Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem like the women in Chicago do not have a biological clock. IF you find your average girl in her 30's in the suburbs who is not married with kids, they tend to get less judgmental and more paniky about finding a mate. But in the city, girls in their 30's seem to keep their same high standards and seem in no rush to get married and have kids. I just went out with a girl who was 33, and you start having trouble having kids at 35, yet I still sensed no urgency to get into a relationship and still seemed kind of picky. I understand its a city thing, but your ovaries don't care where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:21 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Why does it seem like the women in Chicago do not have a biological clock. IF you find your average girl in her 30's in the suburbs who is not married with kids, they tend to get less judgmental and more paniky about finding a mate. But in the city, girls in their 30's seem to keep their same high standards and seem in no rush to get married and have kids. I just went out with a girl who was 33, and you start having trouble having kids at 35, yet I still sensed no urgency to get into a relationship and still seemed kind of picky. I understand its a city thing, but your ovaries don't care where you live.

This is a very weird post.....

My wife and I got married at 34, started having kids at 37, not problems.

We were both established professionally and financially which makes life a lot easier than feeling like you better get married and pump out kids in your 20's when you have no money.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 AM

905 posts, read 790,579 times
Not everyone wants kids. There are many women in Chicago who are OK without, often they are deeply into their careers but that is certainly not the only reason. Or if they really want a kid if they get close to the age they may have fertility issues they may choose to have a child on their own though artificial insemination or adoption rather than "forcing" a relationship or lowering standards just for the sake of having children. (Not that this doesn't happen as well of course) There are a lot of people here with a lot of different viewpoints and priorities and you simply can't generalize on this issue accurately.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,624 times
I work with some professional white women downtown who don't have kids and never will due to their age. I am not sure that was their original plan but that's what ended up happening. The seduction of a Chicago career, I suppose.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Pretty significant rise in health related issues with attempted child bearing and increased age -- Impaired Fecundity and Fertility Services, Women's Health USA 2012

Some folks that want a certain kind of lifestyle do tend to know more about this than others. Lots of people who love in Chicago do start families in their 20s. There are a range of incomes that correspond to those most likely to intentionally delay child bearing.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM

397 posts, read 602,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
If it were me, I don't think I'd like to date a guy who went to the internet to complain that I was too picky for someone with aging ovaries. Perhaps that was her issue with you, not that she doesn't realize how she should be willing to settle for any guy given that she's in her 30's and unmarried with no children.

Women in their 30's in Chicago are generally better educated and make more money than their male counterparts. That can led to resentment.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
If it were me, I don't think I'd like to date a guy who went to the internet to complain that I was too picky for someone with aging ovaries. Perhaps that was her issue with you, not that she doesn't realize how she should be willing to settle for any guy given that she's in her 30's and unmarried with no children.

Women in their 30's in Chicago are generally better educated and make more money than their male counterparts. That can led to resentment.
Well she is not aware of me posting this on the Internet and she doesn't seem to have any issues with me. Additionally, there is no statistical evidence to support your claim hat women in their 30's in Chicago make more tthan men.

Last edited by jman07; 01-10-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-10-2015, 10:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
It's a city with a lot of options - has big pros and cons for both genders. Chicago also (at least according to a Huff Post article from a few years ago) has the second lowest percentage of married women and third lowest percentage of married men of any US city over 1 million people (Philadelphia has the lowest in both categories)

Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times
You should probably ask your girlfriend about it instead of City Data.

If it's just been a few dates, normal people don't jump in to try to have a baby with someone they just met.

Most people these days cannot really afford to have kids at a young age unless they are on government assistance or have quite a bit of extended family support. Thus people wait until their 30s. By that time people are pretty picky about who they are going to make babies with.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post

I would like to see evidence for this. I am not aware of anyplace in the U.S. where women generally make more money than men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago