Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
With blessings of love to all (and I don't require anything from you back, either..!), I have a hypothetic situation to discuss "for fun":

A man ties you down, and tells you that you must love him and obey him, otherwise he will torture you with a hot iron.

What would you do? Would you love him? COULD you love him?

If you tell him you love him, are you being sincere? How can it be sincere, if love must be free and spontaneous, not forced?

Food for thought..

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
For thoughs under the fortitude of Lord Jesus would automatically command that Jesus help them from the torment by rebuking the spirit in Jesus name behind the torment, then after any torment forgive any ought and let it go and if the tormenter continue then, sever ties

Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
With blessings of love to all (and I don't require anything from you back, either..!), I have a hypothetic situation to discuss "for fun":

A man ties you down, and tells you that you must love him and obey him, otherwise he will torture you with a hot iron.

If you tell him you love him, are you being sincere? How can it be sincere, if love must be free and spontaneous, not forced?

Food for thought..

Blessings to all,
brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
For thoughs under the fortitude of Lord Jesus would automatically command that Jesus help them from the torment by rebuking the spirit in Jesus name behind the torment, then after any torment forgive any ought and let it go and if the tormenter continue then, sever ties
...I'm sorry...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Food for thought..

Blessings to all,
brian
Perverting and distorting the truth is what you call 'fun'? Satan uses many to deceive the world.

God's perfect righteousness demands perfect righteousness in His creatures. He cannot have fellowship with those who don't have that perfect righteousness. Loving God is not an issue in salvation. It is not the criteria for salvation. The ONLY issue in salvation is to believe in Christ for salvation. Love for God after salvation comes with spiritual growth through learning and applying Bible doctrine.

When any member of the human race places his trust in Christ for salvation, then and only then does God impute His very own perfect righteousness to that person (Phil 3:9; Acts 26:18; Romans 3:20-28). Then and only then can God pronounce that person to be justified. Additionally, at the point of faith in Christ, God imputes His very own eternal life to that person. Those are the qualifications for spending eternity with God. Having perfect righteousness and having eternal life. Neither of which are automatic because of the Cross. What Christ did on the Cross made it possible for salvation to be offered. It requires a decision to place your faith in Christ in order to receive God's righteousness and eternal life and therefore be eternally saved.

And there is no love in lulling others into a false sense of security about their eternal future. Neither is there any love for God in attempting to paint Him as a ruthless coercer of man because of the fact that He must operate within the framework of His holy nature. God cannot and will not compromise His essence in order to save man. Man must come to God in the way that God requires.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Food for thought..

Blessings to all,
brian
Good point.

Thanks God that he chooses those who are to believe.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Perverting and distorting the truth is what you call 'fun'? Satan uses many to deceive the world.

God's perfect righteousness demands perfect righteousness in His creatures. He cannot have fellowship with those who don't have that perfect righteousness. Loving God is not an issue in salvation. It is not the criteria for salvation. The ONLY issue in salvation is to believe in Christ for salvation. Love for God after salvation comes with spiritual growth through learning and applying Bible doctrine.

When any member of the human race places his trust in Christ for salvation, then and only then does God impute His very own perfect righteousness to that person (Phil 3:9; Acts 26:18; Romans 3:20-28). Then and only then can God pronounce that person to be justified. Additionally, at the point of faith in Christ, God imputes His very own eternal life to that person. Those are the qualifications for spending eternity with God. Having perfect righteousness and having eternal life. Neither of which are automatic because of the Cross. What Christ did on the Cross made it possible for salvation to be offered. It requires a decision to place your faith in Christ in order to receive God's righteousness and eternal life and therefore be eternally saved.

And there is no love in lulling others into a false sense of security about their eternal future. Neither is there any love for God in attempting to paint Him as a ruthless coercer of man because of the fact that He must operate within the framework of His holy nature. God cannot and will not compromise His essence in order to save man. Man must come to God in the way that God requires.
Hi Mike555,

Can you please try answering the questions?
Thanks.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Food for thought..

Blessings to all,
brian
I don't see how this relates to God,(I guess this is a trick question ?) as you are speaking of human love here on earth.Godly love is different,and it IS free,spontaneous and unforced.It is totally by our own choice.

But to answer your question..NO.True love is based on 2 main foundations,which are friendship and respect.Obviously someone who would do that to you is not exhibiting these characteristics.
Psychologically speaking, ppl who are victims of this kind of abuse probably fool themselves into thinking they love the person who abuses them.But this is just a mere method of self-defense/denial/self-preservation.Sort of like when a hostage relates to his or her kidnappers in order to stay alive,and in some cases,even defends them.(via brainwashing).

Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
I have already made it clear that your questions are a false issue. You attempt to make God seem like an extortionist by bringing up your hypothetical man torturing someone with a hot iron and demanding to be loved.

And that has nothing to do with the reality that man must believe in Christ or be eternally lost.

So don't expect me to play into your attempts to distort the truth.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-12-2010 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I have already made it clear that your questions are a false issue. You attempt to make God seem like an extortionist by bringing up your hypothetical man torturing someone with a hot iron and demanding to be loved.

And that has nothing to do with the reality that man must believe in Christ or be eternally lost.

So don't expect me to play into your attempts to distort the truth.
I'm sorry Mike, but I can't find any difference between the two scenarios. I am looking for truth more than you think, and you can't give it because you don't have it.
But although you cannot answer my questions, don't feel obliged to continue trying.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,529 times
Quote:
And that has nothing to do with the reality that man must believe in Christ or be eternally lost
Mike555, your whole premise is flawed. Man can only believe in Christ when God the Father makes him ready. God is the author and finisher of our faith, lest any man boast. This one important point just won't sink in for you. But God will let it one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity