Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:01 AM

573 posts, read 260,143 times

Advertisements

Why do Ppl 'Remain and Stay' in Chicago?
  1. One of the Highest Crime Rates.
  2. Cold Winters
  3. Old Roads and Driving conditions
  4. High Rents --- cost of living
https://heyjackass.com/

The rest of the Nation is scratching their heads...WHY?

Thoughts / Comments ?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-s...def4363c5a49b#

Old 12-20-2022, 09:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
The First, Hello,

THAT is why I JUST visit! I have no idea why anyone would actually want to LIVE there!

Old 12-20-2022, 12:45 PM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
Rents are actually cheap compared to other major cities. Go to NYC or Ca then talk.

The crime gets broadcasted to millions of people nationwide. Those millions spread it amongst each other and make it out to be this godforsaken city.

For the millions that live in Chicago, crime is rare. Statistically it is rare for the average Chicagoan.

Winters are fine. Most of the United States experiences winter. We have coats, heaters, salt trucks and plows.

Old roads? That one you just pulled out of nowhere.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-23-2022 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Off-topic; personal attack.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I reside in Milwaukee County. And I don't think it's anymore problematic than Chicago, etc. As many times that I have made my way through, I saw ONE crime take place, literally. And there are areas where crimes are quite minimal.

Growing up in the north of the United States is just "the way it is" for us. We are accustomed to it, along with the other change of seasons.

Milwaukee has pot holes, as does Chicago, as does MANY other cities. If pot holes is one of our worst problems (that it made this top 4 list), then we are in GOOD shape!

Some of the most interesting display of architecture of buildings and homes. A rich history (both from legal occurrences, or not). Some of the greatest variety of food. Beautiful diversity of people's cultures, religions, etc. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Those reasons I give help me understand why people DO choose to reside.

Old 12-20-2022, 02:20 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Chicago is easily one of the most beautiful major cities in the world. For you to say you have "no idea" why someone would live here goes to show that you don't know anything about Chicago.

Here are some of the pros:
- Great food of all kinds, including different ethnic foods
- Wonderful skyline with great parks and ammenities
- Moderate Cost of Living (contrary to your bashing, it's actually quite affordable in Chicago compared to other major cities)
- Amazing public transit only behind NYC
- A lot of job opportunities and great salaries
- Huge city with lots to explore
- Great infrastructure with cheap electric, unlimited water, and two major airports to access by L train
- Wonderful and rich history with great architecture
- World class museums, hospitals and universities

Just to show I am not trying to biased, here are some actual cons:
- Crime (still not as bad as media makes it out to be but it's still not good either)
- High Taxes (this is the highest "cost" in our cost of living)
- Few options to get lost in nature
- Cold (quite bad but not Canada "bad")
- Terrible public education system (good private though)

Last edited by ChiGuy2.5; 12-20-2022 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 02:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Rents are actually cheap compared to other major cities. Go to NYC or Ca then talk.

The crime gets broadcasted to millions of people nationwide. Those millions spread it amongst each other and make it out to be this godforsaken city.

For the millions that live in Chicago, crime is rare. Statistically it is rare for the average Chicagoan.

Winters are fine. Most of the United States experiences winter. We have coats, heaters, salt trucks and plows.

Old roads? That one you just pulled out of nowhere.

Your post will probably be deleted due to trolling.
Also, since Chicago has one of the best rail transit systems in the US, you don't need to use the old roads as much. Many choose to go without a car altogether and do fine. And with two airport hubs, it's easy to fly anywhere. And the sports teams, well, I guess you got us on that!

Old 12-20-2022, 03:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I wouldn't take anyone who uses Fox News as a source seriously ^^

Chicago is a beautiful city. It has crime problems, sure. Its also a massive city. With many different neighbourhoods. So not all neighbourhoods are dangerous. It has old roads? London and Paris have even older ones. Does that make them worse?

Cold winters? Isn't winter SUPPOSED to be cold? Plus Chicago winters aren't even that bad. I live where its even colder and our winters are also exaggerated. How come hot summers isn't brought up as much when talking about southernly cities?

Old 12-20-2022, 04:42 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post

Chicago is a beautiful city. It has crime problems, sure. Its also a massive city. With many different neighbourhoods. So not all neighbourhoods are dangerous. It has old roads? London and Paris have even older ones. Does that make them worse?

Cold winters? Isn't winter SUPPOSED to be cold? Plus Chicago winters aren't even that bad. I live where its even colder and our winters are also exaggerated. How come hot summers isn't brought up as much when talking about southernly cities?
Good point, Chicago has the most beautiful summers!

Old 12-20-2022, 05:32 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Good point, Chicago has the most beautiful summers!
LOL, I love the place but I tend to say Chicago is just North enough to have a bad winter but not far North enough to totally escape a bad summer.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:51 PM

332 posts, read 524,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
This, exactly. Lol. But I'm feeling my oats this evening so I'll play.

1. Crime - yes it's an absolutely serious problem but the peanut gallery who never goes to cities and just watches sensationalist news has little if anything at all insightful to bring to the conversation. Ie conveniently ignoring Indiana's gun laws when mentioning Chicago's gun laws.

2. Cold winters - yes. That said, Chicago is as good as it gets in the US at managing winter. Love it or hate it (or both) winter is an inherent feature of Chicago as much as mountains are features of Colorado and oceans are features of Florida. Get adventuresome and take a short road trip up to Green Bay in December for a night game at Lambeau Field.

3. Roads and driving conditions - where are you going to live if you don't want to be hamstrung to a multi-thousand dollar piece of equipment that requires constant maintenance and repairs to be able to get from point A to point B? And which breaks down at the most inconvenient time. And those multi-thousands of dollars are coming out of your own pocket.

4. Cost of living - opportunity costs/job market. . . .are multi-thousand dollar piece of equipment costs factored into this equation? Winter - yields a lower cost of living since you pay for part of the cost by having winter. Winter also lowers demand all things being equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago