Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

Hello. Feel free to throw a shout out to my city, via a shout out to any neighborhood/place/etc. that runs along Milwaukee Avenue, in your great City of Chicago!... Let's keep it fun and positive, and I suspect there'd be no reason for a Mod to close it! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Logan Square- Turbo’s Tacos, Revolution Brewery, Emporium... fun times

Old 09-07-2019, 01:08 AM

noid_1985, thank you for sharing. Yes, Logan Square! Not my typical stomping grounds. But it does remind me of Cafe Moustache, where I had a great start to a first date with a lady I met online dating! And I'm always looking for great taco places. I'll have to try Turbo's. Have a great one! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985, thank you for sharing. Yes, Logan Square! Not my typical stomping grounds. But it does remind me of Cafe Moustache, where I had a great start to a first date with a lady I met online dating! And I'm always looking for great taco places. I'll have to try Turbo's. Have a great one! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Absolutely! Try them out, very reasonably priced and friendly.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Hey, Jay, is Gurnee considered to be a neighborhood? That might make the perfect neighborhood for Milwaukee Ave. since Gurnee Mills and Great America are there, where they are, for both Milwaukee and Chicago.

And on more ting on mills: you know there really never was a mill at Golf Mill, don't you. Then again, there never was a Millwaukee in Wisconsin.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Ed, Gurnee is the greatest connecting neighborhood for Milwaukee and Chicago!!! In fact, there are other great spots to dine on Milwaukee Avenue from Niles to Gurnee! I've taken highways 41 and 45, Milwaukee Avenue ( highway 21), Waukegan Avenue ( highway 43) among my trips to break the monotony...Ed, I believe Alice Cooper would agree with your interpretation of, The Good Land!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 PM

885 posts, read 625,518 times
Master Jay: Check out 2 places on Milwaukee Ave. in Niles. They are Oak Mill Bakery and Jerry's Fruit and Garden.

These stores are located diagonally across from each other at the intersection of Milwaukee Ave. and Oakton St.

Oak Mill is a family owned bakery which originally catered to the Polish community, but has now expanded its selections to appeal to a broad customer base.

Jerry's is also a family run operation. It focuses on selling produce, but has segued into a neighborhood grocer. Its offerings cater to the many ethnic groups which populate Niles and the surrounding suburbs.

Both stores are a testament to the work ethic of immigrants and the assimilation of their children and grandchildren into the American mainstream.

Plus, the foods are a treat for both taste and sight.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Nearwest, thank you for the recommendations! I must have passed these places a hundred times. I enjoy ethnic delis! Thank you for sharing. I'm honored my hometown has a name in your city. Enjoy this beautiful day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 PM

I am also a fan of La Scarola and Richard's Bar on Milwaukee and Grand, when I need an old school Italian vibe!

Old 09-07-2019, 02:45 PM

885 posts, read 625,518 times
Master Jay: Thanks for the reply and the compliments.

If you want to stray off Milwaukee Ave. when you're at Grand Ave., I suggest that you travel one-half mile west on Grand Ave. to the intersection of Grand. Ave. and Racine Ave. You will find 3 mainstays of the Italian community on the Near Northwest Side. They are Salerno's Restaurant, Bari Foods, and D'Amato's Bakery. All of them have been serving delicious Italian foods for decades.

Salerno's was a favorite of my parents (Italian Americans). They knew the Salerno family. Bari is an Italian grocery and deli, which has a butcher counter and a deli counter, where made-to-order Italian subs are created. And, IMO, D'Amato's Bakery has the best Italian bread in Chicago. I love the crust. It's not too heavy nor too light.

This strip was the nucleus of the Italian community in that area. Many of the Italians came from Bari, which is located on the Adriatic Sea, across from Croatia.

Buon Appetito!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago