Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
If it’s all about poverty, then why do the Black neighborhoods in Chicago have so much worse violent crime than the Hispanic neighborhoods when they both have similar poverty? One classic example is Lawndale. Same neighborhood, same poverty level. Yet North Lawndale (90% Black) is significantly more dangerous than South Lawndale (90% Latino). So it can’t be solely a poverty problem.
Here is an interesting analysis of Chicago's murder problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...r-problem.html

Quote:
The homicide rate in Chicago is just a little higher than in New York when guns aren’t involved. But when it comes to shootings, both fatal and not, Chicago stands out, suggesting a level of armed interaction that isn’t happening in New York.
Quote:
Chicago has a reputation for strict gun laws, and gun rights advocates often point to it as proof that gun regulation doesn’t reduce violence. But its laws aren’t what they used to be: Federal courts struck down its ban on handgun ownership in 2010, and its ban on gun sales in 2014. And a New York Times analysis showed guns were easily available from nearby jurisdictions, especially Indiana.

And Chicago is more lenient about illegal handguns than New York, prescribing a one-year minimum for possession versus three and a half years in New York. An attempt to match the New York law in 2013 was rejected by the Illinois legislature out of concern for skyrocketing incarceration rates for young black men.
Quote:
Gangs figure in many homicides in New York as well, but recent polls by The New York Times suggest that the gang problem may be worse in Chicago.
Quote:
segregation in New York is nothing like in Chicago: The perfectly isolated neighborhood – where every man, woman and child is the same race – is rare in New York. Less than one percent of the population lives in such areas, and most of them are white. In Chicago, 12 percent of the black population is in a census block group that is 100 percent black.

Racially segregated minority neighborhoods have a long history of multiple adversities, such as poverty, joblessness, environmental toxins and inadequate housing, Professor Sampson said. In these places, people tend to be more cynical about the law and distrust police, “heightening the risk that conflictual encounters will erupt in violence.”

“The major underlying causes of crime are similar across cities, but the intensity of the connection between social ills and violence seems to be more persistent in Chicago,” Professor Sampson said. “You don’t get that kind of extensive social and economic segregation in many other cities.”
There is a lot more analysis in the article.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:54 PM

334 posts, read 170,732 times
Quote:
And the short-term fallout could be very bad if the officers are not convicted on serious charges. Chicago and all other major US cities may no longer be standing.
That’s why I included the initial fallout...and a very big yes to your last sentence. It will make the past 2 months look like child’s play and Chicago will be toast.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
It's funny to hear you people praise Latinos like they are some sort of angels. Last time I checked they had the most violent cities in the world with the highest murder rates.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:26 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
ChicagoSouthSider, but not THIS Latino!
And I am a proponent for more boxing and martial arts classes in the Latino (and any other group) communities. And I know that YOU know that despite being "fighting arts", the true benefits of the classes are: leadership, team work, control, discipline and respect.

ALL the things that would stop this horrible cycle of violent gang behaviors.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
How misinformed you are.

It is not a "culture" problem.
It is a poverty problem that may, sometimes, lead to an inner city "culture".
Maybe the white privileged race in this county should have thought this out further, that there would be repercussions from slavery until now, killing someone by kneeling on their neck. Yes, Tom Sawyer, there are consequences for your actions.

Indians on reservations.
Latino immigrants in NM or AZ or Chicago, or take your pick of city.
White kids in Appalachia too! Dealing drugs, overdosing and dying, underage pregnancies, abortions, B&E, grand theft, petty theft, you name it.
Has nothing to do with a "culture". Has everything to do with generational poverty, lack of resources, lack of education, and sometimes systemic racism keeping some people down. As for white Appalachia where there is no racism? Lack of education, lack of resources, generational poverty.
This stuff is not rocket science.
It's just that whites have historically kept other races (and whatever the latest immigrants are--going back to Italians and Irish and everyone else who had their turn that wasn't English revolutionists) down in the poverty jobs, subservient, often making just enough to pay the rent to the same landlord that was also their boss, sometimes coming out in the negative, owing their boss after paying rent.
There is so much to learn out there on the history of using and abusing people in this country in order to financially gain from their hard labor.
Not rocket science.
Not culture of BLM.
No doubt poverty leads to crime. But with black people it's on a whole nother level due to culture.

Let's take the music industry. Can you name any other race besides black where the top performers not only glorify violence but have been shot or killed? Trap music always makes a machine gun sound in every song. Megan Thee Stallion is on the top of charts and was just shot in her feet. Nipsey Hussle was murdered on video with intent by another gang member. The Black community praised him for turning his life around and investing in the community yet his top song "Racks in the Middle" says in the chorus "I got killers to the left of me"...so he continues to glorify the life he left. At the Grammys they should announce "All those who have been shot or arrested with a gun charge stand up!"....I'll take bets on which race has the most standing.

Meanwhile Asian immigrants arrive very poor but have great culture with strong family structures, continuing education, hard work ethic and have created vibrant communities like Chinatown or Koreatown. I rarely see Asians shooting each other or responsible for any of the violence in Chicago.

Bottom line - Black culture needs to change.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:50 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
If it’s all about poverty, then why do the Black neighborhoods in Chicago have so much worse violent crime than the Hispanic neighborhoods when they both have similar poverty? One classic example is Lawndale. Same neighborhood, same poverty level. Yet North Lawndale (90% Black) is significantly more dangerous than South Lawndale (90% Latino). So it can’t be solely a poverty problem.
I didn't say it was "all about poverty". I listed several crucial things: systemic racism, poverty, generational lack of education and resources, and I'm sure I missed other crucial contributors to the inner city problems.

As for Latinos with less crime, that's just plain not true. NM is second or maybe first in the nation crime per capita, and there are very few blacks that live in NM. So to blame crime on black culture is misleading at best, racist at worst.

Point being is this: All crime, poverty, is an AMERICAN PROBLEM. It is not a "Chicago problem" or a "NM problem" or any other location or demographical problem.

We whites created the systemic racism. We whites created the sense of some lives are worth more than others going back to slavery and well past Jim Crow. We whites must clean up our messes, and that means realizing that inner city Chicago problems are AMERICAN problems, and we are all responsible for fixing these issues. That means better education, resources, housing, and whatever it takes--reaching out across the divide especially--to bring our races together as one nation.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I didn't say it was "all about poverty". I listed several crucial things: systemic racism, poverty, generational lack of education and resources, and I'm sure I missed other crucial contributors to the inner city problems.

As for Latinos with less crime, that's just plain not true. NM is second or maybe first in the nation crime per capita, and there are very few blacks that live in NM. So to blame crime on black culture is misleading at best, racist at worst.

Point being is this: All crime, poverty, is an AMERICAN PROBLEM. It is not a "Chicago problem" or a "NM problem" or any other location or demographical problem.

We whites created the systemic racism. We whites created the sense of some lives are worth more than others going back to slavery and well past Jim Crow. We whites must clean up our messes, and that means realizing that inner city Chicago problems are AMERICAN problems, and we are all responsible for fixing these issues. That means better education, resources, housing, and whatever it takes--reaching out across the divide especially--to bring our races together as one nation.
Yet the violence began to escalate in the mid-1960s.

All the ingredients you list existed prior to this time and have, in anything, decreased since that time.

Systemic racism is a Marxist construct.

This whole destructive “white privilege” concept was created in the late ‘80s by a white professor at uber liberal Wellesley College. Among the list of “privileges” bestowed on whites is having band-aids hued to mesh with skin tone more so than “black” skin, so you know this whole thing is garbage.

Again, the Race Game is a huge industry, involving $$, careers, and politics and it must be perpetuated by empty blaming mechanisms like “white privilege” to perpetuate the underlying victimhood and blame narratives to deflect the real issues.

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-05-2020 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 05:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
A rapper was shot dead in broad daylight this week...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...-rush-michigan

Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A rapper was shot dead in broad daylight this week...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...-rush-michigan
..and expect retaliations. Could get real ugly, and if this rapper was shot in broad daylight on high-end swanky Oak Street, the retaliations can occur literally anywhere in the city.

Be safe Chicago.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:46 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
This thread devolved into some nasty racist remarks and replies to thereto. Those posts have been deleted and the thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-05-2020 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago