Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
In addition to my recent post on the salvation of all, already accomplished by God through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, I have one small additional reason as to why I believe in the salvation of the world (regardless of doctrinal views of the hows and whys of "getting there"). It is this:

As long as I believe that there is "judgment" and "hell" to pay to unbelievers (the type typically preached), I truly and honestly cannot "love my neighbor." I simply can't do it. I find myself hating, despising, judging and criticizing others.
Conversely, when I think on the eternal Mercy and Goodness and Salvation of all souls back to the Almighty, I rejoice, I have peace inside, I feel a beautiful desire to share the Good News with others, and my judging and despising is turned into Love!

A very simple, hands-on, doctrine-less, experiential reason why I am convinced that ET is not the Truth of God.

Maybe other people are able to "love thy neighbor as thyself" and still believe that they are going to hell. I personally cannot do it, and my experiences have proven it to me.

Blessings to all,
brian
I think this was your problem. You were not letting the Holy Spirit work in your life. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but all I can do is let the Bible speak. Sometimes it is harsh. Having love for your neighbor is not a mater of doctrine, but of allowing Christ to work in you.

We are not saved by our doctrine. Not are we renewed by our doctrine and we certainly are not filled with the fruits of the Spirit by our doctrine. We are saved, renewed and filled with the Fruits because we have relation with God thru Christ.

Galatians 5:16-25 spells it out;

16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
As long as I believe that there is "judgment" and "hell" to pay to unbelievers (the type typically preached), I truly and honestly cannot "love my neighbor." I simply can't do it. I find myself hating, despising, judging and criticizing others.
I have never experienced that problem since becoming a believer, and I think you will have to explain it little better. I guess any UR, since they all agreed that when they were 'ETs' they hated and despised everyone. I don't know any born again believers who have or had that problem. It is bizarre that a believer would have that kind of problems.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Now that my priorities have changed to talking about universalism rather than shouting about fundamentalism and ET, I have peace beyond description and a peaceful love for everyone knowing that God has a plan for them too. There's no need to shout, but it is definitely worth talking about!!
Whether or not you realize it or not, you still shout.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Hi all,
In addition to my recent post on the salvation of all, already accomplished by God through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, I have one small additional reason as to why I believe in the salvation of the world (regardless of doctrinal views of the hows and whys of "getting there"). It is this:

Conversely, when I think on the eternal Mercy and Goodness and Salvation of all souls back to the Almighty, I rejoice, I have peace inside, I feel a beautiful desire to share the Good News with others, and my judging and despising is turned into Love!

A very simple, hands-on, doctrine-less, experiential reason why I am convinced that ET is not the Truth of God.

Maybe other people are able to "love thy neighbor as thyself" and still believe that they are going to hell. I personally cannot do it, and my experiences have proven it to me.

Blessings to all,
brian

Thank you for sharing your past and placing this out there, as predicted, the predators come out showing that as believers that claim they do not act like you did, they treat you like you describe you use to be showing their folly.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Hi all,

A beautiful testimony.
One that is honest, raw, and lovely in His eyes, I'm sure.
One of His children explaining the transformation that took place in his heart when trusting in the power of His great love for all.
Like I said... beautiful.
Peace,
sparrow

Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Thank you for sharing your past and placing this out there, as predicted, the predators come out showing that as believers that claim they do not act like you did, they treat you like you describe you use to be showing their folly.
Wow, just wow.

You do realize that you are calling certain posters liars. You don't know them, yet you judge their hearts.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
the predators come out showing that as believers that claim they do not act like you did, they treat you like you describe you use to be showing their folly.
"the predators" as you lable your neighbors could also be telling the truth, as opposed to lying as you obviously suggest. Did that ever occur to you?

And if you are going to accuse people of treating him hatefully and despicefully, then I would appreciate it if you quoted the posts where you got that idea. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Wow, just wow.

You do realize that you are calling certain posters liars. You don't know them, yet you judge their hearts.

No judging necessary, their own words make it obvious.

Try again.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Blessings to all,
brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
While I agree with this, I imagine you'll get a lot of flack because it's not biblical. It's very true though and I can attest to that in my own experience lately. As an ETer I found it difficult to love others because of my judgmental attitude....it was more about drilling something into their heads than love. Now I find it easier to let go and let God in bringing people to Himself and all that's left is for me to love, love, love them.

I was recently accused by a couple of ETer's that I'm not showing this newfound "love" because I challenged them, but debating has nothing to do with the fact that I love them whereas before I just wanted to shake them. This is not the best format to always "show" that you love the one you're debating with, but I know it in my heart and that to me is what is important.....what is in my heart. Now that my priorities have changed to talking about universalism rather than shouting about fundamentalism and ET, I have peace beyond description and a peaceful love for everyone knowing that God has a plan for them too. There's no need to shout, but it is definitely worth talking about!!
Actually i believe that it is completely doctrinal. When Paul writes that we should give thanks to God for all people, it implies that all are saved (as God will have all people to be saved, and as God is the savior of all people, and as all flesh shall see salvation) and because of this we are able to give thanks to God for all people.

How can one truly give thanks to God for Hitler if one believes Hitler will be eternally tortured, unless of course you believes that the everlasting torture of Hitler and his evil actions while he was alive in some way makes their life better?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"the predators" as you lable your neighbors could also be telling the truth, as opposed to lying as you obviously suggest. Did that ever occur to you?

And if you are going to accuse people of treating him hatefully and despicefully, then I would appreciate it if you quoted the posts where you got that idea. Thank you.

I don't really need to do anything, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity