Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 33,243 times

Advertisements

I am 29 and will be moving along with my fiancee to Chicago next month. After living in an apartment for a few months, I am contemplating between buying a condo in/near downtown or a townhome in one of the suburbs.

While searching online, I came across a condo I like a lot (for its price) in the Oakland/Kenwood area.

Since I have never lived in Chicago, I know nothing about this area other than being south to 'South Loop', it is very close to my future work place.

I am 29 and will be moving to suburbs when it's time to have kids. For now, I am just looking for a clean and safe area close to work. Is Oakland/Kenwood good in that respect?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
I don't know a lot a about the area, but I would have to say not yet. It's been in the process of redevelopment for several years now, and is better, but still has a long way to go before it can be considred safe. Neighboring Hyde Park is a very nice (and expensive) community, and I still don't feel entirely safe walking around there. They really seem to have more then their share of violent crime, because it is surrounded by some extremely rough neighborhoods, including Oakland/Kenwood to the north and South Shore to the south. South Shore is also starting to improve, but again, it's still got a long way to go. Now, if you can wait a few years, the focus of the Olympics will be south of the loop. I can only imagine what that's going to do for neighborhoods that are slowly gentrifing, often painfully slowly, on the south side, like Oakland/Kenwood, Bronzeville, South Shore and others. It's going to be an incredible thing for the city when, yes I say when, we get the Olympics!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Oakland/Kenwood are still in the urban pioneer stage. They're neighborhoods that have long been down and out and are in the long and slow process of gentrification. If you're willing to be a pioneer, there are lots of good deals to be had, rehab as well as new construction.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,559 times
I just wanted an update on the Kenwood area. I see some beautiful homes there. Are there some sections of Kenwood that are better than others? TIA.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Barack Obama lives in Kenwood in a house he paid 1.6 million bucks for. So I guess some parts of it aren't so bad.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:22 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
It's not a very big neighborhood, so it can't really be divided into sections. Probably, the closer you are to Hyde Park, the better off you'll be. It's still gentrifying. There are blocks of beautiful, restored million dollar and up homes. There are blocks with new $500,000 townhomes. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of blocks with people living in poverty, and the crime that is attendant with that. In addition, Kenwood is near some of the most dangerous parts of the city, so spillover from those areas pushes crime statistics higher than you'd like in Kenwood, and Hyde Park. So, it really just depends on your comfort level.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Kenwood south of 47th street (South Kenwood) has most of the big mansions and has long been patrolled by the University of Chicago police. Obama and Farrakhan live in this area. North of 47th is still in the urban pioneer stage.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Oakland/Kenwood? Bring some money! There are a few condos in Kenwood and some new construction in Oakland. The area is surprisingly diverse ethnically and economically for the south side. Because, like Hyde Park, the described area is subject to realtor's whimsical boundary descriptions, you may wanna constrict your search to Drexel to the lake, 43rd to 51st street. Most of the rapid trans offerings are for residents south of 47th street but on-street parking is available in Oakland and Kenwood. The UC police now patrol Oakland in addition to Hyde Park, Kenwood and Woodlawn. Living in Oakland is not pioneering -- the place is pretty stable. There are some very nice townhomes near 45th east of Drexel. There is also new construction right around 39th and Drexel.

Check to see if your condo listing is for a place less than 800 east. If so, you are probably not in Oakland. The condos on Cottage Grove from 39th to 47th are for people really taking looking at the long run.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Wow, the UC police patrol Oakland now? I read they were patrolling Woodlawn, but didn't know about Oakland. That's quite an expansion of territory. I wonder how many extra cops they had to hire. When I was a student at UC, I occasionally would drive through Oakland to get a feel for the neighborhood. I'll have to go back and take a look again and see how much has changed.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I looked yesterday and there is new construction on Cottage Grove all the way from 47th to past 39th street. The area seems on the move. I particularly like the park at 39th and Drexel. Early in the morning you see the ladies walking laps at that park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago