Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:18 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

There is this little oddity I've noiced: there is not a single super tall building in the traditional Loop (Lake, Wabash, Van Buren, Wells). the downtown area has four super tall structures (JHC, Trump, Aon, Sears) and none is within the tracks of the Loop elevated. even new buildings that are announced (i.e. Wanda) and announced but cancelled (Spire& old PO development) are outside the Loop.

I can only think of two super tall's that were even planned in the Loop over the last 30 years….the very narrow 7 south dearborn and the also narrow Miglin Beitler Skyneedle.

this may just be a coincidence (no super tall's in the Loop) and have no meaning, but if there is meaning there, why do you think that all these gigantic buildings go up in downtown, but parts of it not the Loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
No available lots.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:08 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There are folks that own parking garages and such "low value" parcels that would sell to a developer only for a VERY high price if they find out that the goal was some "signature" super tall. The other factor is the various restrictions that the city puts on the zoning / land use for supertalls is really hard to pull off in the core of the Loop -- you can argue that there is little value added to the community by having the sort of plazas and such that even Sears (Willis) Tower but that is how the zoning code is written. Even out by Aon or the Hancock the plaza / shopping / dining courts are strike me as largely unneeded. I mean in NYC the Empire State Building has nothing like that and it does seem to suffer...

Maybe the developers will convince the city to rethink the requirements and the various parking garages will be replaced by supertalls.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:29 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are folks that own parking garages and such "low value" parcels that would sell to a developer only for a VERY high price if they find out that the goal was some "signature" super tall. The other factor is the various restrictions that the city puts on the zoning / land use for supertalls is really hard to pull off in the core of the Loop -- you can argue that there is little value added to the community by having the sort of plazas and such that even Sears (Willis) Tower but that is how the zoning code is written. Even out by Aon or the Hancock the plaza / shopping / dining courts are strike me as largely unneeded. I mean in NYC the Empire State Building has nothing like that and it does seem to suffer...

Maybe the developers will convince the city to rethink the requirements and the various parking garages will be replaced by supertalls.
Well The Empire State Building was another era. NYC already required set-backs after a certain level, perhaps then already? But that is what did strike me on my first visit to the building. IT IS NOT ON A MAIN STREET AND IT'S A PRETTY NARROW ONE. YOU CAN'T GET GOOD VIEWS AT GROUND LEVEL BEFORE OTHER BUILDINGS OBSTRUCT THE VIEW. I don't see that as preferred? No frontage to the palace? The World Trade Center old and new DO have a plaza.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
IT IS NOT ON A MAIN STREET AND IT'S A PRETTY NARROW ONE.
So the Empire State Building, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street, two of the most iconic streets on the planet is now "not on a main street".

Maybe if the ESB were built in the Jersey swamps instead of on the highest point of Fifth Ave. and at one of the grandest intersections anywhere, it would be more of a "main street" type of feel?

One learns many "facts" from steeps. Who knew?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Seven South Dearborn was planned to be a 2000+ foot Loop super-tall in 1999, and was to be designed by SOM. But the plan was scrapped, and the new building became the smaller One South Dearborn by DeStefano + Partners. That was the last time I heard plans for a Loop super tall.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So the Empire State Building, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street, two of the most iconic streets on the planet is now "not on a main street".
lol....that's pretty debatable. Broadway around Times Square is much more iconic. Besides the ESB, there's really nothing in that area minus a Macy's on the next block over that is iconic at all (and most people couldn't ID that building as Macy's without the big Macy's sign on the side of the building) unless you want to count random 5 story buildings holding Korean and Irish bars as "iconic" instead of Times Square.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:05 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
It's not just a lack of available lots, but a lack of available large lots.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
lol....that's pretty debatable.
Uh, no it isn't. Only on C-D would people seriously make such absurd claims. "Forget the Eiffel Tower, hon, that's not iconic. Johnny's Beef in Elmwood Park, now THAT is truly globally iconic."
Quote:
Broadway around Times Square is much more iconic.
Total logical reasoning fail. There is only one iconic location on the planet? Big Ben isn't iconic because the Pyramids of Giza are even more iconic?

It may be true that Times Square is even more iconic than Fifth Avenue, but that doesn't mean that Fifth Ave. isn't about the most iconic shopping avenue anywhere on earth.

But your claim is even sillier. The claim was that the ESB, on Fifth Avenue, is "not on a main street". If the most famous retail street on earth is "not a main street", then there are no main streets anywhere? Huh?
Quote:
Besides the ESB, there's really nothing in that area minus a Macy's on the next block over that is iconic at all (and most people couldn't ID that building as Macy's without the big Macy's sign on the side of the building)
Besides the most famous tower in the history of the world, there are no other iconic buildings at that intersection, that is true.

So using your ridiculous logic, there is "nothing in that area" anywhere on earth. The whole planet is "nothing" because the iconic locations on earth are not all arrayed around an intersection. Until the Great Wall and Coliseum are moved across the street from ESB, then the area can't be iconic.
Quote:
unless you want to count random 5 story buildings holding Korean and Irish bars as "iconic" instead of Times Square.
And obviously you have never been to this part of Midtown Manhattan. There are almost no "random five story buildings" in the neighborhood (95%+ of the building stock is midrise/highrise). And there are very few bars in the neighborhood, and certainly no concentration of "Korean (!) and Irish bars."

"Hon, let's check out Fifth Avenue! You know, the street with its collection of world-renowned Korean beer halls in random five floor buildings! I miss Busan's renowned Octoberfest!"

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Quote:

And obviously you have never been to this part of Midtown Manhattan. There are almost no "random five story buildings" in the neighborhood (95%+ of the building stock is midrise/highrise). And there are very few bars in the neighborhood, and certainly no concentration of "Korean (!) and Irish bars."

"Hon, let's check out Fifth Avenue! You know, the street with its collection of world-renowned Korean beer halls in random five floor buildings! I miss Busan's renowned Octoberfest!"
Well, 32nd is Koreatown. I'd guess there's about 15-20 korean bars there. Then Murray Hill starts at 34th and Madison. There are a lot of crappy Irish Bars over there, and 4 story residences. I worked at 2 Park Ave (2 blocks from ESB) for many years, and always got stuck going to a crappy korean or irish bar after work. My memory is foggy, but I think there are 3 Irish bars right across the street from ESB, on 33rd.

Quote:

Besides the most famous tower in the history of the world, there are no other iconic buildings at that intersection, that is true.
This literally made me LOL, soda out the nose. Haha.
The Empire State Building? Big whoop! Sometimes the Chicago homers take it too far. Not as bad as in the Minneapolis forum, though.

Last edited by tjasse; 04-16-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago