Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,327 times

Advertisements

Humboldt pk has changed so much. It was once an interesting area. What's happening to all the culture in the city. I can remember when you had to be somebody or know somebody to live in humboldt pk. How long before my beloved flags come down? I see all these yuppies and fake rock stars. The majority of these people are not from chicago. They come from michigan,ohio,california, and other places. I remeber going to the park and hearing salsa and people just hanging out. Now all you see is whites drinking coffee while walking with their dogs. There use to be so many characters in humboldt pk. I now see how the city is pouring so much money into humboldt pk. They got cops everywhere,keep it clean,and now they want to fix the schools. Why didn't they do this years ago? As soon as the whites come they want to fix everything. I guess you won't see very many puerto ricans in humboldt pk soon. I wonder how long before they ask for the flags to come down? There is a good video on u tube about the humboldt pk invasion. Can't we have anything that is uniquely puerto rican?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuadon View Post
...I can remember when you had to be somebody or know somebody to live in humboldt pk...
What? You mean like a member of a gang?

Quote:
...The majority of these people are not from chicago. They come from michigan,ohio,california, and other places...
Now you know how the "whites" felt when the Puerto Ricans that were from Puerto Rico invaded Humboldt Park in the 50's-70's.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
If you want community that EXCLUDES others there is no way you are going to get ANY support fro that anywhere in the USA, sorry but thems the breaks.

If, however, you want to preserve some unique features of your experience in the neighborhood there are PLENTY of ways to do that. The City has massive support for just about any even half-organized group. Get a couple of people, make a few visits to the ward boss, alderman, media and you won't even need to go the City Hall, the City administration will come to you!

Maybe the people listening to salsa in the park did not get enough help from people to keep things the way they were.

If the "characters' didn't have decent jobs to afford the Mayor's every growing need for revenue, they've probably been driven to crappy areas.

The cops and school improvement may be directly related to the folks who rather walk dogs in safety with enough folding cash to drop at the expensive coffee store than "just hanging out" in a probably not so friendly way...

Old 11-27-2008, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
To the OP: now you know what it feels like, eh? As Hispanics have fled their home countries and moved to the states, we've watched as German, Irish, Scandinavian, Polish, Asian, African American communities were overrun by Hispanics. Sure it sucks to have childhood memories erased and replaced, etc, but you have to take it for what its worth and embrace it. If you dont like it, well, thats your prerogative. EVERYONE from EVERY race has had to deal with similar issues, thats what makes America such an interesting and great place.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
I try not to respond to folks with fewer than 10 posts. Sometimes silly trollish things get posted.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,394 times
Man, someone sure is a racist. Have a problem with white people?

Old 11-27-2008, 04:12 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,951 times
Quote:
Humboldt pk has changed so much. It was once an interesting area. What's happening to all the culture in the city. I can remember when you had to be somebody or know somebody to live in humboldt pk. How long before my beloved flags come down? I see all these yuppies and fake rock stars. The majority of these people are not from chicago. They come from michigan,ohio,california, and other places. I remeber going to the park and hearing salsa and people just hanging out. Now all you see is whites drinking coffee while walking with their dogs. There use to be so many characters in humboldt pk. I now see how the city is pouring so much money into humboldt pk. They got cops everywhere,keep it clean,and now they want to fix the schools. Why didn't they do this years ago? As soon as the whites come they want to fix everything. I guess you won't see very many puerto ricans in humboldt pk soon. I wonder how long before they ask for the flags to come down? There is a good video on u tube about the humboldt pk invasion. Can't we have anything that is uniquely puerto rican?
It's not just your neighborhood, it's evey neighborhood in Chicago. Read some of my earlier posts, I bring it up all the time. Every neighborhood is filling up full of hipsters, yuppies and "edgy" coffee shops. I stopped talking about it because I kept getting trashed on here, but nows a good time to bring it up again. The dudes with tight jeans, the long front bangs, fake glasses, who pretend like they play the acoustic guitar need to go back to the suburb they came from. Just cause Chicago is now accepted and viewed as "cool" and "hip" does not mean you can come and culturally and ethnically cleanse my city. And the only white people I'm refferring to are these ones from the burbs of michigan, or wisconsin, or whatever midwestern state, not the old blue collar german, irish, polish, italian types who have hard interwined roots with Chicago from day 1.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
It's not just your neighborhood, it's evey neighborhood in Chicago. Read some of my earlier posts, I bring it up all the time. Every neighborhood is filling up full of hipsters, yuppies and "edgy" coffee shops. I stopped talking about it because I kept getting trashed on here, but nows a good time to bring it up again. The dudes with tight jeans, the long front bangs, fake glasses, who pretend like they play the acoustic guitar need to go back to the suburb they came from. Just cause Chicago is now accepted and viewed as "cool" and "hip" does not mean you can come and culturally and ethnically cleanse my city. And the only white people I'm refferring to are these ones from the burbs of michigan, or wisconsin, or whatever midwestern state, not the old blue collar german, irish, polish, italian types who have hard interwined roots with Chicago from day 1.
and have you been to West Humboldt lately? better hipsters, coffee shops, and frou frou yorkies than gangsters, boarded up stores and homes, stores w/ bullet proof glass, and pit bull fights. I'm not a huge fan of yuppies, but in some cases, they're better than the alternatives

didn't realize people were no against newcomers in this city! so only "real" Chicagoans should live here or something? do you arbor this much vitriol only towards newcomers from the Midwest, are are you against newcomers from the East and West coasts as well? or are only only against whites who move into a gritty, lower income area and shape it up?

Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
and have you been to West Humboldt lately? better hipsters, coffee shops, and frou frou yorkies than gangsters, boarded up stores and homes, stores w/ bullet proof glass, and pit bull fights. I'm not a huge fan of yuppies, but in some cases, they're better than the alternatives

didn't realize people were no against newcomers in this city! so only "real" Chicagoans should live here or something? do you arbor this much vitriol only towards newcomers from the Midwest, are are you against newcomers from the East and West coasts as well? or are only only against whites who move into a gritty, lower income area and shape it up?
I'm just sayin I like neighborhoods to have character and their own distinctions. If Chicago keeps going in the direction its going, its gonna end up like an oversized Portland or Seattle or Austin, and that thought just makes me shutter. No character, no originality, no distinction from other neighborhoods in the area. Just one, big , bland giant city. There's nothing wrong with neighborhoods getting fixed up, but people assume that when yuppies and hipsters take over, the only thing the neighborhood is losing is crime and gangbangers and that's far from true. It's like a city wide chemotherapy- sure the bad cells die, but alot of the good cells go along with them. Imagine a city where all mexican, soul food and burger/hotdog/polish sausage joints are all replaced with hipser coffee shops or some lame "live music" sandwich shop. This doesn't apply to just the mexican, PR or black neighborhoods, but the polish, irish, german and italian neighborhoods as well. They're all just being washed away and pretty soon we'll be nothing more than a giant Portland, Oregon. AND I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE DAMN KIDS HANDING OUT THOSE "SAVE THE TREES" FLYERS ON ANOTHER STREET CORNER, I'LL WRING EM BY THE THROAT! Yeah, you know those people, those are the kinda people I'm talkin about- rich, whiney suburbanites who have nothing better to do with their time but protest and worry about things in the city nobody has time to worry about. That's the direction were headed, and it's only getting worse. They come from all over, not just the midwest, I'm just used to hearing after I ask somebody where they're from, "Yeah bro, I'm from Michigan dude! Go MU! Chyaa!" Friggin lames, drive me crazy.

Last edited by Banx; 11-27-2008 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 05:27 PM

185 posts, read 405,878 times
Quote:
Can't we have anything that is uniquely puerto rican?
-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago