Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

Bitey, yes you are right! In a different post, I recall some writers describing their experiences watching Pope John Paul II, being driven down Archer. As a Catholic, I would have been in awe! God bless him!.... Im more accustomed to Archer Avenue as it heads southwest through the areas near Armour Square and Bridgeport. Thats usually as far as I travel down Archer.... Years ago I remember driving further than my norm. I recall more Hispanic flair, and even a van that advertised that it sold Croatian music! Im Mexican and Croatian, so I wonder why I never went back, further down Archer?!? Maybe next time! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 11:48 AM

EllieKay56, what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing! I was just in Pilsen last night. I imagine it must have been quite the era, in your grandparent's time. Wisconsin IS great. And definitely a lot of Poles! But I do love Chicago Have a great Sunday! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-13-2019, 11:55 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Bitey, yes you are right! In a different post, I recall some writers describing their experiences watching Pope John Paul II, being driven down Archer. As a Catholic, I would have been in awe! God bless him!.... Im more accustomed to Archer Avenue as it heads southwest through the areas near Armour Square and Bridgeport. Thats usually as far as I travel down Archer.... Years ago I remember driving further than my norm. I recall more Hispanic flair, and even a van that advertised that it sold Croatian music! Im Mexican and Croatian, so I wonder why I never went back, further down Archer?!? Maybe next time! Master Jay in Milwaukee
If you decide to do this, be advised Archer travels through some very not-nice neighborhoods particularly the section roughly from Pershing Road to 47th Street. Not that anything is likely to happen to you just driving through, but do be aware of what's around you.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Bitey, thank you. READ my post from today, on my experience in Chicago from last night! Actually, I have walked, bicycled, driven through all kinds of areas. I have a lot of street smarts due to my own childhood. Plus Ive worked in social work and been in martial arts for 25 years. I dont get uncomfortable by people. Ive worked in a jail the last 10 years, as well. But I do thank you for bestowing your well wishes to me on my visits to Chicago. I truly appreciate your positive energy! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-15-2019, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 42,074 times
Quote:
Hello. Feel free to throw a shout out to my city, via a shout out to any neighborhood/place/etc. that runs along Milwaukee Avenue, in your great City of Chicago!... Let's keep it fun and positive, and I suspect there'd be no reason for a Mod to close it! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Shout out to Wicker Park and The Wormhole Coffee!

Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My grandparents came from Poland. First stop was Detroit. Then Chicago. They settled in the area today that it is Pilsen. They owned a 2 flat. My grandfather got tired of hearing her complain about the work of having a tenant. Site unseen they bought 40 acres of land near Mosinee Wisconsin. They moved up here with their 3 kids. My grandmothers sister and brother in law also came and bought 40 acres across the road. The 1st winter, my grandfather and his brother in law left the 2 women, (My grandmother was pregnant again) and 3 kids alone in the middle of the woods. The two men wintered in Chicago to make money to start farming. My grandmother did not speak English very well. They stayed in the house all winter and survived. They had cows for milk and chickens. The 4th child was born Feb 29th. When my grandfather came back in the spring my grandmother gave him hell and he farmed the rest of his life.
What a fascinating story!
Thanks for sharing

Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 AM

marissamay, thank you for the shout out. Im not
all that experienced with Wicker Park. Mostly a drive by type of place for me. But a name like Wormhole??? GOT to be good! Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
marissamay, thank you for the shout out. Im not
all that experienced with Wicker Park. Mostly a drive by type of place for me. But a name like Wormhole??? GOT to be good! Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee
It’s a great neighborhood. Wormhole Coffee is the best!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM

marissamay, I once met an online date further west on Milwaukee Avenue, called The Moustache. Do you know that place? You do have some nice indy coffee houses Maybe Ill try Wormhole! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
marissamay, I once met an online date further west on Milwaukee Avenue, called The Moustache. Do you know that place? You do have some nice indy coffee houses Maybe Ill try Wormhole! Master Jay in Milwaukee
The Moustache Cafe is in the Logan Square hood and I really like it there too, but it’s more hipster bar and music. They do have good vegan chili! Wormhole is the best coffee, and you will find all kinds of people and it’s not open as late. It’s the best for a Saturday morning or a rainy Sunday afternoon. A new Wormhole #2 is opening soon next to Margie’s on Milwaukee in Logan Square/Bucktown, and I hear it’s going to have “coffee cocktails” and is going to be Nineties themed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago