Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Right. To me it's like if all the Mariano's became Safeways. A foreign brand coming in taking over a local brand that feels generic, very corporate, and lower caliber. Not that I have anything against Safeway.
I have yet to replicate for my children the glee I felt as a child peering into a Marshall Fields window at the moving colorful Christmas scenes as I sucked on a Frango mint while my dad kept a look-out for pick-pocketers. The most excited my teenage kids have been about a Chicago store window was when the Vineyard Vines storefront opened and they got a glimpse of the new khaki lines...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 12:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
I moved to the Chicago area the year after Macy's bought Marshall Fields, so I have no perspective on the history (other than what I have heard and read), and in fact have difficulty understanding how one develops an emotional attachment to a freaking department store. That being said, I despise that Macy's location just because it sucks so badly. I only went once and will never go back. It's definitely not hard to see how anything that formerly occupied such a grand building must have been far better than what is there now.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
To be fair Macy is not really loved anywhere.
I've never "loved" them (again with the weird emotional attachments to department stores), but I've found other branches of their chain to at least be tolerable, meaning I can go into them, buy something, and leave without wanting to bang my head against a wall. Not so with the store in the former Field's location. That place is such a giant painfully disorganized mess on every level.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM

306 posts, read 365,457 times
Quote:
Right. To me it's like if all the Mariano's became Safeways. A foreign brand coming in taking over a local brand that feels generic, very corporate, and lower caliber. Not that I have anything against Safeway.
Like what happened to Dominick's?

Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Like what happened to Dominick's?
Yeah but Dominick's kind of sucked.

Mariano's is THE place to go to now in Chicago for grocery shopping. Everyone I know loves Mariano's. Most people I feel had the same sentiment of Dominick's as they do with Jewel, that's it's whatever.

I mean if it were announced that all the Jewel's were going to be replaced with another chain, I think most people wouldn't care or event be happy hoping for a better chain. But if all the Mariano's were to be replaced in the city? People would not be happy about it.

I feel the same thing was with Marshall Field's.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
I don't think the Ravenswood Mariano's is any better than a typical suburban Jewel, though it beats the one Jewel I've tried on the north side. I usually go to Trader Joe's, and fill in whatever I can't get there at Whole Foods.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have yet to replicate for my children the glee I felt as a child peering into a Marshall Fields window at the moving colorful Christmas scenes as I sucked on a Frango mint while my dad kept a look-out for pick-pocketers. The most excited my teenage kids have been about a Chicago store window was when the Vineyard Vines storefront opened and they got a glimpse of the new khaki lines...
Yes, MF had a wonderful sense of retailing as theater.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I don't think the Ravenswood Mariano's is any better than a typical suburban Jewel, though it beats the one Jewel I've tried on the north side. I usually go to Trader Joe's, and fill in whatever I can't get there at Whole Foods.
I supposed I haven't been to any suburban Jewel's but the ones in the city are either average or subpar.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Has the OP ever been to Macy's? It's horrible.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Yeah but Dominick's kind of sucked.

Mariano's is THE place to go to now in Chicago for grocery shopping. Everyone I know loves Mariano's. Most people I feel had the same sentiment of Dominick's as they do with Jewel, that's it's whatever.

I mean if it were announced that all the Jewel's were going to be replaced with another chain, I think most people wouldn't care or event be happy hoping for a better chain. But if all the Mariano's were to be replaced in the city? People would not be happy about it.

I feel the same thing was with Marshall Field's.
I've actually noticed some changes with Marianos. They rarely have any samples these days, the produce variety seems to be going downhill, and they're starting to include more discounts tied to those stupid customer loyalty cards. The thrill is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago