Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I apologize for thinking you were a universalist
That's ok Jason28...I've been called worse..
( by universalists no less)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
With that being said, only one of two possible outcomes is true:

Only one branch of one religion is right and everyone else is wrong
OR
All branches of all religions have some shred of validity.

So you must be pretty confident if you believe what you're saying is absolute truth. ....... On what basis are you judging your truth to be any more true than everyone else's truth?

Yes I am confident. Several reasons:
  • The Bible itself said it wasn't something from man 2 Timothy 3:16
  • the Bible is the only Word of God that we have, and the Bible itself tells us not to expect any other Isaiah 8:20, Revelation 22:18-19
  • Prophecy that are true are from God 2 Peter 1:20
  • Jesus fulfilled the OT prophecies Matthew 26:56
Matthew 26:56 is what seperates faiths\ beliefs\ religions. Jesus says:

It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God. Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. John 6:45

The doctrines of all religions fall into two basic catagories:
  • God did everything for my salvation and offers free forgiveness\salvation by faith Revelation 22:17

• or essentially
  • God did almost everything for my salvation
    • I'm required \ encouraged to do something other than believing
      • AKA "works" .....i.e.
        • walk around mecca
        • blow myself up for 72 virgins
        • wear a tent so that only your eyes are showing
        • kneel on a rug while facing a particular direction
        • chanting by a stone wall
      • some USA examples:
        • required tithing
        • worship only on Sat
        • shriners parade (for the participants)
        • the ban on alcholic beverages
        • being just "moral" is good enough
        • proving yourself worthy
"The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!".... Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life."

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-13-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Katzpur,
It would make things much easier if you be up front with people about the language differences when you post...instead of waiting to have other people point it out.
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the Nicene Creed and the definition of the Trinity that was formulated as a result of the 325 A.D. Council at Nicea. I'm merely pointing out that, by your logic, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century followers of Jesus Christ were not Christians because they did not subscribe to a creed that you seem to think a person must believe in in order to be called a Christian. Was that up front enough for you? Because if you'd prefer, I can get right in your face about it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-13-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Quote:

Yes I am confident. Several reasons:
  • The Bible itself said
And I'll stop the quote right there and requote what I said:

"If you say the bible, then I will ask why is your book any more true than other religion's holy books? All of them were written, transcribed, and smeared by man to claim they are true."

So you basically believe that your holy book is better than everyone else's, just because it is, then proceed to use passages in said book to explain why it is so. And Maxim magazine probably proclaims itself as Man's greatest magazine but that most certainly doesn't make it so. You've given no basis for proclaiming your book to be any better than anyone else's. After all, each one believes itself to be true and self evident.

I also ask what value is a book where not only are there dozens of very real and disturbing contradictions, but the majority of religions based on Christianity simply cherry pick what verses they want for their custom fit version, then go on to ignore entire books? If you ignore any part of the bible, for any reason, then it stands that the entire thing is questionable. How can you have a solid rock foundation on the bible, when the bible itself is filled with fictional stories and brings about more questions than it answers? Oh thats right, because later on in the bible it tells you that its true. So it must be! That makes perfect sense!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia....
"the core Christian beliefs of [are] Incarnation, Trinity, and Jesus' Resurrection "
So "the core Christian beliefs" are now defined by the Almighty Wiki. When did this happen, and however did Christians get along before Wiki? Finally, how does Wiki get around the fact that Jesus' Apostles were evidently not Christians?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So "the core Christian beliefs" are now defined by the Almighty Wiki. When did this happen? And how does Wiki get around the fact that Jesus' Apostles were evidently not Christians?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the Nicene Creed and the definition of the Trinity that was formulated as a result of the 325 A.D. Council at Nicea. I'm merely pointing out that, by your logic, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century followers of Jesus Christ were not Christians because they did not subscribe to a creed that you seem to think a person must believe in in order to be called a Christian.
You know what exactly what I'm talking about......to paraphrase

"We often disagree with one another because .....the language we use words like "salvation" may mean one thing to a Baptist, to Catholics another [which FYI is wishful thinking] to a Latter-day Saint, it may mean something different still."

Why limit the words..... how about some of these know differences to a Latter-day Saint vs to a Baptist, to Catholics
  • forgiveness
  • angels
  • agency
  • Atonement
  • baptism
  • the view of Christ's cross
  • damn
  • the fall of Adam
  • justification
  • mother in heaven
  • plan of salvation
  • the purpose of the Lords Supper
  • Satan's gospel plan
Ah .... another language problem ...
it's your logic, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century followers of Jesus Christ were not Christians because they did not subscribe

Quote:
Was that up front enough for you? Because if you'd prefer, I can get right in your face about it.
http://http.cdnlayer.com/cf/images/smilies/onion/comeon.gif (broken link)Please do bring it on......then I'll know the veiled rules for denominational bashing are

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-13-2010 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
So "the core Christian beliefs" are now defined by the Almighty Wiki. When did this happen, and however did Christians get along before Wiki? Finally, how does Wiki get around the fact that Jesus' Apostles were evidently not Christians?
http://http.cdnlayer.com/cf/images/smilies/onion/stress.gif (broken link) about perfection sure can come with some odd conclusions....

no wonder all denominations were considered an abomination

Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 PM

When Bob started this thread, I think he was hoping that with a little effort, we Christians could learn to find some common ground and experience the kind of unity Christ wanted us to know. He told His disciples that the way people would be able to know that they were His followers was that they would have "love one to another." Would our interaction here on this forum lead someone to conclude that we are followers of Christ or not? We may never see eye to eye on every conceivable doctrine, but there is not one person here who does not deserve to be treated with respect and civility.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
What I find humorous is that you believe that Islam, Christianity and Judaism all have the same God...

Well I'd hate to think you are using a bible that is taken from the Jewish Hebrew Bible and you don't think we worship the same G-d????

Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well I'd hate to think you are using a bible that is taken from the Jewish Hebrew Bible and you don't think we worship the same G-d????
The Jews having rejected Jesus as the promised messiah, which the OT prophets and the Jewish religious leaders understood to be God, don't recognize the NT. The Jewish faith is still waiting for the Messiah.

If you mean the "Jewish Hebrew Bible" as only the OT, then no we don't worship the same God.For as you know Jesus was charged with blasphemy....

Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? Micah 7:18
"Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" Mark 2:7

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\

"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." John 10:33

Christians has always believed that Jesus is the promised Messiah therefore believing that the Messiah was God.
9mod]edited[/mod]

It is impossible to have this utopia when the core central teaching of Christianity is the Incarnation, Trinity, and Jesus' Resurrection "

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: disrespect for other posters here who adhere to another Christian or Jewish doctrine. s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity