Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree that class has a lot to do with it, although if you look at the amounts of violent crime in Chicago. Many Hispanic neighborhoods are of the same class/income as neighborhoods in the South Side; yet the Hispanic neighborhoods (while not what anyone would consider "safe") have way less crime than those on the South Side.

All that to say, that it's not as easy to just boil it all down to "class." A lot of it has to do with family structure and culture. Even during the looting going on a couple of weeks ago; Latin Kings made national news of how they were preventing looting and crime in their neighborhood. Now they are not saints by any means (many are cold hard criminals); but the fact is that these Hispanic neighborhoods have a lot less violent crimes than many others in the South Side, yet many of the residents would be considered of the same "class" (income level) as those in the South Side.

It goes beyond Class. There is a generational, culture component to it. And I don't mean culture strictly related to race, but more in mentality.
Aside from gangs and poverty resemblance in poor hispanic and poor black neighborhoods, the two are different entities, almost worlds apart. For every one black owned business that is not a barbershop or hair salon that are sparsely found in the hood, there are about ten hispanic owned restaurants, catering banks, grocery stores on the same block or next block in hispanic hoods. Just look at the differences between South Lawndale(Mexican) and North Lawndale( or any predominately black neighborhood out west). Just one of those gross the second highest revenue in the city, despite poverty rates being 30-35%. The hispanic gang banger or criminal who may want to quit the lifestyle someday at least have a security net in his neighborhood. I remember watching a gang documentary, and in this episode a gang member in Pilsen said everyone in his gang all had ordinary day jobs. The black counterpart do not have the same circumstances in a lot of cases.

There is the family structure. Hispanics are more likely to come from two parent households, even when poor. This factor, along with the way hispanic neighborhoods( even the poor gang infested ones) are set up as far as businesses are concerned, plays a significant role as to why their homicide rate is much lower at about 9/100k compared to the black murder rate at 43/100k currently in Chicago.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Aside from gangs and poverty resemblance in poor hispanic and poor black neighborhoods, the two are different entities, almost worlds apart. For every one black owned business that is not a barbershop or hair salon that are sparsely found in the hood, there are about ten hispanic owned restaurants, catering banks, grocery stores on the same block or next block in hispanic hoods. Just look at the differences between South Lawndale(Mexican) and North Lawndale( or any predominately black neighborhood out west). Just one of those gross the second highest revenue in the city, despite poverty rates being 30-35%. The hispanic gang banger or criminal who may want to quit the lifestyle someday at least have a security net in his neighborhood. I remember watching a gang documentary, and in this episode a gang member in Pilsen said everyone in his gang all had ordinary day jobs. The black counterpart do not have the same circumstances in a lot of cases.

There is the family structure. Hispanics are more likely to come from two parent households, even when poor. This factor, along with the way hispanic neighborhoods( even the poor gang infested ones) are set up as far as businesses are concerned, plays a significant role as to why their homicide rate is much lower at about 9/100k compared to the black murder rate at 43/100k currently in Chicago.
Perfect post This is great information and you articulated with specific details, what I was trying to get at!

So it seems that beyond just class/poverty level, there are certain neighborhood and family structural elements that influence violence crime.

Additionally, I don't know anything about the Chicago Latin Kings, but based on the national publicity they got for the way they handled the looting; it seems like while they are are still gang members and criminals, the crime in these neighborhoods is more "organized" and even as criminals there seems to be a level of "respect." I'm completely speculating, but I'm guessing you have less innocent bystanders falling victim to violent crime in these neighborhoods, as compared to others. Which is why the crime numbers are much lower than neighborhoods on the South Side.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
According to many New Yorkers I have talked with they said things changed when they got real leaders in city hall such as the ones you mentioned. So that is what it seems it would take. And sadly that will not happen in Chicago.
There is a lot of dispute about what actually caused the decline in crime.

The police measure that most consistently reduces crime is the arrest rate of those involved in crime, the study finds. Felony arrest rates (except for motor vehicle thefts) rose 50 to 70 percent in the 1990s. When arrests of burglars increased 10 percent, the number of burglaries fell 2.7 to 3.2 percent. When the arrest rate of robbers rose 10 percent, the number of robberies fell 5.7 to 5.9 percent. In the case of murder, the decline was 3.9 to 4 percent; in the case of assault, 2 to 2.4 percent; and for motor vehicle theft, 5 to 5.1 percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/u...il&login=email

What is happening now?

Quote:
More than 300 people were murdered in 2019, an increase of nearly 8 percent compared with 2018, and the highest number in three years, according to police statistics.
Quote:
There were 318 murders through Dec. 29 — 23 more than last year. The last time the city saw that many killings was in 2016, when there were 333 killings. (The police said the final year-end totals for reported major crimes will be released later this month.)

But that modest rise in murders across the city — about 7.8 percent — obscures the fact that some areas saw much sharper increases in killings. Northern Manhattan, for instance, rose to 39 deaths, from 22, and Southern Manhattan rose to 12, from 8, as of Dec. 29. Killings in north Brooklyn also rose dramatically to 65, from 57. And southern Queens saw a spike as well — to 44 murders, up from 39 during the same period.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:39 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
No they don't, NYC Black population is almost the same as Chicago, same goes for Houston and Dallas. The segregation, especially economic segregation in NYC is nothing compared to Chicago. You literally have people living on less thank 24K in government assistance living in the same building as Wall Street investment bankers due to rent control. Not justifying rent control, just stating a fact. Chicago is probably the most segregated city in America.
New York has over 2.5 million black people living in the city proper. The murder rate is less than a third of Chicago's.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:47 PM

58 posts, read 38,608 times
It's so safe that I'm trying to move as far away as possible. I live in a nice neighborhood, Lincoln Park, about 3 miles north of downtown. I'm right by Lake Michigan. There has been a lot more muggings in my area and during the first weekend of the riots, I heard gun shots for the very first time. The current mayor doesn't care about the crime. She only cares about her safety. She puts police offices in harms way and she puts residents at risk because of her anti-police rhetoric where they feel like they don't care anymore. At the same time, she has the whole district (70 police officers) protecting the street she lives on so she can sleep peacefully. Now, we can't say that about the kids getting gunned downed every weekend. The criminals no longer fear the police. It's only going to get worse. Stay away from any democrat run cities- sooner or later they all turn into crime ridden **** holes. Chicago is my home- I've lived here my whole life, I'm ready to leave. I'm done.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:50 PM

While she has the whole district protecting her block so she can sleep peacefully. I can't stand that creepy looking mayor. Who the hell voted for her?? I swear, Chicagoans are dumb. Smh.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM

Because business travelers aren't traveling. Hotels have lowered their prices to get people in and as a result they attracted thugs.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
It's so safe that I'm trying to move as far away as possible. I live in a nice neighborhood, Lincoln Park, about 3 miles north of downtown. I'm right by Lake Michigan. There has been a lot more muggings in my area and during the first weekend of the riots, I heard gun shots for the very first time. The current mayor doesn't care about the crime. She only cares about her safety. She puts police offices in harms way and she puts residents at risk because of her anti-police rhetoric where they feel like they don't care anymore. At the same time, she has the whole district (70 police officers) protecting the street she lives on so she can sleep peacefully. Now, we can't say that about the kids getting gunned downed every weekend. The criminals no longer fear the police. It's only going to get worse. Stay away from any democrat run cities- sooner or later they all turn into crime ridden **** holes. Chicago is my home- I've lived here my whole life, I'm ready to leave. I'm done.
I live in Lincoln Park too. Over the years, I have seen more shady characters, although I live close to the Lakeview border (Diversey). Overall, I still love LP and am not looking to leave. I was cautious about going out after the riots, but have not heard much about increased muggings.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:59 PM

No republican will win here. We have vote for a conservative democrat. I'm ready to bring back the Daley family mafia to run the city.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:07 PM

Daley tried integration, it doesn't work. Just because something sounds like it's a good idea, it doesn't mean that it will work. If you live in a nice neighborhood and have small kids that are safe playing outside, will they still be safe if a some families from the projects show up that have a gang culture? How about if they hate white people (not uncommon now)? Imagine if a family of thugs will be moved in to your very safe neighborhood. Are you going to pretend that all is the same? Will you continue to let your kids play outside just so you don't appear like you're a racist? Will you go against your protective instinct and put your kids at risk? You cannot legislate prosperity. After Cabrini Green was torn down and its residents were protesting- Daley decided to designate some of the very expensive townhomes (that people paid for) as section 8 and put some of Cabrini families there- not too long the crime returned and those townhomes were destroyed. You cannot force people to change their behavior. You cannot force a criminal to become a law abiding citizen- they have to want to change it themselves. You cannot force an alcoholic to stop drinking. The best thing to do is segregation: civilized segregated from uncivilized, law abiding from criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago