Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times

Advertisements

Chicago doesn't really have yuppies maybe 5%
I am in the Bay Area right now and it seems like 95% of people are yuppies BoBo's or potheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,244,079 times
Not me.
Not me at all.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,821,060 times
I'm a yuppie/artist hybrid. Information Technology professional during the day, and fine arts photographer at night. I live more of an artist lifestyle, but still like shiny things.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
hell yea.. i would like to see some yuppies get robbed.. if ever become a yuppie i would still be packing heat.
If you're white and college educated, you're a yuppie in Chicago as far as these idiots are concerned.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you're white and college educated, you're a yuppie in Chicago as far as these idiots are concerned.
throw in the daily run and an occasional meal someplace better than Portillos and you're a turbo yuppie.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I'm a yuppie/artist hybrid. Information Technology professional during the day, and fine arts photographer at night. I live more of an artist lifestyle, but still like shiny things.
So you're a BoBo (Bohemian Bourgeoise).

Soon after moving to Uptown and getting involved in neighborhood politics, I learned that "Yuppie" is code in Chicago for "white person with a college degree who doesn't work in social sevices". "Yuppie" is also used to describe white people who don't have recent immigrants in their family tree. It's largely a class warfare label now, and is used to dehumanize the white middle class residents who are gentrifying large swaths of the city. It doesn't matter if you're a guy who sips wine and dresses in black turtlenecks or a guy who wears a Cubs jersey--you are a yuppie in this idiotic political battleground where people blame others for their problems and refuse to take responsibility for the conditions around them.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 12-01-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,340 times
Quote:
naw; if you like to show off your money(my #1 petpeeve) and you have status similar to the one ajolotl currently has then your a yuppie.

i just think that if your someone who had everything paid by your parents and never had to do any physical labor;went to an ivy league school; spend money on a shiny convertible(example of showing of your money), and have absolutely no mechanical skills, never been in the 'hood' ...

THEN YOUR A YUPPIE

Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
lol yeh that is definitely *not* a yuppie... yuppies are more driving the new bmw, spending lots of times at all the hot clubs or new restaurants. I generally define yuppies of more of the people who never got out of the social scenes of high school and living in excess, getting all the cool new stuff, and up with all the new cool scenes, living in new high rise apt, spending paychecks at whole foods. Liking cultural stuff is just being cultured, not necesarily "yuppie". Yuppie is more living beyond your means ...
I am in academia so at first glance might be mistaken for a yuppie, but there is a difference. esp in chicago, i.e. i dressed nice for work... but didn't do fancy dining, lived in a small apt, didn't have a car, don't really party, don't do drugs, don't do morning lattes at starbucks, dont go to malls, hit up free concerts whenever possible, etc.
I grew up single father in an apartment, mixed neighborhood, in the south... first job at 14, worked ass off through school, etc. so definitely still try to live within my means.
That was one of the things I liked so much about Chicago vs. say (boston, nyc, san fran, l.a.) , had that work hard attitude, modest and oftenly more educated and cultured, vs. elite attitude trust fund stuff.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,239,195 times
Quote:
it won't let me rep you, but i agree.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post

i just think that if your someone who had everything paid by your parents and never had to do any physical labor;went to an ivy league school; spend money on a shiny convertible(example of showing of your money), and have absolutely no mechanical skills, never been in the 'hood' ...
That's not a yuppie. that's a spoiled rich kid. They're entirely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago