Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green apple View Post
LOL are you serious? This is a super dubious claim to me. I don't have a dog in this fight but what you're saying sounds totally unrealistic.
Serious. Why would I make this up? If it doesn't happen or has never happened to you it all of a sudden makes it not believable? There is even a whole thread in the Relationships forum where people discuss the very things I talk about. Not unique to Chicago either.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:47 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Upthread shows it most certainly is not an isolated occurrence.

Hey maybe it happens to people who just don't look like Chicagoans maybe.
No. It just means you spoke with someone who is not exactly cultured, well mannered or particular educated. That's all.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Quote:
What? How is American not an ethnicity? English is. Scottish is. Why not American? This is quite ignorant.
None of these examples is an ethnicity. They are nationalities.

If someone tells me they're English, I have no I what they look like. England is full of people who are white, black, Asian, etc. "English" means nothing. As does Scottish, American, Italian, etc.

This guy is Italian.
This guy is American.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

If someone tells me they're English, I have no I what they look like. England is full of people who are white, black, Asian, etc. "English" means nothing. As does Scottish, American, Italian, etc.

This guy is Italian.
This guy is American.
K

Does that change any of what has been discussed?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
K

Does that change any of what has been discussed?
Frankly, your other threads regarding accents/Chicago dialect/etc. are great(!) Why waste the effort on this one? Your are chasing the wrong pony in the race.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

This guy is Italian.
This guy is American.
Correct(!) The worst part is that people equate or mix up the two.

Mr. Balotelli is an Italian national whose parents are of Ghanaian origin.

I don't comment about Tony Soprano in public forums(!)

cheers

Old 04-12-2017, 03:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Correct(!) The worst part is that people equate or mix up the two

That includes most people tho. If someone asked me about my ethnicity, they're not expecting my answer to be 'caucasian'.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That includes most people tho. If someone asked me about my ethnicity, they're not expecting my answer to be 'caucasian'.
While that may be true, that's no reason not to educate people regarding the difference.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:33 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Its definitely true that Chicago, and by extension many other Northern/Eastern cities, have a noticeable stronger "white ethnic" identity amongst native born white people more so than in other parts of the country.

Like others have said, Chicago and other cities including NYC, Boston, Cleveland, Philly, Detroit, etc. experienced mass immigration from a multitude of European nations in the first three decades of the 20th century, whereas in California, their cities at that time, where a bit more remote and did not receive immigrants on the same level, however California cities (SF,LA, SD) experienced their mass immigration from Asia and Latin America in late 20th century (70s-90s), whereas in the mid-20th century Californias mass migration was largely domestic/within the US.

Consequently white people in California are more often assumed to be just "white American" I mean sure there is certainly a huge Jewish and Armenian population, and there are pockets of small Little Italies, and other small enclaves, but the ethnic populations of Asia and Latin America are among the biggest in the nation comparatively.

I do kind of like it, as the white ethnic identity communicates to others that you can't just apply the whole "white privilege" concept across the board, and that maybe a lot of "white ethnics" actually have had experiences that give them a bit of insight into the experiences of racial minorities.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
In Chicago, I get asked a lot about my ethnic background (not anything exotic - just a European mix), and it's invariably from someone with a foreign accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago