Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Actually it's not on the 3300 block of Halsted, it's all the way up on the 3700 block. It's a gay community center, and it's drawn in a lot of kids from the south and west sides who come there to get away from the issues in their own communities. Unfortunately the place closes at 10pm, the kids can't go into the bars, but since the center is right there near the thick of the nightlife the kids end up walking the streets and are joined by others. The center certainly isn't the only reason what's going on in boystown is going on, but it's one of them. Most of the kids are fine, but there are a LOT more fights, muggings and now stabbings than there ever use to be.
Sadly, I think you're correct. I noticed myself that things seemed to start going south in the Boystown area after the Center opened. I sincerely hate to say this, but I think the Center has attracted a bad element to the area. I don't even like walking past the place in the daytime.

Now, I'm sure the vast majority of the disadvantaged youth who utilize the services at the Center are not causing problems, but there's always a certain segment, a certain percentage who are bad apples. And as you've pointed out, after the Center closes for the night, some of the kids don't go straight home, but there's nothing else in the area for them to do, so they loiter and disturb the peace and sometimes end up getting into more serious trouble. And some of the nearby residents complain that the police have been less than responsive at times.

Used to be that if you were gay and went to Boystown for the evening, you only had to worry about the occasional hate crime (gay bashing). Nowadays, however, much of the violent crime is gay on gay, and I personally don't know what to make of it because I have no frame of reference for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Actually it's not on the 3300 block of Halsted, it's all the way up on the 3700 block. It's a gay community center, and it's drawn in a lot of kids from the south and west sides who come there to get away from the issues in their own communities.
Don't forget there are a few large apartment buildings with large amounts of Section 8 renters within blocks of Center on Halsted and those renters are black nine times out of ten. Of course there is the Gill Park co-op too.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Yeah the Center seems like an obvious scapegoat for the same old problems.
But where Boystown is concerned these are new problems, or at least this frequency and scale are new. And there is buzz that Center on Halsted is a part of it, and some here seem to concur. How long has the new facility been open, how long have they had this "troubled youth" outreach program beyond just the standard LGBT appeal, and when did these problems come to a head?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
Don't forget there are a few large apartment buildings with large amounts of Section 8 renters within blocks of Center on Halsted and those renters are black nine times out of ten. Of course there is the Gill Park co-op too.
Yes, but those low-income buildings have been there for a long time -- certainly before I moved to town in the mid-'90s -- and Boystown didn't start having problems of this magnitude until the past couple years or so. I can't see where those buildings or their inhabitants have anything to do with it.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Update: One of the main perpetrators in last Sunday night's Boystown attack and stabbing was identified and caught, thanks in part to the YouTube video of the incident:

Facebook, YouTube help police make arrest in Boystown stabbing

Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM

27 posts, read 113,121 times
Well i remember last year in September me and my guy were in Humboldt Park over there off crystal and washtenaw. We almost got stabbed by a few cobras. LoL! I had to swing my way out of that one. Bob and weave! Me and my guy were straight. We took flight on that tail. Apparently he stole money from some dude out their gang.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArea00 View Post
Well i remember last year in September me and my guy were in Humboldt Park over there off crystal and washtenaw. We almost got stabbed by a few cobras. LoL! I had to swing my way out of that one. Bob and weave! Me and my guy were straight. We took flight on that tail. Apparently he stole money from some dude out their gang.
Post of the year.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
I love my people!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
So your boyfriend is a thief?

And, he steals primarily from gang members?

How does he spend the profits? Donate them to AT&T?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
So your boyfriend is a thief?

And, he steals primarily from gang members?

How does he spend the profits? Donate them to AT&T?
Personally, I don't care to know these answers. It's like Houdini exposing his magic tricks...just be entertained!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago