12000. So this was profitable but a lot of work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
well your apartment is not zoned for business.. you were conducting business and so it was against the condo rules. if you are that successful, then why not rent a storefront or something.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
well your apartment is not zoned for business.. you were conducting business and so it was against the condo rules. if you are that successful, then why not rent a storefront or something.
People looking to rent through AirBnB aren't looking to rent some drafty old store front. One of the main selling points of AirBnB is the ability to rent a furnished room, apartment, or condo, and, in the case of renting a room, maybe get some local tips from the resident. Unfortunately, this is becoming an issue for a lot of AirBnB account holders, especially those in NYC, IIRC. It's all rather unfortunate and is just throttling one relatively inexpensive option for vacationing.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Buddy, you got off light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
My condo caught me doing Airbnb rental and fined me $4000 for violating the "no unit can be rented for vacation purposes". They did not care that I was renting only 1 of my bedrooms while I slept in the living room. I was shocked at the magnitude of the fine and also the lack of any warning. Is this normal for most high-rise condo associations?? I did speak to a lawyer and he said there is really not much I can do.

I deleted my Airbnb account and lost 30 or so future reservations. While doing Airbnb I earned around $12000. So this was profitable but a lot of work...
Frankly if your condo board had a little more spine they should have paid their lawyers to make an example of your idioticy! Any time the rules specifically prohibit an action, like renting to "vacationers" and someone fragrantly disregards this the HOA would be well within its right to bring the harshest actions against such violations.

There have been several well publicized situations where such uses have really ended up poorly.

I am sure that once some alderman has a neighbor harmed through some nutty type "rental" that will be end of AirBnB in Chicago...

Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM

528 posts, read 712,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Frankly if your condo board had a little more spine they should have paid their lawyers to make an example of your idioticy! Any time the rules specifically prohibit an action, like renting to "vacationers" and someone fragrantly disregards this the HOA would be well within its right to bring the harshest actions against such violations.
hmm ok Mr. Goody two shoes... My condo also bans wearing of sleeping attire in the hallways. Is this also deserving of a $4000 fine??

Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post

Yes, high-rise condos often have some really persnickety rules. Look at it this way: You made $12,000 and had to pay out $4,000 in fines. So you still netted $8,000 profit. Not bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Now that you've put your gain on the internet, be sure and pay your taxes on it. Uncle Sam will track you down!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yes, high-rise condos often have some really persnickety rules. Look at it this way: You made $12,000 and had to pay out $4,000 in fines. So you still netted $8,000 profit. Not bad.
I have seen many HOAs that are stacked with some of the most letter-of-the-law type hard arsed attorneys that you are ever going to encounter and they take delight in wringing every last drop of blood out any turnips dumb enough to violate any rules.

Personally I would never want to live in such a place but I have sold properties for clients in such "communities" and you can generally tell from a quick review of the "official minutes" when you are walking into a some horror show of pettiness...

Get a single family home in an area with no HOA or stick the straight & narrow, I am sure that the condo supplied a set of the covenants to the OP before closing and if they did not have a buyers agent explain that these were the binding rules they have no one to blame but themself!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Best to get some land too, then. Even in non-HOA areas there are often municipality codes of some kind that address home business or occupancy. However, I do know people in college towns that who open their homes to college parents for the big weekends (and charge), working actually through the college, a visitor's center or a reservation service and no one frowns on that. (I think in those cases, the city is just glad for the offer of extra rooms.)

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
I have a friend who does AirBNB in a walk-up in Edgewater and has been making pretty steady income on it. I thought about doing that in my high-rise condo but am afraid of the consequences in doing so (i.e. operating a business without a license), though I feel like my building security wouldn't even notice (500 units in building).

I kind of raise my brow though at the fact that even though you, the OP/owner is present during the guests stay, your association is still fining you. How are they able to differentiate whether or not they are just "friends" staying with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago