Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Wow you are so far off base here its scary. You are speaking blasphemy. And for some reason Finn agrees with you.

First you say, "God is far more than love." OK, well God is love - but how can something be "far more" than love? Love itself is the greatest force in the universe because it does not fail. That's why God is love, because God is the greatest force in the universe. God is synonymous with love. All the other attributes of God: holiness, justice, righteousness etc, stem from his love. Not the other way around. If you have/are perfect love, you are also perfectly just. By definition that is what love is. Perfect justice serves to correct and restore. Not perpetuate evil forever. Perfect justice is a part of love. Perfect love is set apart (holy). Perfect love does the right thing (righteousness). etc. etc. etc. Love is the key. Nothing is far more than love, because God is love.

"It is not love that saves. God's love could not save anyone." WOW. Ok this is a real doozy. God's love could not save anyone? BLASPHEMY. You are saying God's love is weak, powerless, could not save a fly. Love is useless I guess. Wake up Mike. Love is not some "ga-ga sentimental emotional" feeling. Love is the most important thing. What do you think Christ's sacrifice on the cross was? There is no greater love than to lay down your life for another. Love is action. Love is doing. Love is protecting. Love is forgiving. Love is saving.

What kind of "love" requires "no personal acquaintance"? Love is not just a mental attitude. Let us love in action and deed, not just in thoughts and words.

Love is being kind to another soul.
Love is being patient with another soul.
Love is forgiving, protecting, hoping, persevering.
Love does not fail.

Go read 1 Cor 13 a couple dozen times please. That is what God is.

Where do you think the faith comes from?

God commands us to love. If we do not love, we do not know God. But anyone who does love has been born of God. Read it yourself Mike:

1 John 4:7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Go back and read and reread the post. Try to make an effort to understand what was said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
We may not agree on a lot of things Mike..but in this we do agree!

Too bad that based on your own personal theologies, if one of them is true, either you are damned or mike is, your agreement with him is irrelevant.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
I just figured out what the antichrist spirit is.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Mike555 i agree with Lego regarding how scary it is for you to say "God is far more than love" , when the scriptures are clear "God is love" , and it also says everyone that loves is born of God , in essence whoever loves is not only manifesting God's greatest attribute "love", but actually manifesting God Himself.

I am not sure what you asking Lego to read over again , but i admonish you to read 1 Corinthians 13(with an open heart) . Also the 2nd greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself . The reason it's the 2nd greatest commandment is when we love we are not only fulfilling the whole law (just for you Verna) but we are manifesting who God is.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I just figured out what the antichrist spirit is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Mike555 i agree with Lego regarding how scary it is for you to say "God is far more than love" , when the scriptures are clear "God is love" , and it also says everyone that loves is born of God , in essence whoever loves is not only manifesting God's greatest attribute "love", but actually manifesting God Himself.

I am not sure what you asking Lego to read over again , but i admonish you to read 1 Corinthians 13(with an open heart) . Also the 2nd greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself . The reason it's the 2nd greatest commandment is when we love we are not only fulfilling the whole law (just for you Verna) but we are manifesting who God is.

It is the spirit of antichrist that says "God's love could not save anyone."

Its quite sad...

Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God is far more than love. He is a Person. God's essence consists of a number of attributes which exist together in perfect harmony and integrity. No one of His attributes will function in a way which will compromise any other of His attributes. God has perfect love and is love. But His love is in perfect balance and relationship with His sovereignty, righteousness, justice, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, immutability, veracity, and eternal life.
His love is so much higher than you could ever imagine. You are going to be blown away.

Quote:
It is not love that saves.
Meditate on this:
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved. (Ephesians 2:4-5)

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:9-10)
We can do absolutely nothing to merit God's love. Faith pleases God, but it does not save you if you don't know the character of the god you believe in. It is faith in LOVE (God) which saves a dark soul. Yep, it does!

Faith, hope, love, but the greatest of these is love, not faith.

Quote:
God's love could not save anyone.
Be like your father in heaven, Mike. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you,if someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. James 2:13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Quote:
God's love could only motivate Him to offer a plan of salvation in which salvation was made possible by His JUSTICE and without compromising His righteousness. Not by His love.
James 2:13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Quote:
Before Adam fell, his point of contact with God was divine love. But God's love could not guarantee that Adam wouldn't lose his relationship with Him. The moment Adam sinned, the relationship between God and man was broken.
You cannot learn love, patience, or humility or what it means to love your enemies without darkness. You should think about that. One day you will be able to answer this question: Why did God place the most clever of beings in the "garden" with 2 of the most innocent beings ever to exist?

Be just like you father, who loves mercy!!

James 2:13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Quote:
At that moment, mans point of contact with God switched from divine love to divine justice. It was divine justice which imputed mans sins to Jesus Christ on the cross, and which enabled God to impute His perfect righteousness to the one who believes in Christ resulting in justification of the one who has believed.

Quote:
In impersonal love the virtue is in the one who does the loving, not in the object of the love. In other words, God's love for the world is based on His integrity. Not in anything inherent in man.
You were loved before you were even born, Mike. Stop chopping scripture to pieces and start believing them. I don't have time to quote all the verses I want to because I'm leaving for the night. Just throw all those books out the window and start studying the Bible with the fruits of the Spirit fresh in your mind.

Quote:
God does not as one poster said, adore the world. God's love is not some gushing sentimental emotion in which God is ga-ga over man. And God's love will in no way cause Him to compromise His perfection by saving those who don't come to Him through Christ. God has personal love toward the believer.
It's so much higher than "ga-ga" love, Mike. You will know what it feels like one day. You will!!

Quote:
God loves His own righteousness. Since He imputes His own righteousness to the believer, He can personally love the believer.
Horrible, Mike. Just horrible. I don't know what else to say. You just ripped out hundreds of beautiful stories from the Bible.

Quote:
Nor is the believers personal love for God an empty headed emotion. True love is a mental attitude. And that mental attitude of love is dependent on knowing God. And that means learning the doctrines and principles of the word of God. As the capacity to personally love God increases by learning and applying Bible doctrine to the situations of life, so too will the capacity to have impersonal love for all mankind increase.
Your capacity to love God (because he first loved YOU, Mike) comes from KNOWING God, who is love!!

Quote:
Impersonal love emphasizes the subject, demands integrity in the subject, requires no personal acquaintance, is directed toward everyone, is unconditional, is virtuous, strong and stable, depends on Bible doctrine, is a problem solver, and is mandatory.
I think you've just described a robot.

Quote:
Eternal salvation is obtained through faith in Christ. Not by love.
Huh. You are defying scripture. Faith, hope, love, but the greatest of these if love, not faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Excellent post
No, it wasn't. Like legoman said, it was blasphemous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Wow you are so far off base here its scary. You are speaking blasphemy. And for some reason Finn agrees with you.
Awesome post, legoman. It is scary, and it should wake us up to what's been happening for 2000 years. Wax worse and worse. Not better and better. Love grows cold and empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's heartbreaking to see so many here and in the "real" world who do not understand this.
It's heartbreaking that the Protestants broke away from the mother church and they haven't done any better than this. They just found themselves more popes and priests (Calvin, Luther and their followers; pastors) to tell them what the Bible means, men who didn't and don't understand what real love is going to do to the darkness in the end. Now I understand the wars, violence and emptiness of the church system. It truly is the ***** sitting on the waters (sea of humanity). Now I understand why it has created so much trauma.

The holy spirit does not stick around in an empty system. Satan is always found in the church, and he loves to preach, and he "loves" followers of his corrupted system, until you try to get away.

Quote:
Yes it is. And not only do many not understand it, but many resent the fact that God requires a freewill response from man and say that they want nothing to do with 'a god' who would set any condition on salvation.
Mike, you will wake up one day. I believe it.

(they shall put you out of the synagogues. Yes, I guess they have)

Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

God is love. God is holy. God is truth. God is immutable. The Bible speaks more often of God's holiness than it does His love.

I'll tell you what I told him. Go back and read and reread what I said and make an effort to understand what I said.

You can't love when you don't even know what it is. A false love is not love at all.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
God is love. God is holy. God is truth. God is immutable. The Bible speaks more often of God's holiness than it does His love.

I'll tell you what I told him. Go back and read and reread what I said and make an effort to understand what I said.

You can't love when you don't even know what it is. A false love is not love at all.
You know why He's holy ? Because He abides in Love . Holy people are those who are walking in His love

Loving your neighbor as yourself, you are fulfilling the whole law , tell me this why does it not say "being holy is fullfilling the law , if like as you believe holiness is higher than love ?.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
God is far more than love. He is a Person. God's essence consists of a number of attributes which exist together in perfect harmony and integrity. No one of His attributes will function in a way which will compromise any other of His attributes. God has perfect love and is love. But His love is in perfect balance and relationship with His sovereignty, righteousness, justice, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, immutability, veracity, and eternal life.

It is not love that saves. God's love could not save anyone. God's love could only motivate Him to offer a plan of salvation in which salvation was made possible by His JUSTICE and without compromising His righteousness. Not by His love. Before Adam fell, his point of contact with God was divine love. But God's love could not guarantee that Adam wouldn't lose his relationship with Him. The moment Adam sinned, the relationship between God and man was broken. At that moment, mans point of contact with God switched from divine love to divine justice. It was divine justice which imputed mans sins to Jesus Christ on the cross, and which enabled God to impute His perfect righteousness to the one who believes in Christ resulting in justification of the one who has believed.

God's love for the world - unbelievers, is impersonal love. In impersonal love the virtue is in the one who does the loving, not in the object of the love. In other words, God's love for the world is based on His integrity. Not in anything inherent in man. God does not as one poster said, adore the world. God's love is not some gushing sentimental emotion in which God is ga-ga over man. And God's love will in no way cause Him to compromise His perfection by saving those who don't come to Him through Christ. God has personal love toward the believer. God loves His own righteousness. Since He imputes His own righteousness to the believer, He can personally love the believer.

Nor is the believers personal love for God an empty headed emotion. True love is a mental attitude. And that mental attitude of love is dependent on knowing God. And that means learning the doctrines and principles of the word of God. As the capacity to personally love God increases by learning and applying Bible doctrine to the situations of life, so too will the capacity to have impersonal love for all mankind increase. Believers are never commanded to have personal love for man, but only to have impersonal love. In other words, a believer is commanded to treat others on the basis of his own integrity which is based on his relationship with God. In yet other words, the believer is commanded to treat others on the basis of who and what he is, and not on the basis of who and what they are. Impersonal love is simply the consistant function of your own integrity toward other people. Personal love on the other hand is directed only toward a few.

Impersonal love emphasizes the subject, demands integrity in the subject, requires no personal acquaintance, is directed toward everyone, is unconditional, is virtuous, strong and stable, depends on Bible doctrine, is a problem solver, and is mandatory.

Personal love emphasizes the object, depends upon the attractiveness in the object, requires personal acquaintance, is directed toward a few, is conditional, is virtue dependant, is vulnerable, is volatile, depends on impersonal love, is a problem maker, and is optional.

Eternal salvation is obtained through faith in Christ. Not by love.
Amen!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So let me get this straight. Only those that believe in Christ are saved.

That being said the world is populated by roughly 6 billion people and only 30% of them are Christian. Leaving more than 4 billion people "unsaved". How can anyone rationally believe this?
I don't know, but it makes them feel good. Anyway, just realize that all Christians don't feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity