Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamay View Post
The Roseland neighborhood sees a lot of crime just like other “south side” areas of Chicago. Poverty, gangs, gun violence, boarded up homes, and much of what is on the local news pertains to those areas. The incident that was on the news I remember was a burst of gun violence across a few neighborhoods that ended in Roseland where the total body count was near 40. Roseland may not be the worst, but it’s mentioned on the news often for armed robberies and other violent crime. A friend of mine is a cop, and if you think the south side of Chicago is safe, he has some stories for you.

Most don’t have a reason to go to the south side, and they just avoid it if they can.
What? Absolutely not. I mean the south side and Roseland have a lot of crime, but it's had about half that number of murders over the past 10 months. There's never ever been a situation in Chicago where 40 people were killed let alone shot in one incident. So far this year there was once instance where four people died in one incident, which was the man on the northwest side who went to his neighbors house and shot them all, people he had been having conflict with previously.

As for me, I've been all around the city over the past two decades and can't think of more than one or two times I actually felt UNSAFE, and those were when I was walking around at 3am drunk in areas and there were groups of strange guys hanging around.

During the day I never feel unsafe, now I might be more aware of my surroundings and make sure I know what's going on and how I'm acting, but I don't feel afraid, I haven't had a reason to.

Even wandering around the west side might not be happy and chipper, but 95% of people at any given moment are just going about their business, they're not looking to just jump strangers all the time, anyone who happens to be walking down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
dtcbnd03, in a way, I agree. Theres been a ton of great advice offered on similar posts: if you go ANYwhere, be polite yet confident. Dont walk alone when it's dark. Dont wear earbuds or have a phone attached to the ear, etc. Follow these basis rules and one can be safe ANYWHERE.. that said, HOW MANY " what neighborhood should I live" posts can you stand? Theres ALMOST an answer to that with 2 or 3 examples. But these questions keeeeeep coming! Master Jay in Milwaukee
As someone new to the city as a single female who knows noone I just ask these questions. I would also need to walk around with earbuds to use GPS at first.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Va83, how recent are you to Chicago? Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Va83, how recent are you to Chicago? Master Jay in Milwaukee
I should have said will be new. When me and my kid were in Manhattan last year I used my phone for GPS to figure out the subways and order uber's and almost everything else I needed. Is there another way to do it? Minus breaking out an actual folding map...

Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Va83, forgive me but allow me to clarify. I'm not saying one can NOT be on the phone to use for assistance, ear buds, etc. My advice is to limit it. Also, if you're looking for directions on GPS, perhaps try to do it inside a store or restaurant OR in as large a group as possible....And if you ask someone for directions, perhaps DO NOT tap them on the shoulder! (See the: Master Jay had a Red Line experience... post I added a couple of weeks ago)... ... Are you and son moving to Chicago, or coming to visit? Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Va83, forgive me but allow me to clarify. I'm not saying one can NOT be on the phone to use for assistance, ear buds, etc. My advice is to limit it. Also, if you're looking for directions on GPS, perhaps try to do it inside a store or restaurant OR in as large a group as possible....And if you ask someone for directions, perhaps DO NOT tap them on the shoulder! (See the: Master Jay had a Red Line experience... post I added a couple of weeks ago)... ... Are you and son moving to Chicago, or coming to visit? Master Jay in Milwaukee
Great tips! Thanks! We will be visiting soon. I'm going over to read your red line post now.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:47 PM

Va83, if you like, send me a direct message. As you can see, I'm not a resident, yet a consistent visitor. You will love Chicago! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 PM

92 posts, read 42,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What? Absolutely not. I mean the south side and Roseland have a lot of crime, but it's had about half that number of murders over the past 10 months. There's never ever been a situation in Chicago where 40 people were killed let alone shot in one incident. So far this year there was once instance where four people died in one incident, which was the man on the northwest side who went to his neighbors house and shot them all, people he had been having conflict with previously.

As for me, I've been all around the city over the past two decades and can't think of more than one or two times I actually felt UNSAFE, and those were when I was walking around at 3am drunk in areas and there were groups of strange guys hanging around.

During the day I never feel unsafe, now I might be more aware of my surroundings and make sure I know what's going on and how I'm acting, but I don't feel afraid, I haven't had a reason to.

Even wandering around the west side might not be happy and chipper, but 95% of people at any given moment are just going about their business, they're not looking to just jump strangers all the time, anyone who happens to be walking down the street.
I feel very safe in the loop and in my neighborhood, but Roseland and the South Side is not my hood. There is constant crime and shootings in that area on the local news.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:17 AM

marissamay, good to hear you feel safe in your neighborhood (given you might spend a good chunk of your time there!). I am curious, when you say the South Side are you referring to ALL territory SOUTH of Madison Street?.. I have been to many areas south of Madison Street that have been completely safe; whether it was just me, or me and a date, or me and my young children... Hope you are having a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
We need to collectively stop responding to OP like these. It's a dumb question and there's a sticky thread at the top addressing this.
The exact reason I learned to ignore and refuse to respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago