Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times

Advertisements

Brought the kids to Mt. Greenwood Park last night. If you've never been, it has an incredible new kids play area and a new Ben & Jerry's across the street. There were probably 100 families taking advantage of a warm night. About 98 were kind of middle or working class looking white kids (many overfed). I saw one or two black families. Next to the park there were about 50-75 teenagers hanging out on the bleachers near the baseball diamond. 100% of them were white (this will become relevant in a minute). Reminded me of 1980 in Bridgeport.

At sunset most of the young kids started to leave and groups of teenagers starting descending on the park. Nothing abnormal -- they were just doing typical teenager stuff. Then one group of about six came jogging through the park with two of the kids screaming at the top of their lungs -- "all sp*cs and ni**ers out of the fu**ing park! get the f*ck out. Time to get the f**k out. They were acting like wild animals. A group came running up to them pointing toward a black family. They started running toward them screaming "get the f**k out". A crowd formed. I don't think anything happened but it was a total freak show.

Honestly, I had no clue this stuff still happened. If you're white and want to travel back in time 25 years for kicks, you should visit. If you're black or latino I would avoid the place. Not sure why blacks would even want to pass through Mt. Greenwood let alone move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 AM

It was certainly effective. I switched from Spanish to English quickly, and there wasn't so much as a tan white person left in the park.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
I had no idea things were that volatile and bad.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I had no idea things were that volatile and bad.
I didn't either. Maybe it's atypical, but people seemed to treat this like it was nothing special. These kids were SCREAMING at the top of there lungs, as though it was the nightly siren.

I don't spend a lot of time in Mt. Greenwood, but I pass through frequently. There are certainly blacks here and there on 111th street west of Western. I guess there are some unofficial borders enforced by the local youth.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

44 posts, read 122,592 times
Wow, that's really . . . disgusting. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there is still such hate around.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
The idea that those kids will actually change anything is more grandiose than my idea. 99% of the blue collar, working class, whites living there won't be menacing minorities in Mt. Greenwood Park -- they'll be too busy loading up their U-Hauls for Tinley Park. Then, the cycle will repeat itself there at some point in the future, and so on and so forth.

Bottom line is that blue collar, working class folks cannot afford to isolate themselves. So a few will resort to futile gestures like this. But most of them will just continue to move around.

So we might want to start getting into that grandiose, multi-generational protocol sooner rather than later.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM

I agree with BRU. The uniform failures have been when people have fantasized that they could hunker down and protect their community by intimidation. It will never work. What's unique about this situation is that the residents can't just move because of the city worker law. I agree that most white-to-black neighborhood conversions don't result in anyplace that anyone with a choice would want to live, but at least there are a few examples of successes. I'd follow more the Beverly route -- focus on creating rules to eliminate conversions, minimize the chance of white flight, etc. and welcome anyone who can afford one of the properties (classism vs. racism). After all, well-to-do blacks seem to despise the ghetto culture as much as whites do.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
So glad I live in a place where race isn't the perceived cause, effect, and bottom-line for everything.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So glad I live in a place where race isn't the perceived cause, effect, and bottom-line for everything.
Believe me, people are no different in Denver

Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Believe me, people are no different in Denver
Believe me, this would not happen in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago