Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 10:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Florida has been a destination for Chicago seniors retiring as long as I can remember, like back into at least the 50's. My grandparents retired to Miami as did nearly all my relatives and those of all I knew back in the day. It's by NO means a haven for all the conservatives. Most of Chicago isn't so how in the world does someone come up with that one.
Arizona as well. Arizona is literally mini-Chicagoland. There are so many Chicagoans down there that they have a Portillos, and tons of Chicago bars and restaurants. I know many of Chicagoans who have family that moved or retired to Arizona.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:41 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,547 times
It's not too hard to see why people stay:

1) Crime: It's not too high in most of the city, though there is some spillover. Really there are quite a few cities which are similar in this regard. I've lived here since 2008 and have never been a victim of a crime. But if you have a low tolerance for crime you might prefer to not live in a large city.

2) Weather: Winters can be cold, like in much of the Midwest. But plenty of mild days too. The rest of year is fine. And we don't get major natural disasters here.

3) Old Roads and Driving conditions: Well, the winters aren't too good for the roads, but they do a lot of maintenance on them. A good number of potholes. Big deal though, are you going to leave just based on that?

4) High Rents: not compared to other large cities.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:07 PM

219 posts, read 135,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
]Yes it does, it's in the bottom 10% of U.S. cities in terms of safety.
It's more dangerous than both NYC and Los Angeles, which is why there's an exodus of people trying to get the hell out. Even companies are starting to leave, Tyson Foods is the latest to announce they're leaving Chicago.

And then you have to take into account that the left-wing buffoons running Chicago (and Illinois) are doubling down on their stupidity. Get ready for "No Bail" policies to take effect, meaning that most arrested criminals will be immediately released from jail after being processed:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/illinoi...xx-11670612626

Chicago is a great city with a nice aesthetic, but unfortunately it's filled with criminals and left-wing morons who refuse to lock those criminals up. Those are the two main issues with Chicago, criminals and lefty buffoons. Get rid of those two and Chicago could be America's top city.
Negative. Every source I've checked says otherwise.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
  1. One of the Highest Crime Rates.
  2. Cold Winters
  3. Old Roads and Driving conditions
  4. High Rents --- cost of living
:
Could be said about NYC, particularly points 3 and 4.

Less crime and slightly warmer winters, but still pretty bad crime and terrible winters in NYC (compared to the West Coast and Southeast).

Honestly, these comments could be said about many cities in the Northeast and Midwest.

I love visiting Chicago, the weather is probably the main aspect that prevents me from becoming a resident. But it is one of the better US cities in my opinion, in spite of its flaws.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:43 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
1. Chicago doesn't have one of the highest crime rates
2. I'll take Chicago winters over Florida or Arizona summers. You can layer up and mitigate the effects of cold, can't do that with 100 degree temperatures
3. Driving conditions are pretty much the same as any other large city. Roads look similiar to
4. Rents are comparable to other large cities, if not cheaper.

At the end of the day I can't think of any other places that i can afford that is a better alternative than Chicago.
In both you can walk in air conditioned mall, workout in an air conditioned gym, drive in your air conditioned car, and work in an air conditioned place.

In South Florida you don't have to worry about driving on black ice nor in a snowstorm nor have to wait for a street to be plowed. You don't have to shovel humidity. You also don't have to worry about slipping on ice on a sidewalk

Old 01-03-2023, 12:16 AM

115 posts, read 103,137 times
If I could find somewhere that had good public transportation, decent job opportunities. Middle class housing, diversity, and decent weather, in other words Nirvana. I would leave in a heartbeat if I could find at least 2/3 of that.

Yes, Chicago has its problems, but it also has some great things. Bottom line is you have to deal with something no matter where you go. Hurricanes, earthquakes, tornado's, extreme heatwaves, 9 feet of snow etc.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:25 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In both you can walk in air conditioned mall, workout in an air conditioned gym, drive in your air conditioned car, and work in an air conditioned place.

In South Florida you don't have to worry about driving on black ice nor in a snowstorm nor have to wait for a street to be plowed. You don't have to shovel humidity. You also don't have to worry about slipping on ice on a sidewalk
No, in South Florida you have to worry about being evacuated due to hurricane threats, flooding, bugs the size of your hands, sinkholes and further up in the state tornadoes. Miami is the only city in that state that's worth a damn and it still has issues. And I'm a summer guy. Unless I'm retiring with a ton of cash on me there's no way to make it there due to the crazy COL and atrocious wages.

Winter is GARBAGE up here. Which is why my ideal spot is SoCal or the Pacific NW where winter isn't as harsh and wages aren't trash. Until then I'll wear cleats til spring.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:28 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,604 times
Quote:

There are clearly endless reasons Florida is gaining SO many people each day. As Illinois continues to lose everyone 8 years in a row now. I know my friends down there have said they can see the difference as the population just keeps growing and growing!

Old 01-03-2023, 12:22 PM

219 posts, read 135,281 times
Quote:

So the weather is so unbearable in the summer that you are confined to be indoors. Walks in a mall is not my idea of enjoyment but to each their own. Not the endorsement you think it is

Old 01-04-2023, 07:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 3,310,193 times
I don't know if it is still true for city government workers to live in the city. From Streets & Sanitation to CTA to the Park District to CPS the "city" hires a lot of workers. Makes for a base of a lot of workers that have to live in the city.

Then you have so many workers that have access to downtown via CTA. Not everyone goes by Metra. For shopping State Street or Michigan Ave may not be as busy as it used to be. Between Marshall Field & Carson's may not have the shopping today.

Third item via CTA is a ride to Wrigley Field or Comiskey Park for baseball. Not so much for Bulls or Blackhawk games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago