Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamay View Post
I feel very safe in the loop and in my neighborhood, but Roseland and the South Side is not my hood. There is constant crime and shootings in that area on the local news.
at nauseam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 12:46 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
noid_1985, and WHO said Latin was a dead language ("at nauseam")?!? In the famous words of Dr. Hannibal Lector: Quid Pro Quo, Mr. Noid!... When I think of south side areas, Ive walked around Armour Square, Canaryville, Bridgeport, Pilsen and South Lawndale. These areas fall on different levels of safety concerns. I have 3 children and I have walked through all those listed (except Canaryville; that was just on a day I wanted to explore an unknown area). As a Milwaukeean, I seldom want to keep driving any further that 35th Street. And it has nothing to do with a bad reputation. Understand, by that point I've already been driving for a while!! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-25-2019, 11:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Exactly. Unless you are in a gang, you shouldn't have trouble much of anywhere in Chicago. This is Chicago, Illinois, not Sao Paulo, Brazil or Johannesburg, South Africa.
*Unless you are in a gang or non-white*

Like Vlajos I’ve never really felt unsafe anywhere, but I also get the benefit of being white, where I know other gang members (or cops) aren’t likely to hassle me for being in a different neighborhood. That’s not the experience for everyone.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:47 PM

jdiddy, an interesting choice of words: getting "the benefit of being white"... I am Latino, and have walked through neighborhoods that unfortunately have various warring factions of Latino gangs. I've never once felt uneasy, nor bothered by anyone. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
jdiddy, an interesting choice of words: getting "the benefit of being white"... I am Latino, and have walked through neighborhoods that unfortunately have various warring factions of Latino gangs. I've never once felt uneasy, nor bothered by anyone. Master Jay in Milwaukee
not everyone has your self defense skills and experience, hence the uneasy feeling many folks have when walking through some of the more sketchy areas, (and there are plenty of them) in Chicagoland..

Old 10-25-2019, 05:16 PM

wase4711, I apologize if I came across as insensitive. I do understand that people are at different levels of training and confidence, or street smarts. Points I was hoping to make was: be aware of your surroundings at all times, and to not allow fear to control you.... now, I am not denying that certain areas have statistics that suggest higher levels of incidents, unfortunately. But also, do not let that stop you from going there, necessarily. Or to feel an entire area, or its residents are ALL bad! Thank you again, wase4711, for sharing. I'm wishing everyone a good start to your weekend. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
*Unless you are in a gang or non-white*

Like Vlajos I’ve never really felt unsafe anywhere, but I also get the benefit of being white, where I know other gang members (or cops) aren’t likely to hassle me for being in a different neighborhood. That’s not the experience for everyone.
I'd say you have a better chance of being attacked by drunken bro's in Wrigleyville on a Friday night than most other places.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:39 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
Criminals do have a lot of carte blanche, and enablers, perhaps more than other cities. It's a tense city often, no matter the neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z68359 View Post
Do people feel safe in the city and the surrounding areas? it's always in the news shots, shootings and murders.
Yes, for the most part. I'm a native Chicagoan that grew up on the South Side, and have been residing on the North side for a while now. My behavior does not change regardless of where I live or am. I lived in the Gold Coast for 12 years and I was just as vigilant about my safety, as when I lived on the South Side.

Yes, there are neighborhoods that have more gangs and gun violence, but crime and criminal activity can pop off anywhere. No I don't want to be shot, but I don't want to be robbed, raped, murdered, etc, so I'm going to take the necessary precautions to try and avoid that. Too many people come to this city, this BIG city and think if they can live in the "right" neighborhood then they will be safe. Then they proceed to run up to the corner store and leave the front door to their apartment building unlocked, have their heads glued to their cellphones at all times and everywhere, leave expensive items in their car that's parked on the street, and the list goes on and on and on.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I'd say you have a better chance of being attacked by drunken bro's in Wrigleyville on a Friday night than most other places.
I'm in my mid 30's and way too old to be around this nonsense but a little over a week ago I saw a pretty brutal fight taking place between some dudes in their 20's (mixed crew of White [maybe of the Eastern Euro variety that likes to go out clubbing heavy in Chicago], and possibly Arab & maybe Latino dudes) in a River North parking garage. I coulda sworn from a distance I saw one of the white broskis flash a gun at the other crew. These guys were enraged, screaming at each other, beating each other down, punching, screaming, kicking. For what? God knows why. Should point out that it was close to 3 AM on a Sunday (aka the later hours of Saturday night nightlife).

Extremely likely that none of them actually reside in River North (I don't either although I have relatives that do), but are just bridge & tunnelers from the burbs or outer neighborhoods of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago