Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z68359 View Post
Do people feel safe in the city and the surrounding areas? it's always in the news shots, shootings and murders.
Yes, I'm fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z68359 View Post
Do people feel safe in the city and the surrounding areas? it's always in the news shots, shootings and murders.
Absolutely. Now more than ever. I used to go to Bulls games in the West Loop when I was much younger, and felt unsafe there at times. There are now million dollar condos in that neighborhood. The two towns that I have felt unsafe in are Cleveland and Detroit, even though I am tall and in shape and not an easy target.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I dont feel unsafe driving by, running errands, and so on in the bad neighborhoods. Especially during the day. I work in North Lawndale, so I am down those neighborhoods 5 days a week on average. But the key thing is...I dont live there. I bet if I did live there I would see and hear more trouble than I would want to.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Absolutely. Now more than ever. I used to go to Bulls games in the West Loop when I was much younger, and felt unsafe there at times. There are now million dollar condos in that neighborhood. The two towns that I have felt unsafe in are Cleveland and Detroit, even though I am tall and in shape and not an easy target.
I feel more unsafe in Cleveland than I ever did in Chicago... although I feel less unsafe in today's Cleveland than I did in the Cleveland of the 1980s.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
We need to collectively stop responding to OP like these. It's a dumb question and there's a sticky thread at the top addressing this.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:32 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dtcbnd03, in a way, I agree. Theres been a ton of great advice offered on similar posts: if you go ANYwhere, be polite yet confident. Dont walk alone when it's dark. Dont wear earbuds or have a phone attached to the ear, etc. Follow these basis rules and one can be safe ANYWHERE.. that said, HOW MANY " what neighborhood should I live" posts can you stand? Theres ALMOST an answer to that with 2 or 3 examples. But these questions keeeeeep coming! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-19-2019, 04:53 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
I feel safe in most of the parts of the city that have things which attract people to visit from outside of the neighborhood. There are a few such places where I maintain a heightened sense of awareness while there - I guess you could describe that as feeling less safe.

The parts of the city that don't have things that attract outsiders and suffer from a visible lack of investment can make me nervous, as can areas that have a visibly high rate of unemployment.

For the most part, though, I feel mostly safe in the parts of the city I travel in and to. I have seen a shooting up close in Uptown (I was literally across the street from it), which is considered marginal by many people. I have a friend's who was forcibly raped by a stranger in Lincoln Park, which is generally considered safe by most people. I share those just to show that I don't have blinders on about the city and crime.

I've also ridden my bike all over the city, as far north as through and past Evanston, as far South as Indiana, as far West via Lake Street, Fullerton Avenue, Jackson Street, and Roosevelt Road, as Berwyn and Oak Park, as far northwest as Harlem and Irving Park Rd, and as far southwest as Gage Park. I've visited friends in Chatham and Canaryville and Humboldt Park and South Lawndale and Douglas Park, attended birthday parties in Austin, spent time volunteering with a halfway house in Englewood, and been to shop for private sale cars with a friend in Auburn Gresham and Roseland. I've seen movies in Ford City, and I've walked around on foot in Garfield Park day and night.

It's a big city, and there is a lot going on. Parts are safe, other parts aren't. Some parts I would recommend be avoided by people not experienced with large, American cities, others I'd be comfortable recommending to even the most sheltered people.

Overall, though, when people ask, "Do you feel safe in Chicago," I say yes. There are parts of Paris I've felt less safe in than Chicago, and certainly parts of Madrid and Panama City and cities in Mexico.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:44 PM

emathias, VERY WELL written, Sir! Thank you for sharing! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-21-2019, 03:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Why don’t I live in my home town ?
Am I allowed to post open and honest answers on this forum ?
Let me know when that is ok
For what it is worth Chicago is beautiful just beautiful right about now
Why not be honest? Polite, but honest regarding why you don’t live here.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Huckleberry, of course you're in ownership of your feelings and opinions. Go ahead and be honest and share away!!! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago