Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the National Guard be called in?
Yes, it's a no brainer 62 68.89%
No, explain why please 28 31.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:54 AM

606 posts, read 354,851 times

Advertisements

I said no. What is the National Guard going to do that the police can’t do? The violence is due to social and economic reasons, which the National Guard can’t address.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
I also said no, similar reason as the others who explained.

I don't have a problem with more police in the higher crime neighborhoods. I'm not sure if different strategies are needed, but I think a combination of additional police and stronger programs to fix the socioeconomic situation would help.

I've seen police pull people over in Lakeview for turning left during restricted left turn hours. Yes, while a road safety issue, is likely not the best use of police resources when there are bigger priorities in the city.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:10 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
No, this is a very slippery slope that we don't want to go down!

Old 06-30-2020, 11:50 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
What good would the NG do ? They don't have the power to arrest, their weapons aren't loaded, and they have no training in crowd control. The answer is to let the police do what's necessary to control a mob by whatever means it takes. Looters should be arrested with no bond. But the first thing that should be done is to throw Larry Lightfoot out of office. Unfortuneatly, nothing will be done as long as the dems own Chicago.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:06 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
I'm outnumbered on this one. And that is ok, because you are all fine contributors to these posts, and I respect your opinions.

Perhaps my thinking is happening as a result to how heavy my heart is going out to these poor defenseless children that are being victimized.

It is evident that enough people in the community, despite having lost family of their own, have no empathy to stop the violence so no more people have to suffer a similar blow to their spirit!

(Did you hear the story of when I was 19 and almost killed in a gang fight? I called off the hit to have revenge taken out on my attacker, because I was happy enough that I did NOT die, and didn't want to think of anything violent happening). There are many other young men that need to learn that it is empowering to have the choice to STOP violence. But this needs to be taught. And that is why I always suggest martial arts/sports mentoring programs.

Again, my heart is with the children who suffer because a value system has been lost, and MUST be reinserted to these areas.

As far as the police goes. Bless their souls, too, Because everyday must be a battle for them. The things they see, hear, and are subjected to. All on top of risking their lives.

I am SO rooting for you all, Chicago!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:07 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
I'm outnumbered on this one. And that is ok, because you are all fine contributors to these posts, and I respect your opinions.

Perhaps my thinking is happening as a result to how heavy my heart is going out to these poor defenseless children that are being victimized.

It is evident that enough people in the community, despite having lost family of their own, have no empathy to stop the violence so no more people have to suffer a similar blow to their spirit!

(Did you hear the story of when I was 19 and almost killed in a gang fight? I called off the hit to have revenge taken out on my attacker, because I was happy enough that I did NOT die, and didn't want to think of anything violent happening). There are many other young men that need to learn that it is empowering to have the choice to STOP violence. But this needs to be taught. And that is why I always suggest martial arts/sports mentoring programs.

Again, my heart is with the children who suffer because a value system has been lost, and MUST be reinserted to these areas.

As far as the police goes. Bless their souls, too, Because everyday must be a battle for them. The things they see, hear, and are subjected to. All on top of risking their lives.

I am SO rooting for you all, Chicago!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
No, this is a very slippery slope that we don't want to go down!
And were do you see it going?

Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
I said no. What is the National Guard going to do that the police can’t do? The violence is due to social and economic reasons, which the National Guard can’t address.
Frankly, lack of policing and police impotence plays a more important factor than many are willing to admit. Many people in the United States, especially on the left, seem to ignore the fact that there are many countries on Earth with much more poverty and social stratification than us that do not have an urban violence problem on our magnitude. Fear of and respect for the law clearly play a big part in the incidence of violent crime.

Note: I have not voted in this poll because I think that the question is above my paygrade.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
If I'm not mistaken, the courts are still closed and there's nowhere for them to go. Locking people up en masse indefinitely with no process during a pandemic could well start a riot on its own.

Everyone wants to talk about voting people out of office, but nobody really has any ideas on what to do here.

Somebody will follow with some sort of 80s-era "tough on crime" speech about locking people up, but that's exactly how we got to this point. It didn't work when Chicago's murder count was in the 900s a year in the early 90s, and it's not going to work any better a second time.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
The violence in the city stems from a systemic economic and social issue that will take years to rebuild. Chicago is already one of the more overpoliced cities in the country. More policing has proven not to help. Oftentimes the safest communities do not have the most policing, but they usually do have the most resources. Englewood is crawling with law enforcement activity. Meanwhile, a town like Northbrook is extremely safe, yet there isn't a bevy of squad cars and police officers running the beat.

There can be a place for law enforcement. However, it was decades of economic strife, inequality, and oppression that has lead us to where we are today. We solve our violence problem by addressing income inequality, quality of education, affordable housing, amongst other things that will better our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago